collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Results after unexpected wins.  (Read 2504 times)

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
Results after unexpected wins.
« on: October 27, 2013, 11:22:12 AM »
Diabolical if you look closely at it.

Normally in football when a team gets a shock win naturally confidence is high and they go on a good run. I remember Norwich last season when they beat Arsenal 1 nil at home and they went on I think an excellent 10 game unbeaten run which included a win at home to Man. United.

Everton started the season with 3 unispiring draws against Norwich, WBA and Cardiff. The turning point for them was then beating Chelsea at home and they've been excellent since.

Now onto us....

Beat Liverpool away 3-1. I was buzzing after that, the infamous 15 goals of xmas followed.

Now onto this season, Arsenal away, fantastic. Three defeats followed. A tough start but still a disappointment.

Probably the big one for me was Man. City. A great 2nd half, excellent win and surely that would give players belief we can eek out wins at home. What has followed is 1 point from 9, two straight home defeats and no goals!

Not good enough this mentality, that's something that's worrying me about Lambert's reign in that we can never follow up a great result with a consistent run of form afterwards.

Offline Billy Walker

Re: Results after unexpected wins.
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2013, 04:38:54 PM »
Let's see how the season pans out.

Offline olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2013, 06:04:03 PM »
There are many many different ways we can be miserable and you will find them all on H&V!

Offline sirlordbaltimore

« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2013, 06:24:31 PM »

The old adage, 'look at the table after ten games' springs to mind. That said we've played 9 and it looks as grim as usual

Maybe we'll have folks telling us to look after twenty games this season seeing as we're apparently so shit now that we can never expect to beat anyone that's considered a good side. And that apparently includes those titans of the game Newcastle & Everton at home

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2013, 07:05:07 PM »
Tbf this wasn't another debate on how good a side we may or may not be. I look at the table tonight and we are the grand total of 1 point off 9th place, a position I'd be happy to be in after the 38th game this season.

I was just wondering why we tend to achieve an excellent result, the next games our form nosedives when normally you'd expect a team to gain a physiological boost from such a result.

Offline sirlordbaltimore

« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2013, 08:11:49 PM »
I look at the table tonight and we are the grand total of 1 point off 9th place, a position I'd be happy to be in after the 38th game this season.

Noted, we're also 2 points off a relegation place. A position i wont be happy to be in after 38 games

Offline VillaAlways

• GM : 23.10.2016
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2013, 08:30:33 PM »
They seem to crumble when expectation levels are raised a notch following an unexpected result. It's getting quite tedious actually

Offline ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2013, 08:50:30 PM »
Our defensive record tells you everything, because we concede goals in just about every game we can not put a run of results together.

Offline amfy

• GM : 07.07.2024
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2013, 09:01:21 PM »
I already posted on facebook that I think of this weekend as my Villa anniversary. It was 36 years ago this weekend that I first stood on The Holte End & although I had been to matches before that, 29.10.77 was the day I fell in love with the enigma that is Aston Villa.

We beat Manchester United 2-1 that day, a week later we went to Anfield & beat Liverpool 2-1. The week after that? Lost at home to Middlesborough 1-0.

Twas ever thus.

Offline Havencheese

« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2013, 02:39:31 AM »
Young sides are notoriously inconsistent. In some parts it's obvious the side is still gelling together with numerous new arrivals over the summer. Lambert basically cleared the joint out and started from scratch and that takes time. Perhaps some of us are a little impatient, in fact most of us are to an extent and while Lambo doesn't deserve all the time in the world it's clearly evident it will take time. I would say as for every loss to a mediocre side we're starting to pull out those miraculous scalps and that's what's different with last year.

I'm not so much worried about a loss to a good team like Everton, a game we really could've steamrolled but lost as we simply just failed to take our chances. I'm more concerned about lack of cohesion at times which relates back to us still being unsettled by being a young inconsistent side.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal