collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Police hunt Villa fans after brutal attack at station  (Read 12938 times)

Offline Percy McCarthy

• King City Online
Re: Police hunt Villa fans after brutal attack at station
« Reply #45 on: September 28, 2013, 12:20:49 AM »
Its a violent world unfortunately and getting beaten up or beating someone up was definitely part of growing up for me. I'm not saying this in any macho way at all, that's just the way it was. In fact when i meet other people who didn't grow up like this I'm always baffled as it amazes me that people led nice, civilized lives. Horrible really

My thoughts exactly LV. I know your background and family and you know something of mine. Our mom and dad were born in 1921 and 1911 respectively, in Selly Oak and Balsall Heath. Our mom's entire immediate family except her were dead from TB or war by the time she was 19. 'Peaky Blinders' was their world, that's one generation ago for me and lots of working class people.

I'm surprised people are surprised that we haven't become a nation of Renaissance men over the last few decades.

Eh?

Your mom was born in 1911?

Dad. Read again paulie.

Online pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #46 on: September 28, 2013, 12:33:07 AM »
Fair enough, but even so, I had assumed you were about my age (i.e. born mid 60s), that's one feisty old fella right there.

Online pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #47 on: September 28, 2013, 12:33:19 AM »
^^ he says, respectfully, obi.

Offline Percy McCarthy

• King City Online
« Reply #48 on: September 28, 2013, 12:50:12 AM »
Fair enough, but even so, I had assumed you were about my age (i.e. born mid 60s), that's one feisty old fella right there.

Yes, he was 52 when I was born (Mom 43). I had my latest and last (hopefully!) addition when I was 48.

Offline Percy McCarthy

• King City Online
« Reply #49 on: September 28, 2013, 01:04:17 AM »
The funniest time was when I was with a red-haired Irish Catholic boxer and we got into a discussion about racism when he said he thought the MOBO awards were racist. We were in the Catholic Club, both pissed, and to cut a long story short the debate developed and came to a head when I said Jesus was black. 'How do you work that out?' he said and, pointing to a picture of Our Saviour on the wall, I said that considering where he was born and what everybody else round there looked like, if he came out with blonde hair and blue eyes like that picture, it's no wonder his mom was coming out with all sorts of bullshit about who the father was.

And then he chinned me.

This is amazing

How so?

It made me laugh like an idiot

Yeah, though I say so myself I thought it was really funny. That must have been ten/fifteen years ago, but coincidentally I saw him the other day. We were pissed again, and I reminded him of the entire conversation. 

'Don't do it again' he said, glaring at me. 'But doncha think it was funny though?' I said.

'You're doing it again' he said, so I kinda left it. Then he told me a really heart-warming story that had caused him to re-think his attitude to race and racism and we kind of bonded. Just goes to show that people are not complete pinheads or completely perfect, they're just shaped by their experience and their environment.

I also did laugh at that line. I hope to use it one day in conversation.

It's easy enough to set up, just don't say it to a Catholic boxer in a Catholic Community Centre.

Offline eastie

« Reply #50 on: September 29, 2013, 03:29:39 PM »
Fortunately I've never been beaten up and never beaten anyone up or come anywhere close to a fight , so at the age of 48 i hope that remains to be the case .

You must be considerably less annoying in real life (wink).

I guess thats what's called a Percy sledge ;)

Offline Mister E

• GM : 16.02.2025
« Reply #51 on: September 29, 2013, 07:06:30 PM »
Fortunately I've never been beaten up and never beaten anyone up or come anywhere close to a fight , so at the age of 48 i hope that remains to be the case .

Funny! From both of you.

I got 'done over' when I was about 15, walking home in a crombie and oxford bags. Some 'leather-clad youths' didn't like my clothing choice and decided to rearrange my face.
Happy days, the 1970's.

Offline Percy McCarthy

• King City Online
« Reply #52 on: September 30, 2013, 05:02:53 PM »

Funny! From both of you.

I got 'done over' when I was about 15, walking home in a crombie and oxford bags. Some 'leather-clad youths' didn't like my clothing choice and decided to rearrange my face.
Happy days, the 1970's.

At around the same age as you, I was walking along in Chelmsley in my first crombie. Some kid said 'My grandad's got a coat like that'. If you're going to the trouble of wearing a crombie in the first place, I think you're trying to convey the idea that you don't let random normal people take the piss out of you, so I ran over and hit him. I left it at that because there were two of them and they didn't run off as I'd expected. Gulp.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2013, 05:06:46 PM by Percy McCarthy »

Offline VillaAVFC

« Reply #53 on: June 27, 2014, 03:38:54 PM »
Just an update on this matter,

the 'victim' was on the opposite platform to the 'attackers'. He ran across the track without looking to attack the so called 'attackers'.

the victim was discharged from hospital the same night but then went back for observation.

One of the 'attackers' stood trial earlier this week and 12 jurors unanimously found him not guilty.

Dont always believe what you read

Can a moderator please lock this thread

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal