collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: E-mail from Paul Lambert.  (Read 9585 times)

Offline E I Adio

• GM : 09.10.2020
Re: E-mail from Paul Lambert.
« Reply #45 on: October 10, 2013, 04:21:02 PM »
I don't think Dave means literally in charge of those matters, but everything he does affects those departments massively one way or the other.

Agreed, but the Marketing Dept should be telling the rest of the company how it needs to operate to meet the demands of the market that it operates in, not the 'product dept' giving the company a product and then saying "Sell it!"

Not anywhere I've worked it doesn't.

Lots of businesses are based around product first, and then the marketing department is brought in to sell it (although that's a very simplistic term).

You're right, lots of businesses - particularly in the UK, and particularly SME's with MDs who believe that marketing is some kind of American term for selling - do operate in that way, using the marketing department to find some way of selling something that the market may not even want.

The really successful companies however, understand the importance of getting it the right way around, so that products can be designed to satisfy latent or real demand in the marketplace.

Offline Archbishop Herbert Cockthrottle

• GM : 06.07.2024
« Reply #46 on: October 10, 2013, 04:28:23 PM »
What I don't understand is why he had to leave Nigeria in such a hurry. 
And why does he need my bank details? 

And how does he know that I suffer from erectile disfuntion?

He's seen you play. He thought you were Pele.

With our squad he knows there's stiff competition for places.

Offline MarkM

« Reply #47 on: October 10, 2013, 04:38:23 PM »
I don't think Dave means literally in charge of those matters, but everything he does affects those departments massively one way or the other.

Agreed, but the Marketing Dept should be telling the rest of the company how it needs to operate to meet the demands of the market that it operates in, not the 'product dept' giving the company a product and then saying "Sell it!"

Lots of businesses are based around product first, and then the marketing department is brought in to sell it (although that's a very simplistic term).

You're right, lots of businesses - particularly in the UK, and particularly SME's with MDs who believe that marketing is some kind of American term for selling - do operate in that way, using the marketing department to find some way of selling something that the market may not even want.

The really successful companies however, understand the importance of getting it the right way around, so that products can be designed to satisfy latent or real demand in the marketplace.

Correct.

Many companies really get it wrong, and are product led.

A Production led comapny says "I can make X loads of this widget, please go and sell it" Even though there may be no demand

A Marketing led company asks "What does the market want?" and then feeds that back through the company and produces the plan to meet that need

There is very little point in making a product that nobody wants or needs.

Strategic marketing is very different from what many perceive marketing to be [its all about pretty pictures isn't it?"] I have heard that lots of times in my line of work

Offline LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #48 on: October 10, 2013, 05:03:24 PM »
Whilst it's very nice to be reading about marketing strategies, I feel in the interests of balance it's important to point out that marketing is the work of the devil himself, and those employed in it (deservedly) will spend an eternity in hell.

Offline Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #49 on: October 10, 2013, 05:13:41 PM »
Whilst it's very nice to be reading about marketing strategies, I feel in the interests of balance it's important to point out that marketing is the work of the devil himself, and those employed in it (deservedly) will spend an eternity in hell.

well I'm royally fucked then

Offline paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #50 on: October 10, 2013, 05:33:28 PM »

Correct.

Many companies really get it wrong, and are product led.

A Production led comapny says "I can make X loads of this widget, please go and sell it" Even though there may be no demand

A Marketing led company asks "What does the market want?" and then feeds that back through the company and produces the plan to meet that need

There is very little point in making a product that nobody wants or needs.

Strategic marketing is very different from what many perceive marketing to be [its all about pretty pictures isn't it?"] I have heard that lots of times in my line of work

All well and good, except that the 2nd most profitable company in the world currently has built their entire strategy around being product led and creating things that people "don't even know that they need until they have them" (Apple by the way).

There are other models to do business and to state that companies who are product led 'get it wrong' is getting it wrong.  You might work in the industry and might well have your way to work that is successful, but to state with such conviction that you're right and anything else is wrong is very arrogant.

Offline Toronto Villa

« Reply #51 on: October 10, 2013, 06:23:49 PM »
Not sure about that. Apple are very marketing focused in understanding where the market is heading and being astute enough to get there first through intensive study. They then come out with a product that is ahead of the curve. I wouldn't say they are product led. I understand why it might appear that way.

Offline olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
« Reply #52 on: October 10, 2013, 06:59:28 PM »
He sent one to all aftabs wives too.
Not just an email a genuine Mulberry handbag as well and reminded them how lucky they all were to have me!

Offline E I Adio

• GM : 09.10.2020
« Reply #53 on: October 10, 2013, 07:00:12 PM »
Toronto's right. Apple is a classic case of a successful proactive marketing led company. It may seem arrogant to suggest that this is how to be successful, but it is just basic marketing stuff.

As I said earlier, I've encountered quite a few MD's who have had a Eureka moment in the bath tub and lived to regret the money they threw at a great product that no one wanted.

Offline LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #54 on: October 10, 2013, 08:07:01 PM »

You'll be alright pal, God's clearly a Villa fan.

Why else would Birmingham City exist?

Offline Toronto Villa

« Reply #55 on: October 10, 2013, 08:24:09 PM »

You'll be alright pal, God's clearly a Villa fan.

Why else would Birmingham City exist?

and just imagine where those employed in marketing for that lot are headed. If there is a place worse than hell then no doubt that's where they'll be going on the day of judgement.

As for me, I'm likely beyond salvation but I hope that Lord McGrath is at the gates when I knock.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal