collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Posts

Follow us on...

Author Topic: At home but where is the comfort?  (Read 51191 times)

Offline ROBBO

• GM : 15.01.2025
Re: At home but where is the comfort?
« Reply #30 on: October 27, 2013, 06:49:47 AM »
Lerners reduced the payroll which had to be done, the best we can hope for is that we are a more attractive proposition for any potential buyer. This isn't Knocking Lerner he put a lot of money into the wrong hands and got his fingers burnt but by his continued absence from Villa Park it would seem the love affair is over. I think we all got a little bit ahead of ourselves with the success of Benteke when you fish at the bottom of the pool you usually hook a lot of rubbish and i will be gobsmacked if more than one of this summers purchases prove to be worth while. The manager continues to pick players that are woefully out of form, there could be one of two reasons, the first is that he has a touch of MON about him and he has favourites or secondly he doesn't believe there is anyone better to put in. An inditement either way.

Online Andy_Lochhead_in_the_air

• Location: Upton Park....No, Olympic Stadium....No, Aston Park...Yes that's it,Turf Moor.
« Reply #31 on: October 27, 2013, 06:59:45 AM »
Before reading the thread I would have said it was a combination of things.
Having read the thread and some of the negative comments about Lambert, maybe it is the fans ?

Offline saunders_heroes

• GM : 25.02.2025
« Reply #32 on: October 27, 2013, 07:17:30 AM »
Having read the thread and some of the negative comments about Lambert, maybe it is the fans ?

It's the fans fault we're so poor at home? How does that work then?

Offline Phil from the upper holte

« Reply #33 on: October 27, 2013, 07:31:18 AM »

I don't think it's the fans fault but I do sometimes think players are scared to make a mistake

Offline saunders_heroes

« Reply #34 on: October 27, 2013, 07:33:55 AM »

I don't think it's the fans fault but I do sometimes think players are scared to make a mistake

I think the fans have very fair and unbelievably patient with Villa under Lambert considering the shit they've put us through (especially at home). Blaming the fans sounds like a convenient excuse to me.

Offline Phil from the upper holte

« Reply #35 on: October 27, 2013, 07:42:03 AM »

I think the fans have very fair and unbelievably patient with Villa under Lambert considering the shit they've put us through (especially at home). Blaming the fans sounds like a convenient excuse to me.

I do agree, I don't blame the fans

Offline eastie

« Reply #36 on: October 27, 2013, 07:44:21 AM »
The key for me watching everton was the mix of youth and experience in their team , Barry was superb for them and it concerns me whenever lambert is asked about experience and he says experienced layers guarantee you nothing .
The team and squad are packed with players lacking in premiership experience and I'm not even sure we have 1 player who has even played 50 games at this level.

It's all well and good bringing in young and hungry but you need the right blend , when things go wrong there are no old heads or leaders to help the younger lads - i do not see lambert changing his policy regarding signing experience as he seems set against it sadly.

Offline saunders_heroes

« Reply #37 on: October 27, 2013, 07:45:59 AM »

I do agree, I don't blame the fans

Agreed. Lambert can count himself lucky Ellis isn't still in charge, as the fans would have slaughtered him by now, and he probably would have been sacked as well.

Offline saunders_heroes

« Reply #38 on: October 27, 2013, 07:48:13 AM »
The key for me watching everton was the mix of youth and experience in their team , Barry was superb for them and it concerns me whenever lambert is asked about experience and he says experienced layers guarantee you nothing .
The team and squad are packed with players lacking in premiership experience and I'm not even sure we have 1 player who has even played 50 games at this level.

It's all well and good bringing in young and hungry but you need the right blend , when things go wrong there are no old heads or leaders to help the younger lads - i do not see lambert changing his policy regarding signing experience as he seems set against it sadly.

Ive said it before on here, I'm convinced the real reason Lambert goes for youth is because of the lack of funds. Experienced players want good wages - something Lerner won't pay anymore, and we're suffering for it.

Offline Navin R Johnson

« Reply #39 on: October 27, 2013, 07:49:13 AM »
I do not think there is any club, with the possible exception of Newcastle who whose fans would have put up with the truly abominable rubbish we have had served up by the club in the post MON era and still turned up in such numbers.   The single one thing which is not wrong with the club is the fans.   Gluttons for punishment are the words which spring to mind.

Offline eastie

« Reply #40 on: October 27, 2013, 07:51:21 AM »

Ive said it before on here, I'm convinced the real reason Lambert goes for youth is because of the lack of funds. Experienced players want good wages - something Lerner won't pay anymore, and we're suffering for it.

Maybe , but he quickly jettisoned the experienced players he inherited - maybe he feels the young up and coming players will buy into his methods to coin a phrase.

Randy has backed his manager when many others may have pulled the trigger last year - it will be an extremely big couple of months ahead now and lambert must deliver results - the jury is out for me at the moment but no question the home form must improve and fast.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2013, 07:54:28 AM by eastie »

Offline claret and blue blood

« Reply #41 on: October 27, 2013, 08:01:39 AM »
It isn't the fans,we have been very patient,each individual game you can point to tactics,e.g. Martinez sending Osman on and we go 2 in midfield.The underlying factor though is Lerner,I spent years hating Ellis as he ran us like a corner shop and we are now getting the same American style.The best spell se ever had was when neither were involved.Sadly now our only hope is he sells us to a trillionaire.

Offline eastie

« Reply #42 on: October 27, 2013, 08:09:22 AM »
It isn't the fans,we have been very patient,each individual game you can point to tactics,e.g. Martinez sending Osman on and we go 2 in midfield.The underlying factor though is Lerner,I spent years hating Ellis as he ran us like a corner shop and we are now getting the same American style.The best spell se ever had was when neither were involved.Sadly now our only hope is he sells us to a trillionaire.

I do get the feeling that randy has given up on his hopes of taking the club into the upper echelons and is happy to finish in and around midtable - however we are not even achieving that and with the money he has provided i feel we should be able to comfortably be around  midtable .

I'm not sure what randys long term plans are but multi billionaires are thin on the ground regarding football as everton have found out .kenwright has been prepared to sell for years to the right people and they have never come along .

Offline fredm

• GM : 02.09.2024
« Reply #43 on: October 27, 2013, 08:24:49 AM »

This to me is the major factor. We have no leaders on the pitch. No one to either bawl at or console the younger players. To keep them going, to go again (to coin a phrase). Yesterday after the opening salvo of the second half we gradually slipped away as Everton came back into the game. We needed someone to get at our players, get their heads up, drain that last bit of energy from them, and maybe, just maybe, we would have nicked a goal and everything would have been so different.

Offline Navin R Johnson

« Reply #44 on: October 27, 2013, 08:39:49 AM »
Spot on fredm

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal