collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Second Press-ing  (Read 2207 times)

Offline dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
Second Press-ing
« on: September 25, 2013, 12:50:04 PM »
A quick something knocked up as an alternative to wrist-slashing.

http://thebirminghampress.com/2013/09/the-road-less-travelled-again/

Offline Marlon From Bearwood

Re: Second Press-ing
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2013, 02:57:01 PM »
Good point about the decline in prestige of cup games these days. I remember playing Spurs at home in the League Cup when we were in Division 2 in 1987 and the place was rocking. It felt great to beat them, even though we were never going to win it that year. I think it was at the same stage too, ie only the 2nd or 3rd round? It's a shame what's happened since, even more so with the FA Cup.

Offline dave.woodhall

« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2013, 03:21:22 PM »
Good point about the decline in prestige of cup games these days. I remember playing Spurs at home in the League Cup when we were in Division 2 in 1987 and the place was rocking. It felt great to beat them, even though we were never going to win it that year. I think it was at the same stage too, ie only the 2nd or 3rd round? It's a shame what's happened since, even more so with the FA Cup.

Third round. We beat 'Boro in the second and it's interesting that the gate for that was just over 11,000 and almost 30,000 against Spurs, whereas the difference in the Rotherham and last night crowds was negligible.

Offline LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2013, 03:25:17 PM »

Third round. We beat 'Boro in the second and it's interesting that the gate for that was just over 11,000 and almost 30,000 against Spurs, whereas the difference in the Rotherham and last night crowds was negligible.

It was the first time I'd ever seen a queue to get in the Holte that night.

Offline Rico

« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2013, 03:28:04 PM »
I don't know why but a quote from the 1977  league cup final programme came into my mind last night, "Birmingham children can be forgiven for thinking that all silverware comes wrapped in claret and blue ribbons." (Something like that anyway.) When did not winning trophies become important? We've hovered around the relegation zone for too long now, we need to start re-establishing ourselves - and to do that we need to start winning things. A cup win every few seasons puts you on the map, think 1975 and 1977. We need a springboard for success, last night we blew it. Take note Mr Lambert when the F.A. Cup comes around! Must try harder!

Offline dave.woodhall

« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2013, 03:29:37 PM »
I don't know why but a quote from the 1977  league cup final programme came into my mind last night, "Birmingham children can be forgiven for thinking that all silverware comes wrapped in claret and blue ribbons." (Something like that anyway.) When did not winning trophies become important?

When fourth got you into the Champions League.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2013, 05:03:22 PM by dave.woodhall »

Offline adrenachrome

« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2013, 03:44:05 PM »

I well remember playing them in 1968, 4th September to be precise, when we were in a lower division and headed lower still: they beat us 4-1 and Chivers scored a hat-trick. Lionel Martin scored for us but at the back of the Holte everybody thought it was Alan Deakin, whose name we chanted.

Check out the team lineups: 
11v11.com

Offline Irish villain

« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2013, 04:26:19 PM »
I don't know why but a quote from the 1977  league cup final programme came into my mind last night, "Birmingham children can be forgiven for thinking that all silverware comes wrapped in claret and blue ribbons." (Something like that anyway.) When did not winning trophies become important?

When fourth got you into the Champion League.

It won't go on a club's honours board though! In fifty years a cup win is a cup win.

I just need to banish that traditionalist from myself.

Offline Legion

• Oh, it must be! And it is! Villa in the lead!
    • Personal Education Services
  • GM : 05.04.2019
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2013, 07:50:36 PM »

When fourth got you into the Champions League.

That is so, so wrong. Is the correct term an 'oxymoron'?

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal