collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Archie Hunter  (Read 4709 times)

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
Archie Hunter
« on: October 08, 2013, 01:35:21 PM »
Republished Villa News & Record profiles from the early 1900s about the great men who shaped our club. Written by pioneering programme editor Jack Urry, Archie Hunter is the fourth in focus.

It is many years since I have written that name, and I am "soft" enough to confess that the thrill it once game me lingers still.

More to him than to any other individual player in the long roll of brilliant lads who have played under its banner does Aston Villa owe its position in the football world through all the changing years.

Most of us who saw Archie Hunter in all the pride and glory of his young manhood - saw him many a time carry the Villa to victory by sheer individual effort and skill - are in the "sere and yellow" (some, indeed, have lost most of their leaves), but as long as we shall remember anything in the sporting line, our memories will go back to the romantic days when the Villa was forging ahead in popular favour, and thereby bringing along the game of football to a position which led to its pre-war and post-war obsession by the multitude.

Mr Campbell Orr, in the Midland Athlete, once happily dubbed Archie Hunter as "the prince of centre-forwards"; but he was more than that - he was the absolute king of all football captains, and one of the greatest leaders of sportsmen I have ever known.

He wasn't half a "boss" on the field either; and his boys would go anywhere or do anything for him. Ask any of the few remaining who played under him, and they will tell you that he was the greatest and most commanding skipper of all the past or present teams. A.H.Albut (an old Villa committee man) once said that if Archie never kicked a ball on the field his captaincy was worth two men at any time.

There are heroes today in Aston Villa (or will be shortly) and other teams; there are more big players in Association football than ever there were; but I do not think we shall ever see quite such a hero or so big a player as Archie Hunter; the men who played with him almost worshiped him; the public acclaimed him every time he did anything worth looking at - and that was generally in every game that he played.

It is rather a hackneyed expression to say that a man is a host in himself. Archie Hunter went a little beyond that - he had the knack of making the little host of his comrades such an "altogether" lot that they would follow him as surely as you sometimes see congregations of starlings wheel and swerve and swing at the command of their "pivot" far up in the blue. And in those days - perhaps distance lends enchantment to the view - it was a radiant thing to see the Villa swoop down in crescent-like fashion on the opposing goal, and it always meant danger for their opponents.

As I write, pictures of many such scenes come thronging in at the gate of remembrance, and I can see the old familiar faces, and almost hear the old voices again. What days they were, and what fun we used to get out of life!

Archie Hunter came to Birmingham in 1878 from the "auld toon of Ayr," being born at Joppa hard by. He learnt his football in good company and started as a back. He did not arrive here because of his football craft - he came as a matter of business, and like so many other Scots, he stayed. (You will remember what cynical old Samuel Johnson said about his countrymen).

This was long before professionalism was known in football. He nearly joined the Calthorpe Club (then the most powerful as well as the most aristocratic Association organisation in the Midlands), but "a brither Scot" in the person of GB Ramsay induced him into the Villa ranks.

He became captain next year, and remained (with a short interregnum in 1881) as skipper till his retirement from the game n 1890. His game as a player soon spread, and then two important consequences of that - first, many of the finest players in the district were attracted to the club; and, secondly, the "gates" began to grow by leaps and bounds, so that people who had scoffed at the game, and called the players "leather-headed lunatics" and other opprobrious names , came down to Perr Barr to watch the men they had so sobriqueted, with the result that the great majority remained the keenest of Villa followers.

The crowd is a more cosmopolitan one today, but at the beginning of its career the Villa owed much of its regular support to what used to be known as "the jewellery quarter," and very staunch and loyal they were when rivals appeared.

What made Archie Hunter so powerful among his comrades was this - he possessed a genial masterfulness and a perfect knowledge of the game; he not only knew what should be done, but could show his men how to do it; he had the happy knack of instantly detecting the weak places of an opposing side, and then directing his own folk in that direction.

As a centre-forward, when at his best, I have never yet seen his equal. There may have been cleverer dribblers and more adroit dodgers; but as a commander who always led the van, he was a great tower of strength in himself, and a source of exceeding confidence in his comrades.

To see him break through when the ball came winging in from left or right and storm the opposing citadel with his front rank all round him was an inspiring vision, and he had a lion-like look that was impressive and good to see. He was a chary of praise when on the field, so that any of his rare compliments to players were radiantly received.

Stalwart and lissom, standing some 5ft 10in in his stockings, clean built and sinewy all over, with an eye like an eagle, and the joy of battle shining on his freckled and bonnie face, Archie was the pride of his side, and the prop and mainstay of the Villa for more than a decade; and in the very height of his powers his side won the English Cup for the first time.

I have seen many finals since 1887, but none quite as splendid as that; and I shall not forget the glow and fervour of Hunter's countenance as he received the trophy, with compliments, from Major Marindin - an historic name in the game.

I am tempted to quote "We shall not look upon his like again," for Hunter was not only a leatherchaser of "credit and renown" - the top of his class, and one of the few who will be remembered as long as the game shall last; he was a fine fellow in his friendships and a companion to be proud of.

He was jovial and hearty, and one who ever had a good word and bonnie greeting for the friends whom he was so often pitted against. His comrades loved him, and he was never spoilt by flattery; he would lecture a fellow player on the field, and be a pal to him off it.

He was a keen judge of the points of a player, and never talked about himself. As a personality in the football world - as least, the Midland portion of it - there has never been anybody quite like him; and though he would not stand any of his men being unfairly dealt with on the field, and would warn and perhaps punish assaulters on the other side, for all his strength and skill and determination, Archie Hunter played the game like the gentleman he was, and did splendidly consistent service for the Villa all the time he played for them.

He is one of the landmarks in the club's history; and, without detracting in the least from the merits of any one of the scores who have followed him these thirty years, it may surely be claimed for him that by his prowess, loyalty, and captaincy he did more for Aston Villa than any individual player.

The grass has been growing green over his grave for many a year; but his memory is a fragrant one, and we who knew him in the heyday and joy of his manhood have an abiding regard for the stalwart Scot and kindly comrade who did so much to build up the game and fortune of the club he loved so well.

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
Re: Archie Hunter
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2013, 01:43:10 PM »
Legend. Still the most important player in our glorious history, in my opinion.

Offline Meanwood Villa

• GM : PCM
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2013, 01:46:02 PM »
Goes to show nostalgia is nothing new. Wonderful piece though. When was it written? The comment about post war suggests after 1918.

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2013, 01:48:26 PM »
Some more info here... I didn't realise before that we'd beaten Small Heath 22-0!

http://www.spartacus.schoolnet.co.uk/mobile/ASTONhunterA.htm

Online dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2013, 03:05:01 PM »
Some more info here... I didn't realise before that we'd beaten Small Heath 22-0!

http://www.spartacus.schoolnet.co.uk/mobile/ASTONhunterA.htm

According to the book it was Small Heath Swifts, 21-0. Different club.

Offline Dr Butler

• GM : 10.08.2022
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2013, 03:12:07 PM »
that is a great read too....

Offline darren woolley

• GM : 12.12.2024
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2013, 03:53:59 PM »
I enjoyed reading that thanks Peter.

Online Weedy

« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2013, 06:00:36 PM »
Great read.

"...A forward to be worth anything must be a complete master of the dribbling game, must have good judgement and be sufficiently strong to resist the charges and bumps of his opponents."

"...But the best players set their faces very sternly against roughness of all kinds, and some of the finest footballers I know are the most generous and good-natured of men on the field. I don't think much advantage is ever gained by bad temper or spiteful play. If one man is rough, another recriminates; and if one side shows bad blood, the other side is sure to have its bad blood stirred up also. You can play to win and play with perfect fairness; that is my experience."

"...Every other night saw us in hard training, and we learnt the art of working well together. In my opinion that is the secret of success. Good combination on the part of the players is greatly to be preferred to the muscular powers of one or two of them. Strength has got very little chance against science."

Still relevant too.

Offline Legion

• Oh, it must be! And it is! Villa in the lead!
    • Personal Education Services
  • GM : 05.04.2019
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2013, 07:19:57 PM »
Triumphs of the Football Field is heavy going, though.

Offline Ron Manager

• GM : 03.04.2016
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2013, 08:18:04 PM »
Unless Im mistaken the great Villa captain rests close to the ground, in Witton Cemetary.

Just checked to confirm he does. Most impressive headstone as well.The Victorians certainly knew how to give their departed a long lasting monument to their achievements
« Last Edit: October 08, 2013, 08:52:57 PM by Ron Manager »

Online The Left Side

« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2013, 09:01:19 PM »
We named our son Archie, a great Villa name!

Offline frankmosswasmyuncle

• GM : 05.09.2024
« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2013, 09:27:36 PM »
That stuff on the Spartacus site is brilliant.
Thanks cd!

Offline Louzie0

• UTV: I’m retired, hurrah!
  • GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2013, 09:36:38 PM »
I really enjoyed reading that. Thanks, PWS.

Offline algy

• GM : 23.03.2025
« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2020, 08:55:36 AM »
https://playupliverpool.com/1890/11/01/triumphs-of-the-football-field-aston-villa-archie-hunter/

TRIUMPHS OF THE FOOTBALL FIELD
Narrated by Archie Hunter (the famous Aston Villa captain).
Chapter IV – “The rise of the Aston Villa”.

“As I was saying when you interrupted me so sharply,” said Archie Hunter, as he settled himself down for a chat, “I came to Birmingham on August 8th 1878. It was the first time I had crossed the border, and I wasn’t in the best of spirits. Remember, I was still under 20. The journey down was a long and dull one, and when I got out of the station I saw none but strange people. I hadn’t a single friend to meet me, and I knew no one belonging to the firm by whom I had been engaged.

It was Saturday, and, of course, the town was busy and bustling, and every man had got enough to do without taking any notice of a lonely Scot. I walked out of the railway station, not knowing where to go, or where any of the streets led to. But I wandered on, past the Parish Church, and though Digbeth, until at last I came to a park – Adderley Park I afterwards found was its name. There was a cricket match being played there, so I walked in and watched it all the afternoon, and so my first day in Birmingham passed away. Of course, things brightened up afterwards, and I soon made many friends, and got to like the town. But I must say that my first impression of Birmingham was not a very good one.

“While I was in Scotland I had become acquainted with the Calthorpe Football Club, which used to come up and play the second team of the Queen’s Park. There were some very fair players in the Calthorpe, and I made up my mind on arriving in Birmingham to join them. But one of my fellow-worksmen, George Uzzell, mentioned Aston Villa to me as a club that had come rapidly to the fore, and asked me to become a member of it. I hesitated for some time, but at last my friend told me that a ‘brighter Scot,’ Mr. George Ramsay, was the Villa captain, and that decided me. Mr. Ramsay was a Glasgow man, and had exerted himself very considerably to bring the Villa team into the front rank. He was himself a good right-wing forward, and was well supported by W.B. Mason. So to Mr. Ramsay I went, and we at once became good friend, and remain so to this day.

“Mr. Ramsay was practically the founder of the Aston Villa Club. He had had good tuition in the game while in Scotland, and as a member of the ‘Oxford’ Club he had gained plenty of experience, and taken part in several first-class matches. A short time before he left, his club had tied three times with the Glasgow Rangers for the Scotch Cup. He was keeping goal, and he relates that on the last occasion he saved his goal at the expense of a broken nose.

Mr. Ramsay was a capital all-round player, and could take any position and give a good account of himself. Coming to Birmingham he found football here in a very backward state. The three principal clubs were St. Mary’s, Aston Unity, Calthorpe, and the Birmingham. One day Mr. Ramsay saw a few lads playing together in the big public park facing Park-road, Aston, and he watched them with some amount of curiosity and amusement. They were connected with the Villa Cross Wesleyan Chapel, and only had the most primitive ideas of the game. Mr. Ramsay describes their play as ‘a dash at the man and a big kick at the ball;’ they were entirely ignorant of dribbling, and were evidently in the most rudimentary stage of knowledge – quite ‘juvenile,’ as Mr Ramsay said. Well, when he had watched the lads some time he spoke to a bystander, and suggested that they two should join in the game. Then he called to one of the players, William Weiss by name, and proposed that he should be allowed to play on one side and his chance acquaintance on the other.

When his broad Scotch had after much trouble been understood, the proposal was agreed to, and Mr. Ramsay began to play. He soon showed that science was superior to all their big kicks, and easily dribbled the ball past he men who had never seen a display of the kind before. They were amazed when they saw how he played, and when all was over they surrounded the player, who had footed the ball so neatly, and asked him a hundred questions. So pleased were they with the newcomer’s performance that they besought him to play for them in their next match, which was arranged for the following week. This was against Stafford Road, which had beaten the young Villans in a previous contest by seven goals to none; and the latter were anxious to have their revenge. Mr. Ramsay set himself the task of teaching his comrades, how to play the scientific game, a labour of some difficulty; but he was so far successful that when the match came off the Stafford Road had to struggle hard for the victory, and only scored a single goal.”

“Mr. Ramsay – or ‘Scotty’ as he was called – had so far distinguished himself that he began to receive invitations from all the clubs in the district to play for them. But he had taken a strong liking for his first friends, and had an idea that he could make something of them. They elected him their captain, and he set to work to teach them dribbling. His material consisted of such men as W.B. Mason (now Birmingham representative to the National Association), Such, Lees, Hughes, Smith, Price, Weiss, Scattergood, Midgley, and others – very few of whom still don the jersey.

Later on they were joined by the Lindsays (two Scotchmen), Stevens, Law, O’Connor, Johnstone, Apperley, and Pank, who with perseverance and careful study of the most scientific game, had formed themselves into a very decent little team, and begun to make a name for themselves. They began to want a field of their own to play in; a meeting was held, and it was decided to look out for suitable ground. Although it was by no means in a perfect condition, the ground at Perry Barr was taken, and Mr. Ramsay gives an amusing account of how, after an hour’s hot debating, he offered £5 for the use of the field for that season; how £10 was demanded and another long discussion took place, and was ultimately ended by the two sides agreeing to split the difference. The first gate resulted in the sum of 5s. 3d – (five shillings and threepence) – being added to the fund of the club. But still the club went on and made for itself a name.

Sometimes a gate of nearly £10 was obtained, but this was exceptional. In the meantime expenses were increasing. The ground was taken on a three years’ lease, rising from £7 10s to £15, and then to £20. This lease had scarcely run out when the ground was threatened to be taken for building purposes. A meeting of the club was called and, a statement of affairs drawn up, when it was found the finances were rapidly increasing, and it was resolved to make a dreadful plunge and go straight to headquarters, which was done, with the result that the ground was taken on a seven years’ lease at £100 per annum.

In the meantime,” continued Archie, “I had come down, and had joined the club under the circumstances I told you.”

“The first match in which I played for the Villa –and the first I ever played in England – was rather remarkable. It was called a ‘friendly’ match, but that term must only be considered in the professional sense. It was the most unfriendly affair in which I ever took part. Our opponents were the Burton Robin Hoods, and we Villa men journeyed to Burton to meet them. It was quite evident to us from the beginning that nobody in Burton wanted us to win that match, and that they were determined to do their best to prevent our succeeding. We didn’t have a very good reception, and whenever we played up well there was a bowl of disapprobation from the spectators. We went on all the same, and were not going to be intimidated; and, as a matter of fact, we soon showed that we were superior to our rivals. When we scored our first goal the blood of the Robin Hoods began to get up. They played a rough game, but we put it down to excitement and went on. I can’t say it was altogether enjoyable, because it is one thing to have a hard fight and another thing to fight like savages.

Well, presently we scored a second goal, and that stirred up the rage of the Robin Hoods more than ever, and the wrath of the spectators was as a consuming fire. What do you think the people did? They got between the goal posts – some hundreds of them – forming a solid background, and presently when a goal shot was made the ball rebounded back into play, and the Robin Hoods claimed that no goal had been scored. That was all very well for them, but we disagreed. It was ‘Evergreen’ Sammy Law, the centre forward, who had made the winning kick, and we rallied round him; but the umpire would not allow the goal, so as a protest, we left the field. I was not sorry to get away, for during the course of the game one of the Burton players had so far lost control of himself that he made sudden dashes in my directions, and chased me all over the field. He had his sleeves turned up, and every time he came near me he doubled up his fists in a very ominous manner. I thought he meant business, but fortunately I was able to avoid him, and escaped with my life.”

“What had you done to incur his anger?”
“Well, I suppose I hadn’t let him take the ball from me, you see, and had been making rings round him. He was evidently a disappointed man, and wanted to show me the evil consequences of playing as well as I could for my own side. But I wasn’t disposed to take a lesson. Yes, it was a very queer match altogether, especially for a ‘friendly’ one. But it was the only one of the sort I played. Being my first match in England of course it gave me a rather bad impression of how things went on over here, but subsequently events caused me to alter my opinion.

“The Villa now entered upon a very important era. Our season was a brilliant one, and we were only beaten twice – first, by the second team of the Queen’s Park, which was then captained by David Anderson, by three goals to two, which match had been arranged through the personal influence of Mr. Ramsay, who knew Glasgow men well, and who was then upon a holiday. He tried to get their first team down, but Captain Charles Campbell told him they had better to take the second team first, and if we could beat them he would arrange for their first team to visit us the following year. Our second defeat was by the Aston Unity, in the first round of the Birmingham Cup, by one goal to nothing. We considered the Aston Unity our big opponents at that time. The team was captained by Butler, who played a splendid game as full back; but, unhappily, he was overtaken by a terrific infliction, resulting in the total loss of his eyesight, and it is said that he will never recover from his blindness.

Before him Hundy was captain, and the club remained very strong, and, as I have said, they beat in the first cup tie. I ought to tell you something more about the ground at Perry Barr which we played on in those days. It was covered pretty thickly with trees, and the players had to run ‘round about, and in and out’ of them in order to get at the ball. It was amusing, but it didn’t always conduce to scientific play. When we first played there were two trees on each side of the ground which served as goal posts, and there were trees on the touch-line. As the Villa Club rose funds were obtained to clear the ground, and once it was thought of making it into a running track. The trees were cut down and the roots blown up by dynamite, and what was left of them after that soon disappeared. I suppose the timer came in very useful as firewood for the people in the locality. We played about six matches in connection with the Cup-tie, and won very easily. For example, in the match against the Small Heath Swifts we won by 22 goals to none; and some humourist fetched our goalkeeper, Copley, a chair to sit upon, as he had nothing at all to do, and was getting tired of standing and never having a chance of a kick.

But the Aston Unity were too strong for us. I may mention one incident in our match with them which shows how players are sometimes carried away by excitement. While I shot for goal the ball skimmed the bar, and the Unity goalkeeper immediately caught me round the neck, held me fast, and seemed about to deliver a tremendous blow at my face. Everybody saw it; but my rival recovered himself in time, and afterwards offered me the fullest explanation of his action. I am quite convinced that he had no deliberate intention of doing me any personal injury; he simply lost his self-control for a moment, and was unable to restrain himself. In football there are many temptations of this sort, and it require a great amount of good heartedness and coolness to restrain from taking advantage of the proximity of an opponent. But the best players see their faces very sternly against roughness of all kinds, and some of the finest footballers I know are the most generous and good-natured of men on the field. I don’t think much advantage is ever gained by bad temper or spiteful play. If one man is rough, another recriminates; and if one side shows bad blood, the other side is sure to have its bad blood stirred up also. You can play to win, and play with perfect fairness; that is my experience.

“In 1880 we won our first cup – viz., the Birmingham Challenge Cup, Mr. Ramsay kicking the only goal (after a terribly hard struggle) three minutes before the finish, and wasn’t there a scene? Hats, sticks, and umbrellas were flying about in all directions, almost darkening the air.

“The next season I was elected captain, Mr. Ramsay nominating me to fill his position. He resigned on account of business engagements, which prevented him devoting the necessary time to football. He was then presented with a handsome gold Albert chain in appreciation of his past invaluable services. He had been playing football for 13 years, and during that time he had played in every position in the field. He was good at football races also, and won a special prize in a quarter mile race in connection with the Birmingham Club.

He played against Wales in 1878, when he captained the Birmingham team, and in nearly all the Association matches between 1877 and 1879. His interest in the club has always been maintained, and his record is remarkable. He may justly claim to have been the founder of the Aston Villa, and to have taught the game to its first members. At one time he was chairman of the committee, the Villa representative on the Association, the leader in many deputations, and for the last four years the club’s secretary. We owe a great deal to Mr. Ramsay as a club and as individuals, and his name is indissolubly connected with the history of the club.

I was playing centre forward at this time, and only on two occasions took up my old position as back – once against Stafford Road and once against Stoke. My play on each of these occasions gave great satisfaction. In the match against Stafford Road we won by one goal to nought, and the match against Stoke resulted in a draw. One of the football writers said: – ‘It was only Archie Hunter’s splendid defence and indomitable energy which saved the team from defeat.’

We now began to be more talked about than ever, and very great things were expected and prophesied of the Villa. The club had grown greatly in strength, and had naturally become ambitious.

My brother Andy, who had been playing with the Third Lanark Volunteers, came down from Scotland, and Eli Davies, Teddy Lee, Tom Pank, Sammy Law, Howard Vaughton, Arthur Brown, and W. Crossland were the other members of the team. We had a most exciting year, and gained a remarkable record, winning 19 matches, and losing only one.

We had every reason to be proud of our successes, for we finished by carrying off the Birmingham Cup, defeating Saltley College in the final; and we were within an ace of winning the Staffordshire Cup also, but were beaten right at the finish.

All the team were playing well together at this time, and worked hard, and the next season we determined, if possible, to beat even the splendid record we had just made. Next week I will you what we did.”
« Last Edit: December 30, 2020, 08:59:24 AM by algy »

Online Drummond

• GM : 10.10.2024
« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2020, 11:08:59 AM »
Fabulous!

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal