collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Rainbow Laces  (Read 12814 times)

Offline bertlambshank

• GM : 30.06.2019
Re: Rainbow Laces
« Reply #60 on: September 20, 2013, 09:41:59 PM »
I think to be honest it reflects badly on the FA/Premier League/Clubs, that it's taken a bookmaker to join forces with Stonewall to try to make a statement about it.
Or a betting company pulling the pants down of a charity for a bit of self publicity.If you want to blame anyone blame Stonewall.Paddy power have form on advert Highjacking,it looks like they have done it again.The more I think about it Stonewall should of said to PP 'thanks but no thanks'.

I'm not looking to blame Stonewall or Paddypower, my point is that someone within British football should have come up with a similar idea many many years ago
Didn't they try something a few years ago but scrapped it because they couldn't find any players willing to front the campaign?
I remember they cost that twat from Arsenal 100 grand at the Euro's with his PP boxers.

Online Legion

• Oh, it must be! And it is! Villa in the lead!
    • Personal Education Services
  • GM : 05.04.2019
« Reply #61 on: September 20, 2013, 09:42:11 PM »
Or get behind it. Sorry in advance.

Offline danlanza

« Reply #62 on: September 20, 2013, 09:48:11 PM »
Or get behind it. Sorry in advance.
Looks like you are up shit creek without a paddle Legion.

Offline N'ZMAV

« Reply #63 on: September 20, 2013, 10:09:05 PM »
Rainbow laces? I remember Rainbow drops.

Online Dave

• GM : 04.01.2024
« Reply #64 on: September 20, 2013, 10:24:22 PM »
I think to be honest it reflects badly on the FA/Premier League/Clubs, that it's taken a bookmaker to join forces with Stonewall to try to make a statement about it.
Or a betting company pulling the pants down of a charity for a bit of self publicity.If you want to blame anyone blame Stonewall.Paddy power have form on advert Highjacking,it looks like they have done it again.The more I think about it Stonewall should of said to PP 'thanks but no thanks'.

I'm not looking to blame Stonewall or Paddypower, my point is that someone within British football should have come up with a similar idea many many years ago
Didn't they try something a few years ago but scrapped it because they couldn't find any players willing to front the campaign?
To answer my own question, the answer is sort of.

The FA wanted to launch a campaign in 2010 with a member of each squad speaking out about homophobia, but the Premier League vetoed it.

According to Gordon Taylor, "It's not a straightforward issue and it would be unfair to ask an individual player to back a campaign like this in case they got targeted by football crowds".

So much for there not really being an issue.

Offline danlanza

« Reply #65 on: September 20, 2013, 10:29:25 PM »
Rainbow laces? I remember Rainbow drops.
Rainbow sherbert ?

Offline Rodders

• GM : 30.08.2024
« Reply #66 on: September 20, 2013, 10:42:46 PM »
I can see where the commercial stance on non-participation is coming from, but it is frankly, to pinch Louzie's phrase, bollux.

The club don't insist that e.g. Stoke City players and travelling support (yes, ho ho!) remove Bet365's logo from their shirts when they come to Villa Park because Dafabet won't like it, do they?

Yet there they are on the pitch and in the stands, displaying a commercial rival's logo all over the world on the telly ON OUR BLOODY PITCH!

I mean, seriously - how big can you actually get the words "Paddy Power*" on a pair of bloody bootlaces?

Does it really matter, given the cause??

I sincerely hope that all the non-participating clubs relent before KO tomorrow.

*Paddy Power may well be a bunch of robbing bastards, but they're not major sponsors in the Prem (minor deal with the Arse, RedScouse and BlueScouse), and have in fact just saved Farnborough FC from administration: http://blog.paddypower.com/2013/08/13/paddy-power-turns-farnborough-fc-into-the-greatest-team-of-all-time/

Offline supertom

« Reply #67 on: September 21, 2013, 03:35:43 AM »
What is the latest? Are Villa participating or not?

Online Dante Lavelli

• GM : 25.05.2023
« Reply #68 on: September 22, 2013, 09:55:38 AM »

I also feel that as soon as a player does come out as gay, we will all see what a none issue homophobia in football actually is.

Justin Fashanu?

I hope things have moved on from the 80s, but you never know.

I'm not saying the "banter" of villa fans signing about Upson is correct but do you think we would still sing the song if he was openly gay?  I've never sung the song so I'm not sure what the motivation is/was but I suspect that part of the insult/banter is calling a player gay when they're not. 

Offline saunders_heroes

• GM : 25.02.2025
« Reply #69 on: September 22, 2013, 10:13:54 AM »

I also feel that as soon as a player does come out as gay, we will all see what a none issue homophobia in football actually is.

Justin Fashanu?

I hope things have moved on from the 80s, but you never know.

I'm not saying the "banter" of villa fans signing about Upson is correct but do you think we would still sing the song if he was openly gay?  I've never sung the song so I'm not sure what the motivation is/was but I suspect that part of the insult/banter is calling a player gay when they're not. 

I don't get that argument. Imagine a genuine gay footballer hearing that song and thinking, "Christ, Upson isn't even gay and still they humiliate him". What's the chance of him coming out then?
And yes I do think Villa fans would have sung that song if Upson was openly gay, basically because casual homophobia still seems to be acceptable where as racism isn't.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2013, 10:49:17 AM by saunders_heroes »

Offline Dave Cooper please

• GM : 20.04.2019
« Reply #70 on: September 22, 2013, 12:18:39 PM »

I'm not saying the "banter" of villa fans signing about Upson is correct but do you think we would still sing the song if he was openly gay? 

Yes they would, and probably a whole lot worse.
I have absolutely no faith in a hell of a lot of football fans including many of those of Aston Villa.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2013, 12:20:39 PM by Plumbutt Cooper »

Online olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
« Reply #71 on: September 22, 2013, 12:29:37 PM »
It's a relief being coloured at least it's open and everyone has to deal with. Surely same should apply to sexuality. Come out and deal head on with these who have a problem with it.

Offline UK Redsox

• GM : 10.02.2025
« Reply #72 on: September 22, 2013, 01:14:26 PM »
Disappointing to see the organisers, teams and league bungle this rainbow thing.

Online Bad English

• I am Perpignan Villa
  • GM : 29.03.2025
« Reply #73 on: September 22, 2013, 02:10:58 PM »
I can't believe this. Five pages before someone gets a Bungle reference in.

Offline Ego Uhiogu

« Reply #74 on: September 23, 2013, 12:36:33 PM »
I can see where the commercial stance on non-participation is coming from, but it is frankly, to pinch Louzie's phrase, bollux.

The club don't insist that e.g. Stoke City players and travelling support (yes, ho ho!) remove Bet365's logo from their shirts when they come to Villa Park because Dafabet won't like it, do they?

Yet there they are on the pitch and in the stands, displaying a commercial rival's logo all over the world on the telly ON OUR BLOODY PITCH!

I mean, seriously - how big can you actually get the words "Paddy Power*" on a pair of bloody bootlaces?

Does it really matter, given the cause??

I sincerely hope that all the non-participating clubs relent before KO tomorrow.

*Paddy Power may well be a bunch of robbing bastards, but they're not major sponsors in the Prem (minor deal with the Arse, RedScouse and BlueScouse), and have in fact just saved Farnborough FC from administration: http://blog.paddypower.com/2013/08/13/paddy-power-turns-farnborough-fc-into-the-greatest-team-of-all-time/

They only saved Farnborough from admin for a bit of publicity. They've turned the club into a laughing stock with this name change stunt.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal