collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Goals from the Midfield  (Read 10344 times)

Offline Concrete Tom

• GM : Aug, 2013
Goals from the Midfield
« on: October 01, 2013, 10:26:26 PM »
Delph in the League Cup earlier this season followed by El Ahmadi and Bacuna on Saturday. Is there any possibility that we might lesson the Burden on our strikers this season?

Hopefully if Delph continues to play as he has been and continues to gain confidence, he might be the one to start scoring like he used to do at Leeds.

Offline not3bad

• GM : 15.06.2022
Re: Goals from the Midfield
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2013, 10:32:18 PM »
Hopefully both Delph and Bacuna can start to weigh in with more goals now. 

Offline dekko

« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2013, 10:38:10 PM »
I've noticed since the end of last season our midfielders have been trying a lot more shots from distance.  Not always a good idea (eg Tonev at Norwich) but I'm sure we'll see them spank in the odd goal.

As previously mentioned, Delph used to score some great goals in his Leeds days (and was unlucky that the shot he hit the post with at Arsenal didnt go in) so I reckon we'll see him get 5-10 this year now he's getting better and more confident.

Offline paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2013, 10:38:31 PM »
12 in 8 so far, 1/3 for Benteke, 1/3 for the rest of the strike force and 1/3 the rest of the team, that's not a bad split, given Benteke will get 25+ in my opinion if we've still got the same ratio at the end of the season we'll have no complaints.

Offline supertom

« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2013, 08:00:17 AM »
I think Benteke's injury forces us to explore different ways of playing. This also puts added pressure on midfield to score goals as well, which you would hope is pressure that will pay off. Last season it was very rare to see midfielders in the box or even close to getting in goalscoring opportunities. Benteke was at the heart of everything, and when things weren't going well he always had the ability to just get the ball and make a goal entirely by himself out of nothing.

I think long term Tekkers injury will make us a better side. It'll give us more ability to play without him but also to not play almost entirely through him.

Once Tonev settles you'd expect him to get a few screamers. Helenius looks capable of a special goal and hopefully in some "easier" games we can get him a few more minutes.

But yeah, Delphy should start adding goals soon. He's been unlucky a couple of times this season, notably against Arsenal. KEA may add a couple more to his tally this season if he continues playing. Bacuna looks capable of a good strike too. He scored a cracker in pre-season and the free kick at the weekend was different class. We've also got Zoggy to come back and Albrighton back in the managers thoughts. Both are capable of finding the net.

Offline themossman

• GM : 06.05.2022
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2013, 09:40:32 AM »
Agree. If we can get a few decent results without benteke it will be great for the confidence of the other players too. They must feel a bit like the supporting cast when he's in the team.

Offline Phil from the upper holte

« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2013, 10:39:38 AM »
I think Tonev is shooting too much, Needs to have a bit of composure, however the Bacuna goal was one of the best I've seen down VP in a while

Offline QBVILLA

« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2013, 11:45:25 AM »
I think Tonev is shooting too much, Needs to have a bit of composure, however the Bacuna goal was one of the best I've seen down VP in a while

Early days I know but I don't think Tonev will still be a Villa player in 12 months time.

Offline pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2013, 12:05:50 PM »
Out of interest, when was the last time we scored directly from a free kick at home in a league match?

I am imagining it is about 35 years ago, but am pretty sure it'll turn out to be not that long ago.

Offline pauliewalnuts

« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2013, 12:06:32 PM »

I know it was only against Rotherham, but the build up to Delph's goal was one of the best moves I've ever seen at Villa Park.

Offline BoskoDjembaSalifou

• BoskoDjembaSalifou
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2013, 12:07:16 PM »
Out of interest, when was the last time we scored directly from a free kick at home in a league match?

I am imagining it is about 35 years ago, but am pretty sure it'll turn out to be not that long ago.

N'Zogbia at home vs West Ham?

Online dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2013, 12:07:48 PM »

Didn't N'Zogbia get one last season?

Offline pauliewalnuts

« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2013, 12:08:12 PM »

N'Zogbia at home vs West Ham?

Ta!

See, I knew it wasn't decades ago. It just felt like it!

Online olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2013, 12:22:05 PM »

Yes it was Bruce Rioch since than nothing other than N'Zog last season and Ash Young, Gardner, Salano etc etc etc

Offline Concrete John

• GM : Mar, 2014
« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2013, 12:44:13 PM »

Early days I know but I don't think Tonev will still be a Villa player in 12 months time.

It is early, but not too soon to say that he'll need to improve to have a future here.  It is, however, too early to start saying he won't.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal