collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Villa Park v Britannia - Biggest Difference In PL Pitch Dimensions  (Read 6509 times)

Offline eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
Villa Park v Britannia - Biggest Difference In PL Pitch Dimensions
« on: September 12, 2013, 12:14:07 PM »
Pat Nevin discussing how the vastly differing dimensions of pitches can effect the game with special mention to our own grand manor.
Sorry, it's a video link rather than a textual one. Might be a chore for eyeballs that wander:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/22646131

Offline martyn ellis

• http://www.martin-martyn.co.uk
Re: Villa Park v Britannia - Biggest Difference In PL Pitch Dimensions
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2013, 01:14:05 PM »
Touche Mr Eamonn (sodding accents don't work on this thing).
BUT - have you also noticed that depending on which website you go to, pitch dimensions vary. For example I have seen Villa down as 8280 on one website and 8550 on another. Does this mean they change? I know Stoke had to widen their pitch to play in the Europa League and they have long been known for the narrowness of their pitch - not so sure about the length.

Offline eamonn

« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2013, 01:25:28 PM »
Yeah, I also remember seeing an article not too long back and we were surprisingly quite far down the list in pitch sizes.

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2013, 01:35:23 PM »
I have always thought the home of football was one of the biggest pitches in the country, I didn't realise it was the biggest though.

When they compare the size difference between Stoke and us though, its quite shcoking. I am suprised Loftus Road wasn't the smallest.

Offline ADVILLAFAN

• GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2013, 02:12:28 PM »
In terms of actual ground size, White Hart Lane and Loftus Road are both tiny, but Stoke were obviously the worst pitch size-wise. Cheating bastards trying to play on a postage stamp.

Offline MoetVillan

« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2013, 02:28:36 PM »
Play?  Stoke play?

Offline TheMalandro

• GM : 06.03.2016
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2013, 02:43:26 PM »
I bet that really hurt our inexperienced team last year, especially against the teams that can really ping it about

Offline DeKuip

« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2013, 03:08:51 PM »
All pitch sizes in the Premier League have to exactly the same size now, 105m x 68m, and that's been the case since the start of last season.

Offline Weedy

« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2013, 03:24:16 PM »
All pitch sizes in the Premier League have to exactly the same size now, 105m x 68m, and that's been the case since the start of last season.

True. From the PL handbook:-

"The Pitch
K.15. Unless otherwise permitted by the Board, in League Matches the length of the pitch shall be
105 metres and its breadth 68 metres.

K.16. The Board shall only give permission to a Club for the dimensions of its pitch to be other than
as set out in Rule K.15 if it is impossible for it to comply with Rule K.15 due to the nature of the
construction of its ground.

K.17. For UEFA Club Competitions the pitch must measure 105 metres in length by 68 metres in
breadth exactly. If for technical reasons of a construction related nature it is impossible to
achieve the required dimensions a UEFA Club Licence may nevertheless be granted provided
that the pitch is minimum 100 metres to maximum 105 metres in length by minimum 64
metres to maximum 68 metres in breadth.

K.18. A Club shall register the dimensions of its pitch before the commencement of each Season by
giving written notice thereof in Form 8 to the Secretary.

K.19. The Board may at any time require a Club to obtain and submit to the Secretary a report by
an independent expert certifying its pitch dimensions.

K.20. No Club shall alter the dimensions of its pitch during the Season without the prior written
consent of the Board.

K.21. Each Club shall take all reasonable steps to maintain its pitch in good condition throughout
the Season and the Board may require a Club to take such steps as the Board shall specify if it
is not satisfied that the pitch is being maintained to an adequate standard.

K.22. To take effect from the start of Season 2014/15:
Each Club shall provide and maintain at its registered ground an undersoil heating system
which shall be operated to the extent necessary to procure, so far as is reasonably possible,
that the pitch is playable on the occasion of each home League Match.
"

Offline Mark H

• GM : Jan, 2013
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2013, 04:40:30 PM »
If that is now the standard size - did we have to reduce our pitch size as it does not appear so by a lot when your at the ground ?

Offline martyn ellis

• http://www.martin-martyn.co.uk
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2013, 04:43:39 PM »
I think we'll have to settle this once and for all - so of you see a very sprightly looking 60-something with a very long tape measure on the hallowed turf at about 2.45 on Saturday, you know who it'll be (before the eject me).

Offline eamonn

« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2013, 06:58:20 PM »
I'm surprised Pat Nevin would be so uninformed in his analysis.

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2013, 09:11:08 PM »
Some still look bigger than others to me, especially ours and Old Trafford although that could be down to how high/low the camera positions is and the size of the stands can also play tricks.

Offline ciggiesnbeer

• Location: Mass hysteria for Aston Villa. Some team from the mountains in Russia
  • GM : 23.01.2019
« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2013, 09:12:53 PM »
I think we'll have to settle this once and for all - so of you see a very sprightly looking 60-something with a very long tape measure on the hallowed turf at about 2.45 on Saturday, you know who it'll be (before the eject me).

I will send you five pounds if you do it in the buff.

Offline MarkM

« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2013, 09:04:44 AM »

To get the length of the pitch is easy at VP, we know that the 18 yard line is set, and our groundsman does a great job of cutting the grass into what appears to be equal strips, I think that there are three strips inside the 18 yard line, so all you have to do is count the strips and multiply by 6 [or however many strips in the 18 yard box] and you can then work out the pitch lenght!

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal