collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Bringing Her to the Villa Game  (Read 15766 times)

Offline paulcomben

• GM : Oct, 2013
Re: Bringing Her to the Villa Game
« Reply #30 on: October 06, 2013, 11:29:24 PM »
"Being as I've now with my girlfriend for over 8 months, I finally decided (after a bit of nagging) to bring her to a Villa game."

As they jumped right in, to show off their outmoded non-PC sexism, added to their shameful inability to identify and woo the right woman, each responder so far has missed the key question: What is the missing word between 'I've' and 'now'...? My bet is split between 'fisted' and 'rimmed'.

Offline Lastfootstamper

• GM : PCM
« Reply #31 on: October 06, 2013, 11:30:45 PM »
My missus hates football. Thank God. The thought of her wanting to come along to a game and spoil the only real bit of lads time I get sends me all a shiver. She also thinks I go to the Villa to enjoy myself. Ha, if only she knew.

Mine's parting words as I used to leave the house were "have fun". After repeatedly explaining that I'd not "had fun" for many a long year, it's now "hope it goes well".
She's been to 3 games in the three and a half years we've been together, and has yet to see us lose. If someone's prepared to babysit, I'll get her a season ticket! My Emergency Football Mate is also a woman, and we've not lost a game when it's just been me and her, either. So I'd wholeheartedly recommend taking her as long as she's lucky.

Offline purpletrousers

• GM : 25.04.2024
« Reply #32 on: October 06, 2013, 11:34:08 PM »
Amusing thread, I'm trying to work out how often I've done this since I took my ex-wife to a couple of games (never that interested, though bless her was pretty excited at the MON press conference on SSN -remember that day, that hope?!).

Since then, there have been a few and it's always gone really well, even the least inspiring result...
My last gf (now back in Taiwaan), got taken to spurs home last boxing day :/
travelling by coach to meet her from v early start after my family Xmas in Devon was always ambitious, so only made it end of first half (miraculously 0-0) to then see us ship 4 

if needing encouragement  (and having had one two gf from overseas) I've emphasise that it's part of our/my culture, and a good atmosphere should be sampled at least once,   treat it as an anthropological expedition much as you would to sample a culture visitung a tribe in another land...

Even not knowing the rules an exciting game/atmosphere can win em over :)

I think it's good to reassure re: safety) and brief what they are likely to see/hear shouted around them. Even mentioning chants (often indecipherable if you don't know what you are looking for, and presumably that can leave someone feeling cut off/excluded )

I love away games for the concentrated support/atmosphere and these seem to work really well (which helps given i live London)
« Last Edit: October 06, 2013, 11:37:26 PM by purpletrousers »

Offline Dave Cooper please

• GM : 20.04.2019
« Reply #33 on: October 06, 2013, 11:38:07 PM »
Dump her. Do what I did, marry a girl with no real interest in football but who enjoys shopping and pubs, that way you get to go to the game, she shops, and you meet afterwards in The Bartons. Win / win really.

Offline supertom

« Reply #34 on: October 07, 2013, 12:08:33 AM »
It took me bloody ages to explain the offside rule to my mrs. It was akin to Father Ted when hes trying to teach Father Jack how to say "that would be an ecumenical matter." Hard work. Within a week she'd forgotten it. Not a shred of interest in football so I'm not sure I'll ever take her to the Villa unless she expresses a genuine interest.

Offline OCD

• http://www.rightconsultant.com
  • GM : May, 2012
« Reply #35 on: October 07, 2013, 12:22:38 AM »
It took me bloody ages to explain the offside rule to my mrs. It was akin to Father Ted when hes trying to teach Father Jack how to say "that would be an ecumenical matter." Hard work. Within a week she'd forgotten it. Not a shred of interest in football so I'm not sure I'll ever take her to the Villa unless she expresses a genuine interest.

I would have thought the episode where Mrs Doyle learns the rules of football would have been a more appropriate analogy!

Offline Stu

• GM : 09.04.2021
« Reply #36 on: October 07, 2013, 12:26:59 AM »

I would have thought the episode where Mrs Doyle learns the rules of football would have been a more appropriate analogy!

I was thinking of the one on holiday in the caravan with Ted trying to explain the rules of depth perception to Dougal:

"This cow is small, but those are far away. Small - far away"

Offline supertom

« Reply #37 on: October 07, 2013, 12:32:10 AM »

I did think of that, but Mrs Doyle got it in the end. Ha ha.

Offline Chipsticks

• GM : 22.04.2015
« Reply #38 on: October 07, 2013, 12:34:26 AM »
My son reached the final of the Birmingham Schools FA and the final was played at Villa Park. Not having been to a live game but having watched it on TV, she is sitting in the stand and asks when is the commentator going to start the commentry?

She actually thought what we hear on tv, the crowd heard !!!!!!!!!!!!

Beware..........

Haha, she's not that bad, but you've all made me feel very lucky.

Once I turned up at her house and she was legit watching the FA Cup 5th round, it was two pretty average championship teams and she seemed genuinely interested, that blew me away.

Marry her. ASAP. Never let her go. And don't kick her out of bed for eating a packet of Chipsticks.

She can eat Chipsticks whenever she likes ;)

I'm a creeper.

Online eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #39 on: October 07, 2013, 02:01:50 AM »
Took mine to the second Rapid Vienna Europa League qualifier a few years back. It resulted in possibly our worst argument to date by the time we got home.

I won't go into detail other than to say don't do it!

The only rational reaction to seeing Curtis Davies boot the ball over his own crossbar from near the halfway-line is to take it out on your relationship. At least that should prepare you for more difficult challenges.

Offline Damo70

« Reply #40 on: October 07, 2013, 07:54:41 AM »
I was with fiance number one for two and a half years and took her to the Inter game at VP and a pre season friendly at Whitney Town. So in her two game Villa career she saw us beat Inter and saw Ivo Stas score. Fiance number two turned out to be a fruitcake. I took her to the John Frain testimonial at the sty in '96 and at one point she disappeared to help break up some seating. I took the wife to the Fulham cup game in '99 and she said she heard me swear more in one day than in all the time she had known me. When the kids came along we had a few family trips to the Villa but these days it is just me and my son.

Offline robbo1874

« Reply #41 on: October 07, 2013, 09:32:33 AM »
My ex-mrs is Aussie and when she moved to London in 2003, she had only been in the country a week before I took her to a fun packed afternoon at upton park. She commented that it was the first time she had seen mounted police...

Offline TheMalandro

• GM : 06.03.2016
« Reply #42 on: October 07, 2013, 09:37:39 AM »
My first big relationship lasted three years.
She only ever came to two games with me, one of them was on 26th May 1982. Witnessing us becoming undisputed Champions of Europe should have cemented our relationship for eternity but she left me two years later, I blame Ellis.

She probably realised it couldn't get any better

Offline TheMalandro

• GM : 06.03.2016
« Reply #43 on: October 07, 2013, 09:41:49 AM »
my mrs has no interest in football and still feels the need to sit with me through MOTD. Bloody annoying.
I hate people who feign an interest in football.

I might sit through strictly and talk about anything other than dancing.

Offline richard moore

• GM : Jan, 2013
« Reply #44 on: October 07, 2013, 09:51:14 AM »
I really spoilt my wife to be. Her first game was the Charity Shield at Wembley against Spurs in 1981

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal