collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Mon to manage Republic of Ireland?  (Read 50902 times)

Offline Concrete John

• GM : Mar, 2014
Re: Mon to manage Republic of Ireland?
« Reply #15 on: September 11, 2013, 12:38:28 PM »
Paddy Power go MON 8/11, DOL 20/1 and TSM 33/1. I wonder if they are offering a special on 'any ex Villa manager'? Chris Hughton and Harry Redknapp are a couple of interesting names on there. I'm not sure whether or not they would fancy quitting their current jobs for a crack at it. I'm guessing the possibility of Roy Keane will stir up a bit of debate.

I genuinely think you've got more chance of getting the job yourself!

Offline Legion

• Oh, it must be! And it is! Villa in the lead!
    • Personal Education Services
  • GM : 05.04.2019
« Reply #16 on: September 11, 2013, 12:38:36 PM »
I'd like to see him replace Bagpuss.

Offline Concrete John

« Reply #17 on: September 11, 2013, 12:41:50 PM »
Have Ireland still got the players to qualify anymore for the big tournaments , the days of Keane, McGrath , hughton, townsend, etc seem to be long gone and they look a much weaker squad nowadays.

In my opinion, no they haven't.  Once Keane retires, I think we'll really struggle with what's left. 

Which is why MON is such a good choice as he is able to get a lot out of poor players.

Offline eastie

« Reply #18 on: September 11, 2013, 12:42:44 PM »
I expect the clamour from republic fans would be strongly in favour of martin o Neill - would imagine the job will be his if he wants it , I can't see him getting a decent premier job again so this might be his way to erase the sunderland debacle.

Offline danlanza

« Reply #19 on: September 11, 2013, 12:46:27 PM »
Ii think he would relish the chance.

Offline supertom

« Reply #20 on: September 11, 2013, 12:49:35 PM »
I think he'd do well to be honest. Things didn't pan out too well at Sunderland, and you'd say that, Norwich aside, it was his first real managerial failure. That said, in early days O Neill always tends to have a rough patch. When he started with us we went unbeaten, then we went 2-3 months without a win, before finishing strongly. At Sunderland in the end he probably would have turned it around and they'd be a fairly average mid-table side. Now they have the nutjob PDC in charge who could be brilliant, or could be fucking woeful. You just don't know. Personally I think one of them and Newcastle, whoever is the more erratic, will go down.

For Ireland hes stuck with what's at his disposal. He can do what his forte has been, and that is man manage and get that extra 10% out of mediocre players. He'll play to their strengths, which is the physical players and 2-3 players who have a turn of pace. Its also not a day to day, full on job like in the Prem. One thing that struck me with Sunderland, is that O Neill didn't seem to put his all in. Not like when he first joined us. His mind seemed elsewhere. He didn't have that drive and fight he had when he first came to us. I've never seen him quite as subdued and defeatist.

The side definitely needs that instant energy you get from O Neill. He generally starts well.

To be perfectly honest with O Neill helming the Irish side, they wouldn't be all that far off the England side. But that pretty much sums up the state of the England team at the moment.

Offline Clampy

• GM : PCM
« Reply #21 on: September 11, 2013, 12:51:20 PM »
I reckon it'll be Brian Mcdermott who gets it next.

Offline Damo70

« Reply #22 on: September 11, 2013, 12:55:08 PM »
Our current manger is 66/1 for the job. The same odds as Houllier.

Offline eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #23 on: September 11, 2013, 01:16:48 PM »
Not overly keen on the idea. Having to cheer on a team led by a man who shat from a height on my club would take a bit of getting used to.

Also, I'm not sure how much different his approach would be to Trappattoni's. Be reasonably hard to score against (though ultimately susceptible when a top team is on-form), have a big man up-front to hoof it to when necesary (Jonathan Walters, a poor man's Carew. Little Shane Long, who has an incredible leap on him, has shamefully enough, been reduced to this role recently) and erratic wingers (McLean, McGeadie) - it's all set-up for more of the same.

If 'arry was out of work I'd go for him, ditto Chris Hughton.

Offline eastie

« Reply #24 on: September 11, 2013, 01:18:03 PM »
I saw one report that mon might not take the job because of John robertsons heart attack but robbo didnt go to sunderland with him and he took that job .

Offline Concrete John

« Reply #25 on: September 11, 2013, 02:11:24 PM »
Also, I'm not sure how much different his approach would be to Trappattoni's. Be reasonably hard to score against (though ultimately susceptible when a top team is on-form), have a big man up-front to hoof it to when necesary (Jonathan Walters, a poor man's Carew. Little Shane Long, who has an incredible leap on him, has shamefully enough, been reduced to this role recently) and erratic wingers (McLean, McGeadie) - it's all set-up for more of the same.

For me Trappattoni is overly defensive, not much unlike TSM.

MON, for all his faults, wanted his teams to attack.  This was counter attacking when away and running out of ideas against decent sides at home, but the intent was always there.

It would be similar in so far as he would be limited to the same players, but style wise it would be more exciting than Trapp's Ireland, IMO. 

Offline villasjf

• GM : Sep, 10
« Reply #26 on: September 11, 2013, 02:14:00 PM »
I cant believe the press still love him so much he is a busted flush.

Offline eastie

« Reply #27 on: September 11, 2013, 02:14:07 PM »

For me Trappattoni is overly defensive, not much unlike TSM.

MON, for all his faults, wanted his teams to attack.  This was counter attacking when away and running out of ideas against decent sides at home, but the intent was always there.

It would be similar in so far as he would be limited to the same players, but style wise it would be more exciting than Trapp's Ireland, IMO. 

Didnt mon get McLean flying after giving him his chance , he would do ok but as concrete says without the top players you can only get so far .

Offline not3bad

• GM : 15.06.2022
« Reply #28 on: September 11, 2013, 03:19:26 PM »
I saw one report that mon might not take the job because of John robertsons heart attack but robbo didnt go to sunderland with him and he took that job .

It's also been said that one of the reasons it went so wrong so quickly for MON at Sunderland was because Roberston wasn't with him.

Offline Phil from the upper holte

« Reply #29 on: September 11, 2013, 03:32:48 PM »
Well, dithering in the transfer market won't be a problem, wages won't be a problem, playing the same 11 and sticking with it won't be a problem so he can concentrate on tactics which might be a problem.

I think it's a job that would suit him down to the ground.  He would be immediately accepted.  It's also the only decent fairly high profile job that he'd be offered now.

Best laugh of the day

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal