collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Recent Posts

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Safe Standing - Fan led consultation - online link - post #43  (Read 51081 times)

Offline amfy

• GM : 07.07.2024
Safe Standing - Fan led consultation - online link - post #43
« on: September 13, 2013, 08:43:19 PM »
Hi all!

I met up with Lee Preece on Wednesday, and was happy with how it went. I just wanted to try and have as much info as possible before posting.

I am going to start the consultation tomorrow, and I'll be speaking to people at The Family Fun Day, as it's and early chance to reach an important demographic. It'll be good to show that we have consulted young families. I'll be out and about in other areas of the ground/local area in following games

Basically, I'm just going to be giving out an A4 information sheet to those who need it, answering any questions and involving people in conversation, and getting as many people as possible to fill in a short survey. The club were quite happy with what I'd produced straight away.

The info is about the club's current position, the regs about standing, why we need a fan led consultation, and what safe standing looks like.

The survey information is mostly demographics and then a basic question of whether you are for or against a safe standing area at Villa Park, or want more information. There's a narrative box for reasons. It's really basic so peple can complete it quickly. The demographics are what we need to hopefully show that there isn't a particular group that is put off by the idea of there being standing areas in the ground.

The club have been really helpful. They are printing everything off for me, providing the clipboards and pens etc,  allowing me to collect and dump everything before the game so that I don't have to lug a load of stuff about. They will do all the data crunching for me when I give everything in so I don't have to sort anything else out.

I was waiting to see whether they want me to launch a survey monkey, but they're debating whether to just run it on their own software once I have got the ball rolling, as it'll make the data crunching easier. The doubt is around whether this will corrupt the idea of it being fan led. They are also going to get back to me about whether I can put the survey out on official coaches.

They don't want me to canvass in concourses, to avoid the accusation that I am preaching to the converted in areas like the Holte and the North Stand lower. They are quite happy for me to hang around anywhere outside though, including places like The Holte Pub & Suite, The Lions Club, The Academy etc. which has made me think of going in places like The Aston Social before the game too.

They have asked me to start on my own so that I can get a feel for what I'm up against, and can brief anyone who wants to help out at future games thoroughly. If anyone wants to work with me at future matches, I'd like us to work together in one area rather than spread out around the ground, then we can support each other with difficult questions, or anyone on a wind up.

So
Pm me if you can help out at future games.
Or come and find me at Family Fun Day and get your survey signed as soon as possible - I'll be the one juggling half a dozen clipboards!
« Last Edit: September 16, 2013, 09:56:26 PM by amfy »

Offline TheTimVilla

• GM : 13.02.2022
Re: Safe Standing - Fan led consultation
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2013, 09:34:06 PM »
Sounds great. Good luck.

Offline Brazilian Villain

• GM : 09.03.2025
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2013, 09:35:52 PM »
Good work Amfy and best of luck with it! Would love to see safe standing at VP.

Offline Legion

• Oh, it must be! And it is! Villa in the lead!
    • Personal Education Services
  • GM : 05.04.2019
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2013, 09:46:59 PM »
Great stuff, amfy. Feel free to canvass my opinion outside the church tomorrow. Just make sure you buy a copy of H&V afterwards so I do not upset the Boss.

Seriously, I am well impressed. I'm all for it.

Offline dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2013, 10:09:50 PM »
Great stuff, amfy. Feel free to canvass my opinion outside the church tomorrow. Just make sure you buy a copy of H&V afterwards so I do not upset the Boss.

She's already bought it.

Online paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2013, 10:19:05 PM »
As others have said, great to see you take the initiative and start something happening around this and I'm really glad the club have shown yet again that if you work with them they're willing to put the effort in with the fans.

Offline amfy

« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2013, 10:19:42 PM »

She's already bought it.

Is he still allowed to fill the survey in on your time?

Offline dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2013, 10:42:07 PM »

She's already bought it.

Is he still allowed to fill the survey in on your time?

Multi-tasking.

Offline frankmosswasmyuncle

• GM : 05.09.2024
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2013, 10:43:48 PM »
Hi amfy.
Lee Preece has said he will phone me soon but at work that is very difficult so I'll gladly fall in with you leading the way and helping when I can.
I'll PM you soon.
Great work!
Well done, and glad to know the club are supporting you (us?) all the way.
UTV!

Offline OCD

• http://www.rightconsultant.com
  • GM : May, 2012
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2013, 10:49:51 PM »
It's good to see someone take a lead on this and hopefully our club can lead the rest of the country like we've done before.

It seems strange that the club are worried about the data having a bias nature. I understand it from a survey point of view but surely there's a need to show a real demand for this? I don't see why there can't be sections in the Holte and/or Lower North Stand (and planned into the stand that eventually replaces it) for this and it should help generate a really good atmosphere. Borussia Dortmund are really the example for that and we have a manager who would no doubt agree with that.

I wonder whether there's value in using Survey Monkey over the club's systems. Sceptics could always say that the club has skewed the data towards the direction that it favours. Keeping it genuinely independent would avoid that. Then again, people could say that your data is skewed so I don't know what the answer is there.

Offline amfy

« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2013, 10:57:50 PM »
Yes I can see that, but it is also a good idea to work on showing that there is a demand for this from all sections of our support - not just those who want to stand themselves.

Offline frankmosswasmyuncle

• GM : 05.09.2024
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2013, 11:11:38 PM »
One of my fears is that some of the fans who remember the bad old days will think that the safe standing move is the start of a return to those.
I hope that all will see that the safe standing area(s) will be for those who simply prefer to stand at games rather than sit and that the only change in behaviour will be a more vociferous, "active" demonstration of support for the team.   

Offline Percy McCarthy

• King City Online
« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2013, 12:23:29 AM »
Good luck and thanks for all your hard work Amfy. Much appreciated.

Offline KevinGage

• GM : 20.09.20
« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2013, 12:38:16 AM »
One of my fears is that some of the fans who remember the bad old days will think that the safe standing move is the start of a return to those.
I hope that all will see that the safe standing area(s) will be for those who simply prefer to stand at games rather than sit and that the only change in behaviour will be a more vociferous, "active" demonstration of support for the team.   

That, and that people who want to sit (the oddballs) can do so without inteference, if there is one specific designated standing area.  That's a crucial benefit that needs to be talked up more.  Should make life far easier for the stewards across the ground  too.  In theory.   

Offline Dave Cooper please

• GM : 20.04.2019
« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2013, 01:52:50 AM »
Amfy, as you know I only go to Villa games when I can get a freebie or if Woodhall drags me into fanzine selling, but I'd be happy to fill in your survey if you could e-mail it to me. PM me if that's possible.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal