collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Posts

Re: Jacob Ramsey by Percy McCarthy
[Today at 05:46:28 AM]

Re: Championship Memories by villabear
[Today at 04:37:35 AM]

Re: Championship Memories by Rory
[Today at 04:07:17 AM]

Re: Lille vs Aston Villa post-match thread by olaftab
[Today at 02:42:51 AM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by olaftab
[Today at 02:30:08 AM]

Re: Championship Memories by aj2k77
[Today at 02:00:12 AM]

Re: Championship Memories by Pete3206
[Today at 01:38:56 AM]

Re: Emiliano Martinez - World Cup winner and officially best keeper in the world by Rory
[Today at 01:30:04 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Steve B****** Hodge  (Read 24836 times)

Offline bertlambshank

• GM : 30.06.2019
Re: Steve B****** Hodge
« Reply #30 on: October 27, 2013, 04:48:31 PM »
Never quite understood the hate for Hodge

I did and felt the same 27 yrs ago - now though its long gone .
Some things you can never forget.

Not forgotten but many players have shit on us since then and downing will incur my wrath on Saturday.

Thats my point. Seem to recall Hodge acting like a knob but plenty have done the same since
Not like he did.

Offline Rudy65

« Reply #31 on: October 27, 2013, 04:51:41 PM »
Never quite understood the hate for Hodge

If you were around in 1986 you would.

I was

And you can't understand why he was so hated?

No, hence my query. Recall he wanted away when we were struggling. Nothing new with footballers. What else?

As I said in the last post, plenty have acted similar since. Downing and Ireland spring to mind. Benteke asking for a transfer in the summer wasnt exactly an endorsement of loyalty

Offline dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #32 on: October 27, 2013, 04:58:33 PM »
First of all, we were in the shit when he put his transfer request in. Bottom of the league and doomed already, in September. Better players than he were committed to the Villa but he decided he wanted out. Except he waited until he was out of the country, playing for England, before he made the request. Then there was the Norwich game. Then he did several interviews in which he said he wanted to play for a big club. All this while his current club were struggling. Then, several months later he moved. His parting shot was "My ambitions were always to play for England and play for a big club." Not once did he express any gratitude for the club that had got him into the England team. That's not just asking for a transfer.

Offline Rudy65

« Reply #33 on: October 27, 2013, 05:08:40 PM »
First of all, we were in the shit when he put his transfer request in. Bottom of the league and doomed already, in September. Better players than he were committed to the Villa but he decided he wanted out. Except he waited until he was out of the country, playing for England, before he made the request. Then there was the Norwich game. Then he did several interviews in which he said he wanted to play for a big club. All this while his current club were struggling. Then, several months later he moved. His parting shot was "My ambitions were always to play for England and play for a big club." Not once did he express any gratitude for the club that had got him into the England team. That's not just asking for a transfer.

Ok. Thanks for the info. Sounds more Rooneyesque than Benteke.

Isnt Barry saying he wants to play in the champs league, similar

Offline dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #34 on: October 27, 2013, 05:09:35 PM »

Ok. Thanks for the info. Sounds more Rooneyesque than Benteke.

Isnt Barry saying he wants to play in the champs league, similar

Barry had given us ten years and we weren't bottom of the league at the time.

Offline silhillvilla

• GM : Dec, 2014
« Reply #35 on: October 27, 2013, 05:12:39 PM »
Hodge is/was a bloody disgrace.

Offline olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
« Reply #36 on: October 27, 2013, 05:30:44 PM »
Cheap, lying, no-good, rotten, four-flushing, low-life, snake-licking, dirt-eating, inbred, overstuffed, ignorant, blood-sucking, dog-kissing, brainless, dickless, hopeless, heartless, fat-ass, bug-eyed, stiff-legged, spotty-lipped, worm-headed sack of monkey shit.
OK that's enough praise what about his bad points?
« Last Edit: October 27, 2013, 05:33:53 PM by olaftab »

Offline Andy_Lochhead_in_the_air

• Location: Upton Park....No, Olympic Stadium....No, Aston Park...Yes that's it,Turf Moor.
« Reply #37 on: October 27, 2013, 06:47:00 PM »
I think withdrawing Grealish and never dealing with them until Hodge has gone would make us look really small time.
Much better to send a couple of coachloads of our supporters to County games and have pitch invasions. Some bedsheets, paint and paintbrushes are also required for protests outside his home. Failing this, spray paint the words `Cock Piss Hodge` all over his club car.

Offline Exeter 77

« Reply #38 on: October 27, 2013, 08:51:49 PM »
All the abuse and bile aimed at Yorke, Southgate, Downing and Young multiplied by 10 is still less than half what Hodge deserves.

Offline Chris Harte

« Reply #39 on: October 27, 2013, 09:07:39 PM »
After 27 years I won't waste too many keypresses on the events of *that* Norwich home game, suffice to say that if he'd wanted the supporters to turn against him so that he'd somehow have another excuse to engineer a move then he couldn't ever have done a better job.

Offline BoskoDjembaSalifou

• BoskoDjembaSalifou
« Reply #40 on: October 27, 2013, 10:09:39 PM »
What happened against Norwich?

Offline OzVilla

• GM : 16.08.2023
« Reply #41 on: October 27, 2013, 11:40:31 PM »
The most half hearted display in a Villa shirt you could ever imagine (and yes that includes Yorkies at Everton and Paul Mortimer's at Coventry) culminating in a leisurely or deliberate (depending on whether your a conspiracy theorist) half hit back pass that resulted in a Norwich goal right in front of the Holte End.

The place went mental whilst Hodge trudged off looking to all the world like he just didn't give a fuck.  Don't think he played for us again but I could be mistaken.

Was that really 27 years ago - holy shit!!!

Offline saunders_heroes

• GM : 25.02.2025
« Reply #42 on: October 28, 2013, 09:15:45 AM »
The most half hearted display in a Villa shirt you could ever imagine (and yes that includes Yorkies at Everton and Paul Mortimer's at Coventry) culminating in a leisurely or deliberate (depending on whether your a conspiracy theorist) half hit back pass that resulted in a Norwich goal right in front of the Holte End.

The place went mental whilst Hodge trudged off looking to all the world like he just didn't give a fuck.  Don't think he played for us again but I could be mistaken.

I can't remember Mortmer's performance, what did he do?
I do remember him scoring the 3rd or 4th goal of a thrashing of some team at Villa Park where he took offence at the Holte End because they didn't celebrate the goal like it was a last minute winner. I always thought that was the straw that broke the camel's back. Atkinson dropped him afterwards and he was soon out the door.

Offline eastie

« Reply #43 on: October 28, 2013, 09:34:15 AM »

I thought it was at the wittn lane end the pack pass which Norwich scored - I was in the trinity rd stand at the time.

Offline saunders_heroes

• GM : 25.02.2025
« Reply #44 on: October 28, 2013, 09:37:02 AM »

I thought it was at the wittn lane end the pack pass which Norwich scored - I was in the trinity rd stand at the time.

No it was definitely the Holte.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal