collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: At home but where is the comfort?  (Read 51108 times)

Offline aj2k77

Re: At home but where is the comfort?
« Reply #15 on: October 26, 2013, 11:35:33 PM »
If a chairman and his lackeys make 3 poor managerial appointments in a row to be honest it's probably time they take a walk themselves.

Offline supertom

« Reply #16 on: October 26, 2013, 11:38:44 PM »

If results don't go our way in November it may be time for Randy to consider the managers position, whilst there's time to do something about it and prepare a new man for Jan. 

To give us our fifth manager in 3 1/2 years. There's a recipe for success.
Don't knock it, Fergies available! ;)

But if we're in the bottom 3 after nearly 18 months in charge it's not good. Which could well happen. We've got tough games coming up, particularly as these teams around us will fancy a result too and we know how much the Tesco's will want to twist the knife in if we've had a couple more shit results before meeting them.

Offline pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #17 on: October 26, 2013, 11:44:55 PM »

If results don't go our way in November it may be time for Randy to consider the managers position, whilst there's time to do something about it and prepare a new man for Jan. 

But if we're in the bottom 3 after nearly 18 months in charge it's not good. Which could well happen.

Don't get me wrong, I am as sick as the next man with our shit performances and results at home, and I too worry about us mooking around the arse end of the table, but saying "if we're in the bottom three, which could well happen" when we are 13th and have just had a really tough round of opening fixtures strikes me as a bit over the top.

Offline TonyD

« Reply #18 on: October 26, 2013, 11:48:19 PM »
PL inherited a situation on par with what SGT called a "shambles" but  in a modern league that requires millions and managerial genius to do well.  Time will tell but patience is the key.  It ain't the ground or the fans by the way. 

Offline supertom

« Reply #19 on: October 26, 2013, 11:49:14 PM »

But if we're in the bottom 3 after nearly 18 months in charge it's not good. Which could well happen.

Don't get me wrong, I am as sick as the next man with our shit performances and results at home, and I too worry about us mooking around the arse end of the table, but saying "if we're in the bottom three, which could well happen" when we are 13th and have just had a really tough round of opening fixtures strikes me as a bit over the top.
Not particularly. We're struggling to score at the moment and we look like we'll ship goals. Granted not as many as last season. I think it would be just as over the top to take these games lightly and expect us to turn things around, which of course could happen, but after the last couple of games I'm sadly in the glass half empty camp.
Some magic from the big man wouldn't go amiss.

Offline pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #20 on: October 26, 2013, 11:50:21 PM »
Look at the next six fixtures and look at the last.

Worrying about being bottom three is gigantic overkill, no matter how feeble we can be.

Dropping into the bottom three would not just constitute failing to turn things around, it would be a significant worsening.

Offline Phil from the upper holte

« Reply #21 on: October 26, 2013, 11:59:13 PM »
I don't want Lambert sacked, he's just gotta sort it at home especially

Offline supertom

« Reply #22 on: October 27, 2013, 12:00:59 AM »
After 3 years of spending large amounts of the season in the bottom 3, if we dropped in there again it wouldn't surprise me in the slightest.  :-\

I always worry too when we have more of an expectation to win. To be fair we won absolute must wins against those around us last season, but we're still capable of results like the home games against Wigan and Newcastle last season (and Newcastle this).

Offline Dave Clark Five

• Location: In Doctor Who's Tardis trying to find Villa Park anytime between 1970 and 1972.
  • GM : June, 2013
« Reply #23 on: October 27, 2013, 12:15:38 AM »
There is no atmosphere in the ground. Our fans need motivating to do other than just turn up. Say what you like, it is too quiet in there. We need to generate something and the team should be instrumental in that.

Offline aj2k77

« Reply #24 on: October 27, 2013, 12:26:29 AM »
There is very little to get excited about. No set of fans are going to be sitting there going wild watching Westwood pass 4 yards sideways and Tonev blazing another shot into the stands from 30 yards.

Offline AVH87

• GM : 13.02.2021
« Reply #25 on: October 27, 2013, 12:34:04 AM »
There is no atmosphere in the ground. Our fans need motivating to do other than just turn up. Say what you like, it is too quiet in there. We need to generate something and the team should be instrumental in that.

I thought we were pretty good today. Where I sit in the holte upper we were singing loads in the first half and I only actually heard Everton once in first 70 mins.

We need more leaders out there, and the much maligned experience for me.

Offline Chinchilla Bathhouse

• GM : 25.01.2020
« Reply #26 on: October 27, 2013, 01:35:31 AM »
There is very little to get excited about. No set of fans are going to be sitting there going wild watching Westwood pass 4 yards sideways and Tonev blazing another shot into the stands from 30 yards.

Bloody hell.  Do you take this sort of attitude into the ground with you?  Can't they frisk you and relieve you of misery on the way in?  If you unleash this incessant vitriol on here what are you like in the stadium?  Maybe we're crap at home because we've got too much "support" like yours? 

Offline Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #27 on: October 27, 2013, 01:53:10 AM »
As gutting as today was it's important to remember that Martinez took over a team/squad that has taken 10 years to build by the same manager and same philosophy. Martinez has built on that. Lambert has taken over from 5 years of chopping and changing and turmoil. Let's not give up on him yet.

Offline mark1968

« Reply #28 on: October 27, 2013, 02:47:46 AM »
Lack of Investment. Wages that just aren't going to attract the required quality. Get used to it why Lerner remains..

The squad is so thin on quality. A one man team.

Offline Navin R Johnson

« Reply #29 on: October 27, 2013, 06:49:35 AM »
I cannot add to the general consensus of this thread which is right on the money.   However, one factor which has not been touched on is the mental fragility of the players who have developed a losing mentality at home.   We tend to forget that most young players are physically mature but mentally less so.   I know what a dickhead I was in my late teens and early twenties.

Never once in yesterday's game did I see one of the senior pros have a word of encouragement or support with a rookie who had made a mistake.   A captain in the mould of Martin or Olof would make a big difference at home games.   An extrovert larger than life manager like BFR or SGT would also help.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal