collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Press-ed for space  (Read 5760 times)

Offline Somniloquism

• GM : 06.12.2024
Re: Press-ed for space
« Reply #15 on: October 16, 2013, 01:58:06 PM »
My attitude to England and Villa is similar to yours, Dave. Villa matters to me and I'll travel all over the country (and, when the occasion presents itself, Europe) to watch them. I did watch the England match last night, but was switching backwards and forwards to the Belgium game to see whether Benteke had come on. I didn't do this for Scotland and Hutton. I was mildly pleased when England got through but shan't go out of my way to watch them on tv in the summer. And, to follow a train of thought, I'll be very annoyed if the PL is suspended in winter 2021-2 to make room for the Qatar World Cup.

Whilst I'm annoyed at FIFA for falling into this mess for money, the actual Winter suspension I'm not bothered about. We will still see Villa play the required number of times that season. Other large footballing nations in the southern hemipshere have had their seasons disrupted for major international tournaments so why should we moan if it happens to us once in awhile. This also smacks of the moaning when players play in the African Nations every few years.

Offline freethinker

« Reply #16 on: October 16, 2013, 02:30:18 PM »
I'm not sure I agree with this bit:

The only major difference I can see between both sides is that Villa supporters thankfully lack the sense of entitlement that makes England followers expect to win every tournament, with the subsequent excessive criticism that follows inevitable failure.

I have met a lot of England fans over the years and almost all have very realistic expectations of what to expect from England. I think the hype comes primarily from the tabloid press, aided and abetted by Sky sports. The cycle of euphoria followed by doom and gloom which they generate may get picked up by casual followers of football who are only interested when the world cup comes round, but it isn't by the fans who actually attend England matches on a regular basis.

I agree with those who say there have been some pretty obnoxious players in the England team over recent years but I'm not going to let them put me off supporting my country, in the same way that I wouldn't let the likes of Stephen Ireland deter me from supporting Villa. Besides, for every John Terry or Rio Ferdinand there's been a Terry Butcher or Stuart Pearce.

Offline andyaston

« Reply #17 on: October 16, 2013, 02:30:33 PM »
I love Villa. But, I still love my country aswell, I enjoyed last night's game.

Offline Concrete John

• GM : Mar, 2014
« Reply #18 on: October 16, 2013, 02:46:49 PM »
Whilst I'm annoyed at FIFA for falling into this mess for money, the actual Winter suspension I'm not bothered about. We will still see Villa play the required number of times that season. Other large footballing nations in the southern hemipshere have had their seasons disrupted for major international tournaments so why should we moan if it happens to us once in awhile. This also smacks of the moaning when players play in the African Nations every few years.

It's a very good and valid point.

But it shouldn't take away from the fact that they voted it in on the basis of being a summer tournament and to now need to move it is either gross incompetence or plain corruption.

Offline jeowje

« Reply #19 on: October 16, 2013, 03:46:21 PM »
How on earth they chose Qatar (i think we all know).

Online dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #20 on: October 16, 2013, 03:49:14 PM »
I'm not sure I agree with this bit:

The only major difference I can see between both sides is that Villa supporters thankfully lack the sense of entitlement that makes England followers expect to win every tournament, with the subsequent excessive criticism that follows inevitable failure.

I have met a lot of England fans over the years and almost all have very realistic expectations of what to expect from England. I think the hype comes primarily from the tabloid press, aided and abetted by Sky sports. The cycle of euphoria followed by doom and gloom which they generate may get picked up by casual followers of football who are only interested when the world cup comes round, but it isn't by the fans who actually attend England matches on a regular basis.

I agree with those who say there have been some pretty obnoxious players in the England team over recent years but I'm not going to let them put me off supporting my country, in the same way that I wouldn't let the likes of Stephen Ireland deter me from supporting Villa. Besides, for every John Terry or Rio Ferdinand there's been a Terry Butcher or Stuart Pearce.

That's fair enough and I should have made more of a distinction between match-going supporters and the every other year face-painted idiots.

Online Pete3206

• GM : PCM
« Reply #21 on: October 16, 2013, 04:06:04 PM »
I thought last night was a great game and it certainly lifted the gloom for a few months at least.

Offline Legion

• Oh, it must be! And it is! Villa in the lead!
    • Personal Education Services
  • GM : 05.04.2019
« Reply #22 on: October 16, 2013, 07:29:23 PM »

Offline Legion

• Oh, it must be! And it is! Villa in the lead!
    • Personal Education Services
  • GM : 05.04.2019
« Reply #23 on: October 16, 2013, 07:30:08 PM »
How on earth they chose Qatar (i think we all know).

£$E

Offline barrysleftfoot

« Reply #24 on: October 16, 2013, 09:38:37 PM »

Never quite understand the misconceived idea that you can support a club side, or an international side, but not the two.

I enjoy England doing well, i enjoyed last night, and i hope we do well in Brazil, i don't expect much, maybe S/F at best, but i enjoy the shared enjoyment/euphoria/excitement of my national team doing well.

I think the article gets confused by the hysterical press that accompanies England's performances.Its them i dislike, and blame, for the over expectations, and pressure that unfortunately travels with our national team every time we take part in a tournament, its them i dislike, not supporting England.

I think you're missing the point about supporting England.Its a shared experience, shared emotions, shared heartbreak, one of the only uniting experience we share with the vast majority of our neighbours, and not so near neighbours, i think its good for the country when we do well, because it makes us feel better.

Online Bad English

• I am Perpignan Villa
  • GM : 29.03.2025
« Reply #25 on: October 16, 2013, 09:49:45 PM »
Sorry, I forgot to say that it was another good article Dave.

Offline freethinker

« Reply #26 on: October 16, 2013, 09:58:56 PM »
Great post barrysleftfoot. I don't feel the need to choose one or the other, or hypothesise about whether I'd prefer Villa or England to win a trophy. I'd love them both to. Either one would be just splendid.

Offline Clampy

• GM : PCM
« Reply #27 on: October 16, 2013, 10:22:52 PM »
I enjoyed last night's game. I'm pleased that we're in next summer's finals but I would'nt have been that overly upset had we not qualified. I think Dave touched on why I feel that way. It's a combination of some of our fans expecting us to win every game and the tabloids over the top antics when we dare draw against decent up and coming sides.

Offline Dave Clark Five

• Location: In Doctor Who's Tardis trying to find Villa Park anytime between 1970 and 1972.
  • GM : June, 2013
« Reply #28 on: October 16, 2013, 10:24:57 PM »

Offline Simon Ward

« Reply #29 on: October 17, 2013, 09:48:03 AM »
I don't mind watching England play if the opposition is half decent! Whereas I would watch Villa play against anyone!

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal