collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: On-going progress..  (Read 39993 times)

Offline LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
Re: On-going progress..
« Reply #210 on: October 05, 2013, 08:54:42 PM »
We do indeed need that creative midfielder, but I do think it's progress to solidly, boringly rack up another point away from home at an in-form side, having never been threatened with defeat and having had much the best of the game. It's not where we want to get to, but it's better than where we were.

Absolutely.

Offline barrysleftfoot

« Reply #211 on: October 05, 2013, 09:00:01 PM »

If the stories are true, that we were after Coutinhio, and the Japanese fella, then i think it is fair to say, that this is the next kind of player we will be buying.

Would'nt mind a couple of players to put Gabby and Weimann under competition as well.

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #212 on: October 05, 2013, 09:08:36 PM »
Can I just say how nice it is to have a positive goal difference for a change? It makes a change after the 6-0 thumping at Newcastle and the massacre over xmas which have knackered it in previous seasons.

Not important at this stage but it's good that even though Newcastle won they couldn't go above us and Swansea will have to win by two goals at Southampton to go above us.

Hopefully we don't get thumped again by Spurs to spoil that.

Offline Vegas

• Location: N Yorks (user name is 10+ years old and was only briefly true)
« Reply #213 on: October 05, 2013, 11:01:45 PM »
Agree Soccer HQ.  I remember coming out of the dark days of the late 80s with the McGrath / Mountfield / Nielsen (and at wing back Chrissie Price who did indeed have no hair / Kevin Gage?) defence and saying to my dad "our goal difference start with + not -" in a slightly bemused way

Offline Dante Lavelli

• GM : 25.05.2023
« Reply #214 on: October 06, 2013, 03:07:29 PM »
We took on a defensive coach in the summer - an ex-Arsenal player. I think that's the main reason why we look more organised.

Oh, that was a bould move. Seriously though, who is it? Perry Groves (or is he doing a Rick Astley tribute act nowadays?)?

Scott Marshall.

http://www.avfc.co.uk/page/NewsDetail/0,,10265~3220007,00.html

I'm a little concerned that Lambert is bringing in more and more of "his" men, seemingly encroaching on coaches like Cowans and McAndrew.  My worry is that if Lambert leaves (poached by a big club or sacked) then the infrastructure will leave with him.

Online PaulWinch again

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #215 on: October 06, 2013, 07:01:53 PM »

If the stories are true, that we were after Coutinhio, and the Japanese fella, then i think it is fair to say, that this is the next kind of player we will be buying.

Would'nt mind a couple of players to put Gabby and Weimann under competition as well.

Yes I'd hope a Coutinho type player is what we're looking at, because it could have a huge impact on us.

Offline Weedy

« Reply #216 on: October 09, 2013, 05:50:20 PM »
There's a Prem League progress feature in the DM today

http://www.heroesandvillains.info/forumv3/index.php?action=post;topic=50622.210;last_msg=2439597

For those who can't be arsed, this is their assessment of us -

"
Season so far
The spectre of relegation has finally been banished, after hanging over Villa Park during a turbulent year or two.
Paul Lambert is at last stamping his mark on the team, and they are responding.

Star man
Ashley Westwood – really coming into his own and fulfilling the promise he showed at the famed Crewe academy.
Looks increasingly accomplished and assured at the heart of midfield.

Must improve
Matt Lowton – so much was expected of this adventurous, attacking right back, especially after he signed a new long-term deal in the summer,
but he seems to have lost his way and has been ousted by Leandro Bacuna.

January shopping list
Depends on the budget placed at Lambert’s disposal, but he would like to bolster his squad with another central midfielder and another centre half.

Kid they're raving about
Gary Gardner – he may have turned 21 at the end of June, but he’s still waiting to show why he’s rated as a rising star.
If his latest injury, a niggly back problem, clears up, he may well do just that this season.
"

So Delph is Mr Anonymous and GG, who hasn't played, is the kid we're all raving bout?

Offline Mister E

• GM : 16.02.2025
« Reply #217 on: October 09, 2013, 06:42:26 PM »
There's a Prem League progress feature in the DM today

http://www.heroesandvillains.info/forumv3/index.php?action=post;topic=50622.210;last_msg=2439597

For those who can't be arsed, this is their assessment of us -

"
Season so far
The spectre of relegation has finally been banished, after hanging over Villa Park during a turbulent year or two.
Paul Lambert is at last stamping his mark on the team, and they are responding.

Star man
Ashley Westwood – really coming into his own and fulfilling the promise he showed at the famed Crewe academy.
Looks increasingly accomplished and assured at the heart of midfield.

Must improve
Matt Lowton – so much was expected of this adventurous, attacking right back, especially after he signed a new long-term deal in the summer,
but he seems to have lost his way and has been ousted by Leandro Bacuna.

January shopping list
Depends on the budget placed at Lambert’s disposal, but he would like to bolster his squad with another central midfielder and another centre half.

Kid they're raving about
Gary Gardner – he may have turned 21 at the end of June, but he’s still waiting to show why he’s rated as a rising star.
If his latest injury, a niggly back problem, clears up, he may well do just that this season.
"

So Delph is Mr Anonymous and GG, who hasn't played, is the kid we're all raving bout?

Bizarre to select Westie out as the "Star Man" in a season which he hasn't really started yet.
GG?
No Delph?

Offline cheltenhamlion

« Reply #218 on: October 09, 2013, 06:50:26 PM »
No doubting, its a shitty write up.

Offline oldtimernow

• GM : 18.09.2024
« Reply #219 on: October 10, 2013, 10:10:23 AM »
The Daily Hate....never let the truth get in the way of a story...nuff said

Offline not3bad

• GM : 15.06.2022
« Reply #220 on: October 10, 2013, 12:59:07 PM »

Helenius?

Online PaulWinch again

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #221 on: October 11, 2013, 01:34:30 PM »
http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11677/8967564/aston-villa-captain-ron-vlaar-backs-jores-okore-to-return-stronger-from-injury

I think this article shows why Vlaar is an excellent captain and is an important part of where we're going as a club.

Offline Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #222 on: October 11, 2013, 01:42:39 PM »
http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11677/8967564/aston-villa-captain-ron-vlaar-backs-jores-okore-to-return-stronger-from-injury

I think this article shows why Vlaar is an excellent captain and is an important part of where we're going as a club.

he has always come across as a really solid character so he embodies well what it means to be a captain. Much like Stan did. It's so much more than what you do on the pitch and almost as much if not more what you do off it, and how you convey the image of the club to the public and media. Vlaar has been unlucky himself in losing Okore because they were starting to develop a good partnership. It made him that much better as a player also to have such a promising talent next to him. That said, he's done well this season and it has helped that Clark has certainly stepped up his game.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal