collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Follow us on...

Author Topic: AVB Bemoans Timing of Villa-Spurs Game  (Read 7641 times)

Offline eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
AVB Bemoans Timing of Villa-Spurs Game
« on: September 19, 2013, 12:16:39 AM »

Have our chances of beating them gone from being underdogs to favourites?

Tottenham manager Andre Villas-Boas says the Football League is "putting players' careers at risk" with its scheduling of the League Cup.
Spurs play in the Europa League on Thursday, visit Cardiff in the Premier League on Sunday and then face a League Cup trip to Aston Villa on Tuesday.
"How can a game be scheduled after two days, immediately putting careers at risk with injuries?" Villas-Boas asked.
The Football League has yet to respond to Villas-Boas's comments.

Tottenham, who have spent around £105m on seven new players to compensate for the loss of Gareth Bale to Real Madrid for 100m euros (£85.3m), have made a strong start to the season.

Narrow victories over Crystal Palace and Swansea were followed by a defeat against north London rivals Arsenal, but the Lilywhites beat Norwich 2-0 on Saturday.

Spurs reached the quarter-finals of the Europa League last season, but many saw their regular Thursday night fixtures as a major reason why they failed to gain the top-four Premier League finish needed for Champions League qualification.
A comprehensive 8-0 aggregate play-off win over Dinamo Tbilisi put them through to this year's group stages, and their Group K fixtures begin with a match against Tromso at White Hart Lane.
Villas-Boas is unhappy that his team have to play their League Cup tie at Villa Park on a Tuesday when five other ties are being played the following day.

"I find it absolutely incredible that we have to risk injuries to our players in a game that they play on that Tuesday," the Portuguese said.
"The problem is that it puts the players in a very difficult situation.
"It's also nothing new in English football. I had the same thing once with Wolverhampton and Chelsea, when I was at Chelsea, and I spoke the same way.
"The second day of recovery is the most dangerous day for a player to pick up an injury. If this is not taken into account I think it's bad.
"Other things have to be respected - televised games, fixture organisation, the police - comes into account because of the fixtures that are being played on the Tuesday and Wednesday.
"But the problem is that in the end Tottenham was chosen to play on Tuesday, with only the Monday to recover from the last match, and that puts us in a very difficult position."

Offline KevinGage

• GM : 20.09.20
Re: AVB Bemoans Timing of Villa-Spurs Game
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2013, 12:58:41 AM »
Felt since the draw was made that we'll win this one. 

Dunno why.

Think we might be good at home in the cups.   Frustratingly so, compared to our league form. 

Online The Left Side

« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2013, 03:26:54 AM »
The Villa have an extra day and a bits rest, take any advantage we can get.

Online Nev

• GM : 03.02.2022
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2013, 06:26:31 AM »
Perhaps, if this competition is causing too much hassle, and considering the tilt for the title, assault on European glory and FA Cup destiny, AVB might like to withdraw from it and we can have a nice little passage to the next round without having to play a game?

If not, he could suck it up and play the game rather than using a disingenuous concern for player careers to cover up his managerial misgivings.

Offline Meanwood Villa

• GM : PCM
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2013, 07:58:22 AM »
Sounds like he's getting the excuses in early. Bringing up the potential for player injuries is quite cynical I think. They are unlucky to have to play on the Tuesday because of the perfect storm of other fixtures but I'd have more respect for him if he said he was annoyed but it is what it is and they've got to suck it up.

Offline supertom

« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2013, 08:08:08 AM »
He's spent over 100 million this summer on building a big squad. He should use it. He's got two players in every position.

Online Chico Hamilton III

« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2013, 09:10:59 AM »
Yeah, and he needs to clear his throat before he gives press conferences. Every time I hear him speak I'm desperate for him to cough.

Offline Rigadon

• GM : Aug, 2014
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2013, 09:48:37 AM »
Well said Chico.  Cough it up man!

Online Clampy

• GM : PCM
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2013, 09:55:49 AM »
He's got a point about playing two games in two days but like a lot of people have already said, they've got a big enough squad to cope . A Spurs fan rang Talksport saying AVB shouldn't be really be moaning about it but also said a weakened spurs side should have enough to beat us.

Offline ADVILLAFAN

• GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2013, 09:56:42 AM »
I can see why he'd be annoyed at having 3 games in 6 days, but he has a large squad which he can rotate.

My main annoyance with him is still that whenever I see his name out of the corner of my eye I think it's something about Aston Villa, not Andre-Villas bastardface.

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2013, 10:05:52 AM »
Arsenal also play on Sunday and have been drawn away to Albion in the League Cup. The police wouldn't want Villa and Albion at home at the same time and wouldn't want Spurs and Arsenal fans travelling up together and arriving in Birmingham simultaneously, so whatever they did they were bound to annoy Spurs or Arsenal. One has to play on Sunday followed by Tuesday.

Online Monty

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2013, 10:07:47 AM »
I actually like him (shame he's at That Club), and he does have a point here. Yes he can rotate, but it's not for the footballing schedulers to force him to do x or y with his squad.

Online Chris Smith

• GM : 08.01.2025
« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2013, 10:08:29 AM »
The whole point is that it is supposed to be difficult to be successful. As others have said they've got the squad, built over time as they've progressed, now it seems they also want the fixture compilers make it easier for them and prevent the rest of us having the opportunity to catch up.

Plus it's a bit of getting his excuses in early. 

Online Monty

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2013, 10:09:05 AM »
Arsenal also play on Sunday and have been drawn away to Albion in the League Cup. The police wouldn't want Villa and Albion at home at the same time and wouldn't want Spurs and Arsenal fans travelling up together and arriving in Birmingham simultaneously, so whatever they did they were bound to annoy Spurs or Arsenal. One has to play on Sunday followed by Tuesday.

Arsenal would play their European game earlier than Spurs, so they should play on the Tuesday and us and Spurs on the Wednesday.

Offline Marlon From Bearwood

« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2013, 10:25:34 AM »
It's also to do with Small Heath being at home in the cup, to Swansea who are also in the Europa, so it gets complicated.

Basically we can't play at home at the same time as SHA and WBA.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal