collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Delph for England  (Read 74732 times)

Offline eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
Re: Delph for England
« Reply #555 on: September 11, 2014, 11:00:13 AM »
Wilshere isn't physically big enough or strong enough to be a defensive midfielder IMO.
Makelele was 5ft 7 and weighed about 10 stone.

And Mascherano is only 5' 8".
Once again this obsession with facts spoils a perfectly futile debate!

Yeah, but what is their density though?

I think it is reasonable to deduce that most footballers are very dense.

Offline adrenachrome

« Reply #556 on: September 12, 2014, 06:07:54 PM »
Birmingham Mail

Aston Villa: Paul Lambert wants new CEO Tom Fox to sort out Fabian Delph's contract

Extended deal for England midfielder is on chief executive's 'to do' list

Sep 12, 2014 15:26
    By Mat Kendrick

Paul Lambert has urged Aston Villa’s new chief executive Tom Fox to help him seal a deal for Fabian Delph as the England midfielder’s contract ticks down.

Fox, who has replaced Paul Faulkner as CEO, started work earlier this week and resolving the futures of several players is high up his ‘to do’ list.

The former Arsenal employee has met Lambert briefly and the boss is anxious for Fox to sort contract extensions for Delph, Ron Vlaar and Jack Grealish.

Current longest serving player Gabby Agbonlahor ended doubts about his future by signing a new four-year deal on Wednesday.

Lambert hopes the arrival of Fox will get things moving with players’ contracts after finance officer Robin Russell filled in as CEO on a temporary basis.

“There a few players who are going to be out of contract, to be honest, and we’ll try to get around to talking to them,” said Lambert.

“I spoke to Fabian early doors and we’ll see how it goes.

“We’ve just got a new chief executive in (Tom Fox) which I’m certain will help.

“I’m pretty sure we’ll sit down with Fabian. I’m not worried. When players get into the last year of their contract, it is what it is.

“It’s not any great issue. Conversations will go on.

“I met Tom the other day, he’s a really good guy and I’m pretty sure things will start to happen pretty soon.”

Lambert was full of praise for Delph after the midfielder’s first start for England in Monday night’s Euro 2016 qualifying win in Switzerland.

After getting booked and flying into tackles during the early stages of the game Delph settled down and produced an encouraging performance.

“I didn’t see his first appearance against Norway because I was away watching a game myself,” said Lambert.

“But I saw his full debut against Switzerland and I thought he grew into the game and was excellent. As the game went on he was great.

“If you perform like that, then hopefully when the next squad is announced he’ll be back in it again.

“He’s been playing well for me for the last few years, so it’s not something that has surprised me. I’ve always said that he wouldn’t let anybody down and I’m delighted for him for the way he played.”

Online PaulWinch again

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #557 on: September 12, 2014, 06:37:59 PM »
“There a few players who are going to be out of contract, to be honest, and we’ll try to get around to talking to them,”

That isn't the most encouraging statement of urgency.

Offline Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #558 on: September 12, 2014, 06:46:33 PM »
“There a few players who are going to be out of contract, to be honest, and we’ll try to get around to talking to them,”

But isn't that kind of how he answers everything? I wouldn't read anything into that. I think most importantly, and he alluded to that with the CEO being there the new contracts will be his priorities.

Online Louzie0

• UTV: I’m retired, hurrah!
  • GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #559 on: September 12, 2014, 06:48:23 PM »
Wilshere isn't physically big enough or strong enough to be a defensive midfielder IMO.
Makelele was 5ft 7 and weighed about 10 stone.

And Mascherano is only 5' 8".

Altogether now

Lifts in your boots
You're wearing lifts in your boots

Offline OCD

• http://www.rightconsultant.com
  • GM : May, 2012
« Reply #560 on: September 12, 2014, 11:25:37 PM »

But isn't that kind of how he answers everything? I wouldn't read anything into that. I think most importantly, and he alluded to that with the CEO being there the new contracts will be his priorities.

He's just calming things down. Is he supposed to look panicked and say "Oh my God, oh my God, we're going to lose him." The contract negotiations will no doubt be urgent priorities for Tom Fox.

Offline peter w

« Reply #561 on: September 13, 2014, 12:20:14 PM »
Delph will sign

Grealish will definitely sign

I think Vlaar is dependent on what the agent has already lined up.

Offline Gregorys Boy

« Reply #562 on: September 13, 2014, 12:56:20 PM »
Delph will sign

Agreed.  Much of it does depend on how we do this season, but I can understand why at his age Vlaar would be tempted to move on.  As long as he sees out his contract and we get some decent money I don't mind that.

Offline GordonCowansisthegreatest

« Reply #563 on: September 13, 2014, 02:09:13 PM »
Delph will sign

Agreed.  Much of it does depend on how we do this season, but I can understand why at his age Vlaar would be tempted to move on.  As long as he sees out his contract and we get some decent money I don't mind that.

If he sees out his contract, we get nothing.

Offline Gregorys Boy

« Reply #564 on: September 13, 2014, 02:29:14 PM »
Delph will sign

If he sees out his contract, we get nothing.

Good point well made!

Online KevinGage

• GM : 20.09.20
« Reply #565 on: September 13, 2014, 02:56:26 PM »
Delph has just made Club England.  I'd say there is more chance of Vlaar remaining, but -as we've left this so late- I think it's likely that both will be off.  Barring silly money offers from new owners.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal