collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Injury Time.  (Read 5208 times)

Offline fredm

• GM : 02.09.2024
Re: Injury Time.
« Reply #15 on: September 22, 2013, 12:25:53 PM »
About time football adopted the rugby union approach. Just stop the clock every time there's a substitution, injury or bit of time-wasting. That way everybody knows how long is left and just gets on with it.

Have been saying this for years whoever the knight from Manchester got on his high horse. The downside to having the ref indicating stopping time to timekeepers in the stand is a 3 o'clock match would end about 5.30!!

Offline andyaston

« Reply #16 on: September 22, 2013, 04:34:04 PM »
Five minutes is a bloody long time though. You rarely get that at the end of the first half and back before the timeboards if you went two minutes after the 90 you ran out breathe whistling at the ref.

Offline Fergal

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #17 on: September 22, 2013, 05:01:55 PM »
It always seems to me that the injury time added in the second half is always longer than what is added in the first.

Offline Andy_Lochhead_in_the_air

• Location: Upton Park....No, Olympic Stadium....No, Aston Park...Yes that's it,Turf Moor.
« Reply #18 on: September 22, 2013, 05:50:44 PM »
Added time was introduced into the Laws of the Game because of an incident which happened in 1891. On Saturday November 21st 1891 Stoke were losing 2-1 to  Villa when they were awarded a penalty with seconds of the match remaining. However the Villa goalkeeper Albert Hinchley kicked the ball out of the ground and by the time it had been returned the referee had blown for full-time.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2013, 06:01:01 PM by Andy_Lochhead_in_the_air »

Offline taylorsworkrate

« Reply #19 on: September 22, 2013, 05:59:35 PM »
There's never been a game of football that has had anywhere close to enough injury time played in it.

The balls in play for an average of about an hour a game. Therefore there should be at least 15 minutes injury time each half, then you'd have to add more injury time for the ball being out of play in injury time.

Fans are being well and truly ripped off. Imagine if a taxi driver stopped his cab, jumped out and danced on the pavement for a couple of minutes while the meter kept running. Would you get out and jig along with him?

Offline taylorsworkrate

« Reply #20 on: September 22, 2013, 06:01:52 PM »
About time football adopted the rugby union approach. Just stop the clock every time there's a substitution, injury or bit of time-wasting. That way everybody knows how long is left and just gets on with it.

That would be good, except that it isn't used properly in Rugby. The clock should be stopped every time the ball goes out of play, but it isn't. A kicker can take up to a minute lining up a kick whilst the clock runs and scrums take for fucking ever without the clock being stopped.

• Location: Upton Park....No, Olympic Stadium....No, Aston Park...Yes that's it,Turf Moor.
« Reply #21 on: September 22, 2013, 06:04:15 PM »
Imagine if a taxi driver stopped his cab, jumped out and danced on the pavement for a couple of minutes while the meter kept running. Would you get out and jig along with him?

If it was a late night taxi and I was pissed, yes.

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #22 on: September 22, 2013, 06:08:12 PM »
There's never been a game of football that has had anywhere close to enough injury time played in it.

The balls in play for an average of about an hour a game. Therefore there should be at least 15 minutes injury time each half, then you'd have to add more injury time for the ball being out of play in injury time.

Fans are being well and truly ripped off. Imagine if a taxi driver stopped his cab, jumped out and danced on the pavement for a couple of minutes while the meter kept running. Would you get out and jig along with him?

That isn't injury time though is it?

Reminds of the famous story, or possibly myth, of how back in the early days we conceded a penalty right at the death that would have been important. One of our players grabbed the ball and booted it as far as he could out of play (this would have been before we moved to VP) and as there was no injury time in those days the ref blew for full time and we got away with it.

Offline taylorsworkrate

« Reply #23 on: September 22, 2013, 06:12:30 PM »
No, not technically, but then scoring goals and making substitutions isn't technically injury time.

Just think its ridiculous that a third of a match is allowed to go by with nothing happening

« Reply #24 on: September 22, 2013, 06:17:17 PM »
No, not technically, but then scoring goals and making substitutions isn't technically injury time.

Just think its ridiculous that a third of a match is allowed to go by with nothing happening

Its not injury time , it is stoppage time.

Law 7. The duration of the match,

Allowance for time lost

Allowance is made in either period for all time lost through:
• substitutions
• assessment of injury to players
• removal of injured players from the field of play for treatment
• wasting time
• any other cause
The allowance for time lost is at the discretion of the referee

Offline taylorsworkrate

« Reply #25 on: September 22, 2013, 06:20:57 PM »
I'd be all for the clock stopping, but it would have to stop every time the ball went out of play

« Reply #26 on: September 22, 2013, 06:21:29 PM »
Reminds of the famous story, or possibly myth, of how back in the early days we conceded a penalty right at the death that would have been important. One of our players grabbed the ball and booted it as far as he could out of play (this would have been before we moved to VP) and as there was no injury time in those days the ref blew for full time and we got away with it.

Not myth. See my comments above.

Reference: The Sunday Times Illustrated History Of Football Reed International Books Limited 1996. p.11

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #27 on: September 22, 2013, 06:25:09 PM »
Ooops sorry ALITA. I only clicked view last post and then replied to that. That will teach me for not reading! My excuse is i'm feeling delicate today haha

Offline Dave

• GM : 04.01.2024
« Reply #28 on: September 22, 2013, 07:20:54 PM »
It always seems to me that the injury time added in the second half is always longer than what is added in the first.
Wouldn't that be expected? Second halves tend to be the ones when substitutions happen and a substitution is a mandatory 30 seconds of added time.

Offline taylorsworkrate

« Reply #29 on: September 22, 2013, 07:27:24 PM »
Wouldn't that be expected? Second halves tend to be the ones when substitutions happen and a substitution is a mandatory 30 seconds of added time.
Goals are supposed to add 30 seconds also, yet I've seen first halves with 4 goals that only have 1 minute added on

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal