collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Recent Posts

Re: Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by aj2k77
[Today at 10:01:26 AM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by LeeB
[Today at 10:00:03 AM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by olaftab
[Today at 09:57:10 AM]

Re: Douglas Luiz - Confirmed confirmed by chrisw1
[Today at 09:56:02 AM]

Re: Ezri Konsa - Aston Villa & England by john e
[Today at 09:55:13 AM]

Re: FFP by The Edge
[Today at 09:55:00 AM]

Re: Douglas Luiz - Confirmed confirmed by brontebilly
[Today at 09:53:18 AM]

Re: Youri Tielemans (confirmed) by brontebilly
[Today at 09:51:18 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Kozak or Bent?  (Read 14867 times)

Offline Chipsticks

• GM : 22.04.2015
Re: Kozak or Bent?
« Reply #15 on: October 21, 2013, 11:02:19 PM »
Bent's a luxury yadda yadda.

Offline ciggiesnbeer

• Location: Mass hysteria for Aston Villa. Some team from the mountains in Russia
  • GM : 23.01.2019
« Reply #16 on: October 21, 2013, 11:04:55 PM »
Ideally both. But we are not in the financial situation to have that kind of depth in bench.

Stats wise Kozak scores about 1 every 5 games or so. Bent scores about 1 in 3 games.

Kozak usually contributes more to open play with flick ons etc but Bent gets the nod defending set pieces (he is actually pretty good defending these, he has cleared off the line a lot).

Beneteke does both, scores 1 in 2 and contributes the most to open play but is a liability in defence.

Finally when i see Kozak play I see a player who I think will get better. Bent is an excellent striker but unlikely to get much better imho.

Offline Dave Clark Five

• Location: In Doctor Who's Tardis trying to find Villa Park anytime between 1970 and 1972.
  • GM : June, 2013
« Reply #17 on: October 21, 2013, 11:16:08 PM »
Bent's a luxury yadda yadda.

Bent needs service baa baa.

Offline supertom

« Reply #18 on: October 21, 2013, 11:27:39 PM »
You'd always fancy Bent to nick a goal. Kozak I'm not so sure.

For me Libor's biggest problem so far is that he's basically waiting for service (like Bent would) and not getting involved in the game. There's also the problem that the majority of the limited service he does get is high balls launched to his head and for a big fella he's complete toss in the air. I think you could count on one hand the amount of headers he's won in the last 2 games. Libor does work very hard with chasing down etc, but when we have the ball, suddenly his movement becomes non existent. Again, he's finding his feet, this will hopefully improve, but we've got to start playing to his feet and he's got to start making himself more available.

It's part of the problem with our side at the moment. We seem to play more long balls than most other sides. It was labelled at us by Mourinho of course, and stats back it up. Obviously have a very tough start contributes to that because playing the teams we've played, aside from 3 matches, we'd not expect much more than 40% possession (even less sometimes). So inevitably we started launching it.

But if it's a choice between Kozak doing fuck all for most of the match, barely getting sniff and never looking like scoring, or Bent doing fuck all for most of a match and possibly getting and taking that one chance he needs, then I'd go for Bent, regardless of wages. Bent would win us more points if he played (as things stand).

But its early days. Kozak really needs to up his game, but we've got to help him too. Right now he barely looks a 1 million pound player, let alone 7.

Offline Des Little

• GM : 03.05.2021
« Reply #19 on: October 21, 2013, 11:29:01 PM »
I just can't see it with Kozak. Hope I'm wrong but I think he's a dud - time will tell of course but he looks way, way short of Benteke's quality; I think the money could have been better spent elsewhere.

Offline danlanza

« Reply #20 on: October 21, 2013, 11:35:54 PM »
Kozak every time. He is a team player and he will do us proud. You cannot slag the bloke off ffs. He has only made the starting line-up since Benteke got injured and every game he has played in he has put in a proper shift, been climbed all over and fouled ridiculously. Give him a chance.
Darren Bent......Selfish player, playing for himself, not the team.

Offline supertom

« Reply #21 on: October 21, 2013, 11:37:23 PM »
Last 4 games stats.
Kozak aerial duels won:
Norwich 3/14
Man City 4/11
Hull 4/17
Spurs 3/9

Play it to his feet.

In comparison, Benteke tends to average over 50% of aerial duels won.

Offline danlanza

« Reply #22 on: October 22, 2013, 12:31:27 AM »
Last 4 games stats.
Kozak aerial duels won:
Norwich 3/14
Man City 4/11
Hull 4/17
Spurs 3/9

Play it to his feet.

In comparison, Benteke tends to average over 50% of aerial duels won.
And how many of those challenges should a foul have been given in Kozak's favour ? If you watch the replays of the games he has been involved in, i would say Kozak has been very harshly treated by the refs.

Online eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #23 on: October 22, 2013, 12:36:36 AM »
I do like Bent but BBC online put up a graphic after Fulham's hammering of Palace tonight. In a game where his side largely dominated, Dazza only touched the ball 13 times in 77 minutes.

He's the missing piece of the puzzle for a team that consistently dominate possession and waste countless chances. These teams invariably play strikers who bring a lot more to their game than ghosting into space (Bent's best attribute, and one with which very few other strikers compare) so it leaves Bent in an awkward position. He has become something of an anachronism. But I'm glad he played for us, and I think he's a decent professional and a personable guy so wish him the best in knocking-in an average of at least 11.37 goals a season until he retires.

Offline Isa

« Reply #24 on: October 22, 2013, 03:02:44 AM »
Neither. No point of keeping our highest earner as back-up and the Kozak money should've been spent on an AM.

Online Deano's Mullet

« Reply #25 on: October 22, 2013, 07:49:53 AM »
I agree with the play it to his feet comment - lets face it, how much service has he had in his 3-4 games so far?  I think he has the potential to do well - and will do well. But Lambert needs to vary the style up a little bit instead of kick and chase, and maybe give some of the other forwards a chance. I love Gabby to bits but he doesn't look like stepping up a gear at the moment and Weimann is still young and out of form at the mo. Hopefully we can see the best of Helenius too at some point because we have to have more of a threat than simply Benteke.

Online aj2k77

« Reply #26 on: October 22, 2013, 08:28:22 AM »
Bent, Kozak looks a carthorse.

Offline Phil from the upper holte

« Reply #27 on: October 22, 2013, 08:52:58 AM »
Why are we so quick to jump on players without giving them time to settle in a new league and a new way of playing? I remember some on here calling Benteke Emule Heskey Mark II

Offline Phil from the upper holte

« Reply #28 on: October 22, 2013, 08:55:37 AM »
No point in keeping Bent anyway, without width he'd be a passenger

Offline curiousorange

• Chris Stanley's Bazaar
« Reply #29 on: October 22, 2013, 08:59:34 AM »
Shoulda woulda coulda about Kozak. People may have wanted an attacking midfielder, but he's a striker, he'll be played and it's up to Lambert to find a way to use his skills effectively. The fact that it hasn't really happened yet doesn't mean it won't. I don't think he was fantastic against Tottenham but then again Benteke was competently marshalled by a defence that was mainly centre backs and is by and large very frugal. As someone mentioned earlier, Kozak should be measured when he's faced defences he should be dominating as well as better teams.

With Bent, it's tricky. I don't think we miss him, but I do think if Lambert wasn't manager he'd be starting for us.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal