collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Captain Fan(or Fab)tastic: Delph?  (Read 5571 times)

Offline BoskoDjembaSalifou

• BoskoDjembaSalifou
Re: Captain Fan(or Fab)tastic: Delph?
« Reply #15 on: September 22, 2013, 05:45:47 PM »
Wouldn't give him the captaincy now but definitely in the future if he keeps up his current form.

Offline Sunny Villa

« Reply #16 on: October 23, 2013, 01:39:01 AM »
Something's really tell you about a person ,  as the team came out against Spurs it was pouring down of rain  , Mr Delph , did no more than take his training top off and covered the young mascots head and upper body with it .

That is pure class , 

I wish some of the others would have followed suit,  but either way a fantastic gesture .

Offline VancouverLion

• GM : 24.01.2016
« Reply #17 on: October 23, 2013, 03:39:09 AM »
Class act & our best player by a country mile so far, happy for him. If he can keep it up he'll make the plane for Brazil, Woy won't be able to ignore  him forever.

Offline Brend'Watkins

• GM : 20.03.2025
« Reply #18 on: October 23, 2013, 09:17:27 AM »
There's a resemblance to Sid Cowans in some of his game.  He hasn't got the passing ability or the vision that Sid had but he does have the turn and a similar running style with the ball. Hope he keeps up his current form.

Offline Dr Butler

• GM : 10.08.2022
« Reply #19 on: October 23, 2013, 09:27:05 AM »
There's a resemblance to Sid Cowans in some of his game.  He hasn't got the passing ability or the vision that Sid had but he does have the turn and a similar running style with the ball. Hope he keeps up his current form.

I said something very similar on Sunday, if he could just keep that wild challenge under order he would be excellent as the Villa skipper in the future.

Offline eastie

« Reply #20 on: October 23, 2013, 09:36:04 AM »
Happy to leave the captaincy with Vlaar and let Delph concentrate on his own game , the fact he is happy and wants to stay is good news-

Quote from: the mirror

By Brendan McLoughlin | 22/10/13 

Fabian Delph has opened the door to a new Aston Villa contract after admitting he owes a debt of gratitude to chairman Randy Lerner.

Delph concedes he used to be the Villans' “missing man” after being sidelined with a string of injuries.

But the midfielder has been reborn under Paul Lambert - leading to some tipping him as an outside bet for a World Cup spot.

The £6m signing from Leeds’ existing deal runs out in 2015 - and is keen to sign up for longer to repay Lerner for the faith he has shown in him.

Delph said: “I’d love to be here for the rest of my career, but that’s not up to me.

“I’m sure if I stay fit, which is a big thing for me, then hopefully I might be offered a new contract.

“For me it’s about staying fit and helping my team-mates and just repaying people back.

“Randy, the chairman here, has been brilliant. Every time I’ve got injured he’s been positive with me.

“He owns the club and if I’m injured what good am I? I personally feel like I went missing for a few years.

“He always takes time to ask how I am and tells me what he thinks I can do better and how I can push on.”

« Last Edit: October 23, 2013, 09:38:28 AM by eastie »

Offline OCD

• http://www.rightconsultant.com
  • GM : May, 2012
« Reply #21 on: October 23, 2013, 01:39:54 PM »
In the broader debate of captains, I do think that they should be the only players who are allowed to talk to the officials

Depends on the conversation. I'm quite happy for players and refs to talk to eachother throughout a game but if it's to protest a decision then it should only be the captain who's allowed to do it. I've seen Pepe Reina at Liverpool run the distance of the pitch to get involved before now (he wasn't captain) and that's ridiculous. It also prevents the situations you see with the likes of Man United and Chelsea where they surround the ref, which again is horrible to see.

Online PaulWinch again

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #22 on: October 23, 2013, 03:34:27 PM »
Good to hear from Delph, sounds very sensible.

Offline Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #23 on: October 23, 2013, 07:12:12 PM »
He has always come over as very mature, humble and appreciative of what he has. You can see what it has meant to him for the club to have stood by him during his various injuries. That we made a significant investment in a young player and supported him to the player he has now become. Contrast to TCD who betrayed us at the first opportunity. He'll be an excellent choice as captain after Vlaar.

Offline john2710

« Reply #24 on: October 23, 2013, 08:21:12 PM »
Can't see Delph as a captain, yet. Needs to focus on his own game for now. I've always rated him & I'm glad that he is now showing his talent consistently. However, other than controlling the obvious lapses where he gets booked, I'm waiting to see him in a more forward role where he can do damage in and around the penalty area & influence the game. At the moment he bursts forward & takes players on but the end product is missing. The best players keep improving & I think Delph has that potential. It's up to him how far he goes.

Offline eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #25 on: October 24, 2013, 02:28:06 AM »
I like the fact that any media-coaching he's had clearly hasn't affected him coming across naturally when interviewed. One of the few footballers who doesn't just spout clichés but still shows the right amount of respect to his club. And he's been our best player this season. Fab indeed.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal