collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Happy Birthday Harry Kartz  (Read 7182 times)

Online dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
Happy Birthday Harry Kartz
« on: October 26, 2013, 12:18:00 AM »
100 today. They truly don't make 'em like that anymore.

Online Virgil Caine

• Location: Bedfordshire and its not as bad as you think it might be.
  • GM : 15.07.2024
Re: Happy Birthday Harry Kartz
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2013, 12:30:28 AM »
Amazing to think that when he was born in 1913 Villa had played Everton probably only a handful of times. Well done Mr Kartz and I hope those who arrange such things will mark the day accordingly ( which I am sure they will)

Offline villan from luton

« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2013, 12:59:21 AM »
He deserves far more credit than he got for the good times, enjoy as much as you can Harry

Offline The Left Side

« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2013, 03:10:45 AM »
Happy Birthday Harry

Offline eastie

« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2013, 07:09:49 AM »
Best wishes to a true gent and lovely man - happy birthday harry :)

Offline Andy_Lochhead_in_the_air

• Location: Upton Park....No, Olympic Stadium....No, Aston Park...Yes that's it,Turf Moor.
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2013, 07:21:24 AM »
Happy Birthday Harry Kartz.
There are not many who can say the Villa have won the FA Cup twice in their lifetime.

Offline eastie

« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2013, 07:45:20 AM »
Nice piece here in the mail where Harry talked a few years ago about his time at villa-

Quote from: mail

VILLA'S chairman in the season they last won the League Championship believes the club will be much poorer without Doug Ellis at the helm.

Ellis is expected to be absent for six months after undergoing triple heart bypass surgery last month.

But according to Harry Kartz, who spent 16 years on the Villa board and was chairman from 1979 to 1981, Ellis will be back - and stronger than ever.

The Hockley-born 91-year-old actually sided with Ron and Don Bendall to oust Ellis from the board following a 1979 power struggle which saw Doug head for Birmingham City and Wolves.

But he admits that Ellis has always had the best interests of Villa at heart, and they only ever fell out because they both felt they could run the club better than the manager!

Kartz said: "I saw Doug just a month or so ago and he looked very well and was still busily working away.

"He is pretty strong. He's got tremendous willpower and I'm very optimistic about how he will cope after this operation.

"He doesn't let things like this worry him and he'll want to be back at Villa Park next week!

"Steve Stride is very experienced and is a solid individual. He's been there a long time and Villa are in safe hands.

"There won't be a crisis down there, that's the way things have been set up by Doug.

"The club is on some very sound footings - there are good men there.

"And I don't think it has been that bad a time for Villa, in any case, it's just that the team don't score enough goals."

Kartz and Ellis had been business acquaintances long before Doug was appointed chairman on December 16, 1968, after Pat Matthews' buy-out.

"We had horses together," he recalls.

Kartz's horse, Wellington Bomber, even finished third in the Irish 2000 Guineas.

He said: "Doug and myself both think we know everything. And we both thought that we knew more than the manager.

"I've mellowed a lot. I get on with everyone now.

"But back then Doug, Ron Saunders and myself all wanted to be the boss. But you can't get away from the fact that Doug is one hell of a businessman.

"You can bet your life on Doug."

Kartz revealed that, unlike Ellis, he had always been a reluctantchairman himself.

"I was chairman for two years, but I wasn't a good one - I hated the publicity," he said. "Ron Bendall had the majority shareholding and he had asked me.

"I offered it to Eric Houghton but he wouldn't take it."

Kartz looks back with a great deal of affection on those heady days at Villa.

"I've had a good life," he says. "Sport has been everything for me.

"I even met my wife, Dorothy, through football and we've been married 65 years. I've been very lucky.

"Villa were always my team and it's been 85 years since I first went there.

"I was the only one left from the original Ellis board when Villa won the European Cup.

"I was in America on business during the final, but I think I played my part in putting together that side."

Kartz, as deputy chairman, joined Bob Mackay and former first-teamer Harry Parkes on Ellis' first board with Tommy Docherty brought in as team manager.

He recalls: "I had been in the Villa Shareholders Association and was one of the leading lights invited in by Matthews, the president.

"We were a good bunch. I had the job of funding a sports ground and Mackay found us Bodymoor Heath.

"I was in charge of the youth set-up. Tommy Docherty, as manager, sent me up to Scotland to see Jimmy Brown, a young lad up there who was wanted by Arsenal.

"But we also brought in crackers like John Gidman and Brian Little.

"Peter Doherty was our chief scout from July 1968 to October 1970 and when we signed Brian he told us: "He's got it - don't let anyone coach it out of him!"

"We took three or four players out of the Scottish youth set-up, including Brown."

Kartz resigned the chair in 1981 - the year they won the title - after falling out with Ron Saunders over a signing.

He said: "They were great times. We were very lucky as we had some very good managers.

"Tommy Docherty brought the place back to life. He had personality.

"Vic Crowe was very unlucky. There was that goal disallowed at Leicester that came out after hitting the stanchion."

Villa lost 1-0 in April 1970 and despite beating both Middlesbrough and Sheffield United in their final two matches were relegated to the old Third Division.

Kartz went on: "Then Ron Saunders was excellent. The players he signed all came for peanuts. He was a hard man, but a great manager.

"It is the manager who runs a club and he did that very, very well.

"Jimmy Rimmer was a great keeper and one of the best signings, in my opinion, was Des Bremner, who was a powerhouse. Ron turned Kenny Swain from a winger to a defender. Then there was Ken McNaught and Tony Morley. The list goes on."

Kartz revealed he resigned the chair after falling out with Saunders over his proposed move for Mick Ferguson from Coventry City.

Kartz gently persuaded the manager to instead go for Nottingham Forest's Peter Withe who eventually signed for #500,000 in May 1980.

"We had a disagreement," he recalls. "He wanted to take Ferguson, but I'd seen him play and wasn't impressed.

"I don't regret not letting him sign Ferguson. Withe was a far better player than Ferguson would ever be.

"Withe had been terrific at Forest. You daren't say to any manager 'sign this player' but Withe set up so many goals for the likes of Gary Shaw.

"But I feel that a club must have a chairman who is able to get on with his manager, so I asked Ron Bendall to take over.

"Then Bendall went to the Isle of Man to live, so we had our arguments over that."

Kartz bitterly regrets the fact that Saunders quit Villa for Blues at a time when Villa really could have challenged Liverpool to become the team of the 1980s.

He said: "I bumped into him at John Robson's funeral. He looked well and we had a long chat.

"He was one of the best - right up there with Bill Shankly and Brian Clough for what he did at Villa.

"When he left I told Ron Bendall we mustn't get a new manager in. When that happens they get rid of players to get their own in and alter the set-up.

"So we went with Tony Barton and won the European Cup. Then Doug sacked Barton in May 1984. We got a new manager (Graham Turner) and a new set-up."

Kartz doesn't blame Ellis for Barton's hasty demise.

He said: "That's Doug's prerogative. He does what he wants to do. He owned the club.

"The general public don't know what goes on in the Villa boardroom.

"I read in a book recently 'Harry Kartz appointed the managers but Bendall had the real power' - that was rubbish.

"He never knew anything of what was going on day-to-day.

"But I still say that I wasn't a good chairman. I could never do what Doug does. He has been great for the club."

Offline flybo

• GM : Jan, 2013
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2013, 08:26:33 AM »
Happy Birthday Harry

Offline frankmosswasmyuncle

• GM : 05.09.2024
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2013, 10:40:16 AM »
Happy Birthday Harry.
A Hockley boy - a big chunk of our family was from Hockley.

Online dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2013, 11:08:29 AM »
http://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/harry-kartz---last-aston-6243472

Harry Kartz - last Villa chairman to win the top-flight - celebrates 100th birthday

Kartz was in charge at Villa Park when Ron Saunders famously led the claret and blues to the First Division championship in 1981

Harry Kartz, the last chairman to win the top-flight title with Villa, celebrates his 100th birthday today.

Kartz headed up the board when manager Ron Saunders famously led the claret and blues to the First Division championship in 1981.

The centurion will celebrate his milestone birthday with a quiet meal with 17 of his relatives in Knowle this evening.

Kartz, whose wife of 72 years, Dorothy, passed away in February last year, is in good health and is still able to drive locally.

He has two sons, John, 68, and Graham, 64, five grandchildren, and seven great-grandchildren.

He was due to receive a telegram from the grandmother of famous Villa fan Prince William – the Queen – at his Solihull home this morning.

Kartz has been invited to Villa Park as a guest of honour for a game in the near future, while the club will mark the occasion with a piece in the programme for this afternoon’s Premier League match against Everton.

A self-made businessman, who built up his own engineering companies, he spent 16 years on the Villa board from 1968-1984 and was chairman from 1979-81.

After his family and Villa, Kartz’s other passion was for horse-racing and he owned runners in the Derby and the Prix de l’Arc de Triomphe.

Speaking to the Birmingham Mail yesterday, Kartz said he felt “lucky” to reach the grand old age of 100 and “proud” to have been involved in the greatest era of Villa’s history.

“Considering how old I am, I don’t feel too bad,” he said. “I still get about, I still drive every day, I still get out for a coffee every day and I still get to the betting shop every day. I feel very lucky to have had the life I had. Seventy years ago I was flying Wellington Bombers over Germany for the RAF during World War II and I got away with that, so I feel very lucky.”

Kartz keeps a close eye on Villa’s results and is pleased to have been invited back to the club where he helped oversee so much success more than three decades ago.

“I still follow Aston Villa – I’ve been a bit disappointed with them in the last few years but I think they’re coming back to form now,’’ he said.

‘‘I don’t go the matches because I’m not good with crowds. I was proud to be the chairman when we won the league and was proud to be a director when we won the European Cup. It’s all gone very well for me.”

Kartz, who was born in Hockley and first attended Villa as a six-year-old in 1919, originally joined the board in 1968.

He had been in the Villa Shareholders Association and became a deputy chairman under Doug Ellis following Pat Matthews’ takeover. Kartz sided with Ron and Don Bendall to oust Ellis from the board following a 1979 power struggle.

Ellis headed for Birmingham City and Wolves, while Villa enjoyed two glorious seasons in 1981 and 1982.

Despite the boardroom issues at Villa, which obviously put a strain on their friendship, Kartz and Ellis and their respective families have continued to get on well down the years.

During his time at the club, Kartz played a major role in helping Villa acquire Bodymoor Heath, which remains their training base.

He was also in charge of the youth set-up and was influential in the claret and blues recruiting players including Brian Little and John Gidman. Kartz’s son John said his father retains a strong affinity with Villa.

“He still meets up with Steve Stride (former club secretary) and his wife Caroline for a coffee a couple of times a year,” he said.

“The last time he went was in 2007 for the 25th anniversary celebrations of the European Cup. A lot of that group, Ken McNaught, Kenny Swain, Des Bremner and Gordon Cowans and so on, love him from his time at the club.

“It’s lovely to be invited back to Villa Park for a game.

“Dad is quite a private man. Even when he was the chairman at Villa he tried to shy away from too much publicity. But we’ll have quiet meal today and we’re hoping to take him along to the Cardiff or the Sunderland game coming up soon.”

Offline eastie

« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2013, 11:20:10 AM »
Wow,  still able to drive at 100 - thats an achievement in itself - i do hope he can take the club up on the offer to be guest of honour soon - a great man and I hope he has a great day today.

Offline Dave Clark Five

• Location: In Doctor Who's Tardis trying to find Villa Park anytime between 1970 and 1972.
  • GM : June, 2013
« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2013, 11:51:28 AM »
Last time I saw Harry, he was in Solihull. A very dapper man. Happy birthday Harry. Have a great day.

Online Rudy Can't Fail

• http://www.heroespredictions.co.uk/pl/
« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2013, 01:45:32 PM »
Happy birthday, Harry.

Offline The Left Side

« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2013, 04:10:33 PM »
Did the Villa do anything for him?

Offline Andy_Lochhead_in_the_air

• Location: Upton Park....No, Olympic Stadium....No, Aston Park...Yes that's it,Turf Moor.
« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2013, 08:10:32 PM »
Did the Villa do anything for him?

The same as they do for the rest us. A lifetime of happiness, optimism, unfulfilled hopes, complete ecstasy and crushing disappointment.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal