collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Press-ed for space  (Read 5750 times)

Online dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
Press-ed for space
« on: October 16, 2013, 03:12:46 AM »
Or, how to think up 500 words about nothing.

http://thebirminghampress.com/2013/10/one-lion-on-my-shirt/

Offline The Charmer

Re: Press-ed for space
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2013, 06:25:38 AM »
500 words well spent Dave.

I have similar feelings about the whole England circus and have for several years.
That screwed-up, pained expression on Gerrard's face when he, as England's spokesman, is asked the most basic of questions, I find unbelievably irritating.

Offline Dave Clark Five

• Location: In Doctor Who's Tardis trying to find Villa Park anytime between 1970 and 1972.
  • GM : June, 2013
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2013, 06:58:02 AM »
'Another good article Dave'.

People seem to look strangely when I tell them I'm not bothered to watch England, considering how much of our time is spent watching football.

One good point was letting loads of away fans it. It drowns the racket of the band and might eventually encourage England fans to move onto page 2 of the songbook.

Offline Damo70

« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2013, 09:29:42 AM »
I haven't read any papers yet. I'm guessing they will go for the 'good for the economy' line and remind us that we need to show our loyalty to the England team by buying wide screen TV's, barbeques and lots of lager. Personally I have a very nice TV and barbeque that are both only two years old. And I have been doing more than my fair share for lager sales for over twenty years. My lad is excited about the prospect of FIFA 14 Brazil coming out though. I don't want to prick his baloon by telling him he probably won't be able to buy Benteke for England.

Online PaulWinch again

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2013, 09:34:28 AM »
I enjoy England being at the World Cup or the Euros probably from a nostalgic point of view. Obviously I'd take Villa having success over England, but I still support England to a degree.

Offline darren woolley

• GM : 12.12.2024
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2013, 11:50:29 AM »
Another good article Dave.

Offline frank

• GM : 29.01.2025
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2013, 12:47:28 PM »
My attitude to England and Villa is similar to yours, Dave. Villa matters to me and I'll travel all over the country (and, when the occasion presents itself, Europe) to watch them. I did watch the England match last night, but was switching backwards and forwards to the Belgium game to see whether Benteke had come on. I didn't do this for Scotland and Hutton. I was mildly pleased when England got through but shan't go out of my way to watch them on tv in the summer. And, to follow a train of thought, I'll be very annoyed if the PL is suspended in winter 2021-2 to make room for the Qatar World Cup.

Offline Fred

« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2013, 01:18:52 PM »
I love the fact that the people in my office who don't talk football and think i am mad for going to watch the Villa in all weather's start becoming experts every two years.

Pleased we are there but if faced with a choice of Villa winning the FA Cup or England the World Cup i would go for the FA Cup win every time.

Offline Bad English

• I am Perpignan Villa
  • GM : 29.03.2025
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2013, 01:27:10 PM »
FA Cup? World Cup? Back on Earth, I'd rather see the Villa win three games in a row* than see England go out in the last 16.

(Hang on! I might be back on Mars there)

Offline eastie

« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2013, 01:30:18 PM »
My attitude to England and Villa is similar to yours, Dave. Villa matters to me and I'll travel all over the country (and, when the occasion presents itself, Europe) to watch them. I did watch the England match last night, but was switching backwards and forwards to the Belgium game to see whether Benteke had come on. I didn't do this for Scotland and Hutton. I was mildly pleased when England got through but shan't go out of my way to watch them on tv in the summer. And, to follow a train of thought, I'll be very annoyed if the PL is suspended in winter 2021-2 to make room for the Qatar World Cup.

Similar feelings here , when England scored I barely blinked , when villa score I'm jumping around like a madman - I'd like to see England do well but not that bothered about the international game to be honest .

Offline PeterWithe

• GM : 12.02.2025
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2013, 01:38:49 PM »
Is Steve Beauchampe the fella who used to have something to do with the local FSA and that lot's fanzine?

Online dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2013, 01:39:45 PM »
Is Steve Beauchampe the fella who used to have something to do with the local FSA and that lot's fanzine?

Yup.

Offline Concrete John

• GM : Mar, 2014
« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2013, 01:40:32 PM »
The England game last night was actually a pretty decent watch.

Problem now is they've won two games, against one average team and one poor one, but will still be built up to get knocked down when they meet someone decent next summer and go out.  Despite the repulsiveness of some of the players, I could stomach wacthing them more if it wasn't for that 'everything is shit' or 'everything is wonderful' circus that follows them around.

Offline PeterWithe

• GM : 12.02.2025
« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2013, 01:41:51 PM »
Fans of lower league clubs always seem to be more up for the England team, it stands to reason he'd know more England fans I suppose.

Offline damon loves JT

• GM : 31.08.2016
« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2013, 01:45:27 PM »
Another good article Dave

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal