collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Posts

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Captain Fan(or Fab)tastic: Delph?  (Read 5584 times)

Offline supertom

Captain Fan(or Fab)tastic: Delph?
« on: September 22, 2013, 01:20:05 PM »
With the way Delphy has started the season and the desire he shows every game, I just wonder how long until we might potentially see him as skipper. Vlaar's been okay, but Delph seems to be the vocal guy in the middle of the park who likes to try and drive us on. Honestly, I think a skipper has to lead by example as well as being kind of respected, and I think Fab has got the qualities. He'd get my vote at the moment.

Offline Rigadon

• GM : Aug, 2014
Re: Captain Fan(or Fab)tastic: Delph?
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2013, 01:25:32 PM »
Mine too.  He's been very good for a while now and lifts the team with his driving runs and tackling.  Yes, he gets booked too often, yes it's taken him ages to settle at this level (even with a shocking injury record), but he's turned into a really classy midfielder.

Offline Nastylee

« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2013, 01:33:19 PM »
You don't have to wear an armband to be vocal or lead. A captain's role has changed over the decades, they are the middle man between the management and players, the voice of the players in matters such as bonuses and stuff. Therefore, a manager will choose someone he can trust both on and off the pitch who the players will look up to as well. Vlaar was signed by Lambert and as a senior international the younger players will look up to him. Delph should just continue what he's doing since he's never managed to get a full season under his belt before we start making him captain. He also needs to learn to control the yellow card situation as it's no good having a captain that will definitely miss a game in the next month for 5 yellow cards and undoubtedly miss more when he gets to 10 by about Jan/Feb.

Online Stu

• GM : 09.04.2021
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2013, 01:36:08 PM »
How about Brad? He was doing the talking in the team huddle before the game, giving the team a lift, then put on a superb display.

Online dekko

« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2013, 01:45:36 PM »
You don't have to wear an armband to be vocal or lead. A captain's role has changed over the decades, they are the middle man between the management and players, the voice of the players in matters such as bonuses and stuff. Therefore, a manager will choose someone he can trust both on and off the pitch who the players will look up to as well. Vlaar was signed by Lambert and as a senior international the younger players will look up to him. Delph should just continue what he's doing since he's never managed to get a full season under his belt before we start making him captain. He also needs to learn to control the yellow card situation as it's no good having a captain that will definitely miss a game in the next month for 5 yellow cards and undoubtedly miss more when he gets to 10 by about Jan/Feb.

This is A Good Post.

Also worth remembering that we don't see any of what goes on in the dressing room and behind the scenes, which is where a lot of the captain's work goes on.

I think Delph is certainly a future captain in the making, but he's had something like half a season playing to the standards required, it wouldn't be a good idea to lump extra pressure on him just when he's beginning to find some consistency.

Offline supertom

« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2013, 01:45:38 PM »
How about Brad? He was doing the talking in the team huddle before the game, giving the team a lift, then put on a superb display.
He'd be my second choice.

Offline Chipsticks

• GM : 22.04.2015
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2013, 01:52:14 PM »

I'm personally not a fan of having Goalkeeper captains as they can't dictate as much from their position on the pitch.

Offline taylorsworkrate

« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2013, 03:41:10 PM »
In the broader debate of captains, I do think that they should be the only players who are allowed to talk to the officials

Offline garyshawsknee

• GM : 03.06.2020
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2013, 03:42:45 PM »
As he gets older Delph could be an outstanding captain, but for now i'd just let him concentrate on his game and keep improving like he is. There was always a good player in there somewhere, his all round game is getting better and better,long may it continue.

Offline N'ZMAV

« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2013, 03:48:29 PM »
They should all be vocal.

Offline taylorsworkrate

« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2013, 03:50:28 PM »

I'm personally not a fan of having Goalkeeper captains as they can't dictate as much from their position on the pitch.

Do captains dictate though nowadays? They probably have next to no say in tactics or selection.

Offline olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2013, 04:04:28 PM »
Honestly a football captain in that important. Even complete arseholes like Terry managed to do it.

Offline Isa

« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2013, 04:23:31 PM »
This is the first season that Delph has started as automatic starter since he has been here. Probably best not to burden him with the responsibilities of the armband just yet.

Offline martin o`who??

• Apparently I am my own worst enemy.
« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2013, 04:25:29 PM »
As he gets older Delph could be an outstanding captain, but for now i'd just let him concentrate on his game and keep improving like he is. There was always a good player in there somewhere, his all round game is getting better and better,long may it continue.
If he`d just bulk up a tad he`d be a fuckin nightmare to play against.

Offline Can Gana Be Bettered!?!?

« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2013, 04:44:22 PM »
When Delph learns to control his own emotions, then he can be a leader.

There is no doubting he's becoming a really good player, but he needs to stop the ridiculous tackles he is prone to doing every game. Many of these come after contact with other players who have pissed him off in some way, or he's just pissed off at himself or others for getting something wrong.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal