collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Posts

Re: Champions League Contention by lovejoy
[Today at 06:15:07 AM]

Re: Jacob Ramsey by Percy McCarthy
[Today at 05:46:28 AM]

Re: Championship Memories by villabear
[Today at 04:37:35 AM]

Re: Championship Memories by Rory
[Today at 04:07:17 AM]

Re: Lille vs Aston Villa post-match thread by olaftab
[Today at 02:42:51 AM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by olaftab
[Today at 02:30:08 AM]

Re: Championship Memories by aj2k77
[Today at 02:00:12 AM]

Re: Championship Memories by Pete3206
[Today at 01:38:56 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Safe Standing - Fan led consultation - online link - post #43  (Read 51050 times)

Offline dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
Re: Safe Standing - Fan led consultation
« Reply #30 on: September 15, 2013, 03:04:13 PM »
Quote from: Rudy65 on Today at 12:28:38 PM
Apologies for sounding so negative but why is standing so important to people? I have stood on the Holte many times in the past and as a teenager the surge of the crowd and meeting up with your mates was part of the excitement. If as you say, this wouldnt happen now, i dont see the point.

Personally, i think football has moved on for the better with all seater stadia and we should leave it at that.

You sit out of choice. Why shouldn't I be allowed to stand for the same reason?

Its a bit like sayng you want to stand at the cinema or the theatre. You cant, end of.

www.shakespearesglobe.com/

Offline amfy

• GM : 07.07.2024
« Reply #31 on: September 15, 2013, 03:09:43 PM »
Quote from: Rudy65 on Today at 12:28:38 PM
Apologies for sounding so negative but why is standing so important to people? I have stood on the Holte many times in the past and as a teenager the surge of the crowd and meeting up with your mates was part of the excitement. If as you say, this wouldnt happen now, i dont see the point.

Personally, i think football has moved on for the better with all seater stadia and we should leave it at that.

You sit out of choice. Why shouldn't I be allowed to stand for the same reason?

Its a bit like sayng you want to stand at the cinema or the theatre. You cant, end of.

Well it would be if you could find anyone who wanted to stand at the cinema or the theatre, or anyone that stands at the cinema or the theatre despite the fact that they've been told for 20 odd years that they can't. The truth is, all these years of being told not to stand, and people still stand.

It is far more akin to standing at a gig, or even closer to home - standing at rugby, standing at horse racing. There is something in people that wants to stand for football. There is something participative in standing, there is something in standing which is linked with being involved rather than an observer. It is fine to be an observer, but those who want to stand, those who do stand, come to football for something else.

Offline Steve R

• GM : Aug, 2013
« Reply #32 on: September 15, 2013, 05:19:38 PM »
Good work, Amfy.

Although I support the principle of safe standing I do have one reservation. My recent health issues means that it's probably not suitable for me at present. I'm sure that there are plenty of other people who either for health reasons or their age similarly wouldn't want to stand. The issue comes if those people currently sit in the area that might potentially be used for this trial and they are forced to relocate. As I say I'm in favour of the idea but there are wider issues that need to be considered.

The other side of the coin Chris is that if there were safe standing areas available, those opting for a seat ticket have a better chance of actually being able to sit during the game. It depends very much how clubs would implement safe standing in away areas, given that at home games most fans already know where to go if they actually want to sit.

Offline Dave Cooper please

• GM : 20.04.2019
« Reply #33 on: September 15, 2013, 05:23:37 PM »

If a large amount of cinema goers decided they would like to stand and watch a film, and they got together to petition for it, and other cinema goers thought "Yes, great idea, I'd like to stand and watch a film as well." then cinemas might experiment with standing areas. But that's unlikely really isn't it?
Although I note that at some film showings such as The Rocky Horror Picture Show and that Abba film they have special showings where people dress up and dance and sing in the aisles, so there you go.

Meanwhile Amfy's survey is showing a vast majority of Villa fans would like to stand, or at least have the choice of standing or not, and the club appear to be listening. So your argument is pretty facile, you will still be able to sit even if this is bought in, and in fact your match experience might be better because the standees will create atmosphere and less people will be likely to stand in front of you during the game.

Offline danlanza

« Reply #34 on: September 15, 2013, 08:28:29 PM »

If a large amount of cinema goers decided they would like to stand and watch a film, and they got together to petition for it, and other cinema goers thought "Yes, great idea, I'd like to stand and watch a film as well." then cinemas might experiment with standing areas. But that's unlikely really isn't it?
Although I note that at some film showings such as The Rocky Horror Picture Show and that Abba film they have special showings where people dress up and dance and sing in the aisles, so there you go.

Meanwhile Amfy's survey is showing a vast majority of Villa fans would like to stand, or at least have the choice of standing or not, and the club appear to be listening. So your argument is pretty facile, you will still be able to sit even if this is bought in, and in fact your match experience might be better because the standees will create atmosphere and less people will be likely to stand in front of you during the game.
Nobody can argue with that post. Well said Plumbutt.

Offline cheltenhamlion

« Reply #35 on: September 16, 2013, 06:01:51 PM »
Whilst there may be a few that are miffed if they have to relocate, surely this is one where people win all round outside of it.

If you want to sit you can do so in an area of like minded people so you aren't up and down every five minutes.

If you want to stand you can do so which should improve the atmosphere, stop the stand off with stewards if you are standing in front of your seat and keep the council happy.

If you are a steward it must be a bonus not having to battle with standers and instead concerning yourself with more important matters of crowd safety as well as having additional time to help people out and add to their match day experience.

That's an awful lot of pluses against a few pissed off that they have to move.

Offline amfy

« Reply #36 on: September 16, 2013, 08:21:56 PM »
Please note - there are 2 pages to this survey!

OK - I'm going to try and post a survey monkey. Can someone who hasn't filled in the paper version give this a try and feed back if it works OK please? (hopefully the link will work).

I know I can try this out with you lot before I go and make an idiot of myself on the other sites where they don't know me.

<div id="surveyMonkeyInfo"><div><script src="http://www.surveymonkey.com/jsEmbed.aspx?sm=Zf4znpgh3aifIOKt13t5SQ_3d_3d"> </script></div>Create your free online surveys with SurveyMonkey , the world's leading questionnaire tool.</div>

heres hoping....
« Last Edit: September 16, 2013, 09:18:54 PM by amfy »

Offline amfy

« Reply #37 on: September 16, 2013, 08:23:12 PM »
Ok - that doesn't look like it'll work - but maybe someone can fix it like they do when I mess up youtube links!

Offline Legion

• Oh, it must be! And it is! Villa in the lead!
    • Personal Education Services
  • GM : 05.04.2019
« Reply #38 on: September 16, 2013, 08:24:03 PM »
I will. Send me the link and I'll try and sort it out for you on here.

Offline Legion

« Reply #39 on: September 16, 2013, 08:25:27 PM »

Offline Legion

« Reply #40 on: September 16, 2013, 08:25:56 PM »
That did not work.

Offline amfy

« Reply #41 on: September 16, 2013, 08:38:23 PM »
Have pm-ed you Leeg!

I have been battling with the stupid survey monkey for days, just trying to get it written!

Now I can't work out how to post the stupid thing! If the worst comes to the worst I can always email the survey and get some one else to put it on!

Offline Legion

« Reply #42 on: September 16, 2013, 08:39:37 PM »
Got your PM. If I could log in I'd be able to help you.

Offline Legion

« Reply #43 on: September 16, 2013, 08:55:24 PM »
Click here to access the survey

NOTE: There are TWO pages to this survey. Please do not miss the 'NEXT' button at the bottom of the first page.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2013, 09:31:30 PM by Legion »

Offline Legion

« Reply #44 on: September 16, 2013, 08:55:40 PM »
Woo-hoo!

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal