collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Confidence In The Manager  (Read 40894 times)

Offline supertom

Re: Confidence In The Manager
« Reply #30 on: September 25, 2013, 10:51:07 PM »
The most disappointing thing about the weakened side was the fact that the team turned up seemingly not too bothered about competing. It doesn't matter if you put 11 players out from your under 16 side. You should never play to lose and it felt like we did that. Granted we have done that in other cup games over the years, which was also one of many factors that made Houllier so unpopular. All Liverpool love-in aside, sending a team out to let Man City stroll to victory was disgusting.

O Neill's side against Hamburg was ridiculous, but all I'll say in defence is that they really gave their all and some of the kids did themselves proud that night.

Obviously Lambert and ourselves should expect far more from the players who stepped in. After all they have a chance to stake a good claim, but did anyone who played really do that? Albrighton aside, probably not. He showed great desire and effort.

When you're manager of a struggling side you want to take every opportunity you can to give fans a good show and cup games are ample opportunity. We should have put out a stronger side (not full strength, but closer to it) and he should have sent them out aboslutely fired up. He may as well have had our players kitted in butlers outfits serving trays of canopes to the Spurs players. I honestly can't blame anyone for being a bit fed up of the manager right now.

And...when you essentially throw a cup game for the benefit of your league form, you have to make damn sure you pick up points in the following game. The pressure is now on.

Offline olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
« Reply #31 on: September 25, 2013, 10:56:01 PM »
Anyway, how can you pick a team that isn't deliberate?
Yes normally that deliberation is to win the game however I truly believe that  in 3 instances I have stated the managers decided to give up the game.

Online dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #32 on: September 25, 2013, 11:00:16 PM »
Anyway, how can you pick a team that isn't deliberate?
Yes normally that deliberation is to win the game however I truly believe that  in 3 instances I have stated the managers decided to give up the game.

But not in every other instance wh en we've played the reserves?

Offline olaftab

« Reply #33 on: September 25, 2013, 11:01:49 PM »
No because there we knew we could win the match with selected team.

Offline pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #34 on: September 25, 2013, 11:04:02 PM »
I don't like the weakened sides thing, but look at some of the sides we've seen put out this week.

Online dave.woodhall

« Reply #35 on: September 25, 2013, 11:07:19 PM »

So, in three random games managers picked teams to deliberately lose. In other games the same managers, plus others, picked similar sides wanting to win. I don't follow the logic of this.

Offline VillaAlways

• GM : 23.10.2016
« Reply #36 on: September 25, 2013, 11:08:26 PM »
I don't like the weakened sides thing, but look at some of the sides we've seen put out this week.
Arsenal literally put out a team of teenagers tonight. Could easily have lost the game, WBA were 3-1 up on pens at one point

Offline supertom

« Reply #37 on: September 25, 2013, 11:09:05 PM »
Our weakened side still had internationals in it. On our own patch, we shouldn't be getting thoroughly rogered like we did. The whole point of Lambo building the squad too, was that we should have 24 easily interchangeable players. Aside from the standouts like Guzan, Benteke, Gabby and currently Delph, there's not much between the rest of them. Picking "best" 11 would actually be a struggle.

It disappoints me that the guys who came in, with a chance of really staking a claim, just didn't do enough. The only positive of the game was that Albrighton played pretty well and looks hungry again. Particularly as hes a player who could provide width we're lacking, but also potentially goals from midfield that we're lacking.

Offline pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #38 on: September 25, 2013, 11:09:37 PM »
Arsenal literally put out a team of teenagers tonight. Could easily have lost the game, WBA were 3-1 up on pens at one point

Blues put out a laughably piss poor side.

As they do every week.

*fetches coat*

Offline olaftab

« Reply #39 on: September 25, 2013, 11:09:49 PM »
It's a pity that you don't but I can't help you any further. You are in denial and that's ok for now.

Offline supertom

« Reply #40 on: September 25, 2013, 11:11:06 PM »

So, in three random games managers picked teams to deliberately lose. In other games the same managers, plus others, picked similar sides wanting to win. I don't follow the logic of this.
I guess it's the memory of how we played in a given match too, and how the players performed. If you really lack determination and some fight, then it just looks like your playing to lose. I don't actually think Spurs was as bad as City a few years back, but then again, didn't Houllier all but say we'd written the game off?

Online dave.woodhall

« Reply #41 on: September 25, 2013, 11:12:08 PM »
It's a pity that you don't but I can't help you any further. You are in denial and that's ok for now.

Well, that certainly added weight to your argument.

Online Rudy Can't Fail

• http://www.heroespredictions.co.uk/pl/
« Reply #42 on: September 25, 2013, 11:15:56 PM »
Two things currently concern me about our manager:

1. Tactically he's looking very MON despite the first two games of the season.

2. This season's crop of transfers with the exception of Jores don't look or show any signs of looking like they'll ever make it at this level in the next 9 months. Early days, granted but just a feeling. The term 'squad fillers' comes to mind.

Offline Californian Villain

• Mustang 68
  • GM : Apr, 2012
« Reply #43 on: September 25, 2013, 11:20:18 PM »
Yes on Lambert I wanted him in and I have supported everything he has done so fat up till last night. Last night he sent out a team with no intention of winning a cup tie. So I am sorry but that is not what I expect of manager of Aston Villa football club so he is out as far as I am concerned.

By that standard you've wanted every Villa manager since Brian Little out.You'll also want every future manager sacked in their first season. 

MON, Houllier and Lambert I'll give you, but Brian Little? When exactly?

Online dave.woodhall

« Reply #44 on: September 25, 2013, 11:21:01 PM »
Yes on Lambert I wanted him in and I have supported everything he has done so fat up till last night. Last night he sent out a team with no intention of winning a cup tie. So I am sorry but that is not what I expect of manager of Aston Villa football club so he is out as far as I am concerned.

By that standard you've wanted every Villa manager since Brian Little out.You'll also want every future manager sacked in their first season. 

MON, Houllier and Lambert I'll give you, but Brian Little? When exactly?

I meant after him.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal