collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Villa fans disrespecting the poppy day silence  (Read 15821 times)

Offline andrew08

• GM : 12.09.2021
Re: Villa fans disrespecting the poppy day silence
« Reply #75 on: November 04, 2013, 04:45:15 PM »
On the subject of beer queueing at half time, as bad as Blackburn became, they had a great machine for pulling 6 pints at a time which made for super quick serving before we wrecked the toilets one season and then oddly enough they stopped selling beer to us after.

After Lambert's statement today about how we've got another 2 years of this shite to put up with ( more if we don't keep the squad together wtf!) I'm more than happy to do the pre half time beer queueing to avoid watching the game.

Offline pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #76 on: November 04, 2013, 07:10:21 PM »
Fans having the audacity to go on free coaches and queuing for a beer are my favourite moans. I like moaning, I'm a brummie it's in my DNA but moan about our midfield.

Congratulations! That's the most ill informed "weigh in on a thread" post I've seen in a while.

You've won the internet.

Online FatSam

« Reply #77 on: November 04, 2013, 07:33:23 PM »
I was still trying to get in the ground whilst the minutes silence was presumably going on. There was a bottleneck as some idiot stewards had decided to close the first two turnstiles that I had patiently queued up at, and it was only after a long wait that I got in through the third one. During this time the Villa supporters outside the ground were understandably getting frustrated and this might have been heard inside the ground.

Offline damon loves JT

• GM : 31.08.2016
« Reply #78 on: November 04, 2013, 07:54:18 PM »
Weirdest minute's silence I ever witnessed was on a cross-channel ferry. The duty free shop was like a game of musical statues, fat lorry drivers standing motionless staring at kilo boxes of Golden Virginia. Middle aged ladies looking sadly and respectfully at big bars of Toblerone.

It was a fitting tribute, I always think.

Offline edgysatsuma89

« Reply #79 on: November 04, 2013, 11:01:23 PM »
I find it very odd what people construe as moaning on here sometimes.

I genuinely couldn't care less what other people did at half time, I merely just don't understand it, especially when some will miss 5 mins of a game they've forked out for just to queue. Everyone's own prerogative.

Offline frankmosswasmyuncle

• GM : 05.09.2024
« Reply #80 on: November 04, 2013, 11:29:43 PM »
I don't see why every club has to mark this occasion, only if they have a home game at the time. I do hope that these are not being introduced for fear of the club being criticised for a lack of aknowledgement following the recent accusations of "poppy fascism".

Laying of wreaths by club dignitaries is rather over the top as well. Surely this type of ceremony should be confined to services and events at memorial sites?

As ever with commemoration I believe less is more.

Quite correct Nec. On every single point.

9 days before is a little excessive. Not surprised some fans didn't know it was happening.
Rememberance Sunday and the actual 11th November itself is sufficient.
tbh it took me a while on Saturday to realise what was going on and why we were having a minute's silence. I assumed it was for someone connected with WHam, then I sort of realised. I'd been talking to the bloke next to me.
I just think it's inappropriate that far ahead of the real date. A minute's silence at the games nearest to 11/11 is respectful. To do it nearly 10 days in advance is taking it a bit too far imho.
My boss was wearing his poppy two weeks ago! What the f**k's that about? To show he cares more than everybody else?
It's Christmas Day on 25th December, but f**k it, let's start tomorrow!

Offline frankmosswasmyuncle

• GM : 05.09.2024
« Reply #81 on: November 04, 2013, 11:35:59 PM »
And...I was in the ground about 2 o'clock and queued for about half an hour to get a beer. There were FIVE people in front of me when I joined the queue! They need to get  time and motion bloke in. The service was shite!

My mate's daughter is disabled and when she came with us last year was told she would have to use the loo at the other end of the ground!
(A very nice, very old WHam lady steward took her to the ordinary ladies in the end.)

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #82 on: November 04, 2013, 11:48:22 PM »
I suppose they can't be arsed to improve facilities when they're leaving soon.

Offline Pat McMahon

« Reply #83 on: November 04, 2013, 11:59:26 PM »
I remember a special 2 minutes silence in November 2004, which for some reason was observed outside  our building. After we trotted back inside to our desks a young Australian temp asked a colleague of mine " was that for Emlyn Hughes?" (He had died a few days previously ).

Offline Dave Clark Five

• Location: In Doctor Who's Tardis trying to find Villa Park anytime between 1970 and 1972.
  • GM : June, 2013
« Reply #84 on: November 05, 2013, 06:18:18 AM »
I find it very odd what people construe as moaning on here sometimes.

I genuinely couldn't care less what other people did at half time, I merely just don't understand it, especially when some will miss 5 mins of a game they've forked out for just to queue. Everyone's own prerogative.

Some like to drink, like me (but rarely in the away end of a football ground). Others like to be seen drinking.

Offline Dr Butler

• GM : 10.08.2022
« Reply #85 on: November 05, 2013, 08:45:55 AM »
Weirdest minute's silence I ever witnessed was on a cross-channel ferry. The duty free shop was like a game of musical statues, fat lorry drivers standing motionless staring at kilo boxes of Golden Virginia. Middle aged ladies looking sadly and respectfully at big bars of Toblerone.

It was a fitting tribute, I always think.

Damon that has cheered me up...what a lovely story..

Offline nodge

• GM : 23.02.2024
« Reply #86 on: November 05, 2013, 08:59:49 AM »
I always used to find if you got more pissed than the pissed up knobheads you tended not to notice them so much.

Offline Dave Clark Five

• Location: In Doctor Who's Tardis trying to find Villa Park anytime between 1970 and 1972.
  • GM : June, 2013
« Reply #87 on: November 05, 2013, 10:12:07 AM »
I always used to find if you got more pissed than the pissed up knobheads you tended not to notice them so much.

That will be why I managed to go so many seasons without noticing them. There were times when I couldn't enter a football ground unless I had had at least a gallon, especially in the mid - late 80s.

Offline edgysatsuma89

« Reply #88 on: November 05, 2013, 11:02:40 AM »

That will be why I managed to go so many seasons without noticing them. There were times when I couldn't enter a football ground unless I had had at least a gallon, especially in the mid - late 80s.

Haha, top tips, I may have to see how much more damage my liver can take before the Cardiff match. If you see a man attempting to fly from the upper north, that'll be me.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal