collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Juan Pablo Addition  (Read 18012 times)

Offline pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
Re: Juan Pablo Addition
« Reply #75 on: September 09, 2013, 01:06:10 PM »
Well if you accused me of being racist then yes, I would get very annoyed, but I don't see the relevance here.

I have an opinion that Angel got cut a lot of slack from the fans because he was seen as "our signing" because we did the whole £ sign thing etc. You don't.
 I also think Gabby got far less stick than he might have got during his rather barren spell than he might have had if he hadn't been a local lad done good. Again, you don't.

Do you not think that some people might be swayed by such things? I know you aren't, you have made that very obvious, but I know for a fact that there are Villa fans who would love the likes of Grealish or Gardner to make it as Villa players because they are home grown, and if these players do get into the first team I will definitely forgive them a few bad games, certainly a few more than some bloke we might sign from Belgium (I remember Benteke getting pelters on the first couple of match threads after he signed).

I think it's probably best to take people's opinions at face value rather than undermining them by assuming they are swayed by other, rather silly, considerations.

Isn't suggesting that "some" people are swayed by this or that, whatever, a different thing entirely to "assuming" people are, though?

Semantics. Okay then. I think it's probably best to take people's opinions at face value rather than undermining them by suggesting they are swayed by other, rather silly, considerations.

Well, semantics are surely quite important in this case? In terms of what you're accusing him of, there's a big difference, and if he'd actually assumed people liked Angel for that reason, I'd be on your side.

I just don't see it as meaning that.

"I think some people rate Gabby higher because he's a local lad" v "People rate him because he's a local lad".

I'd agree with the first, but not the second, as it's saying something totally different, surely?

Oh, I dunno.

Offline Dave Cooper please

• GM : 20.04.2019
« Reply #76 on: September 09, 2013, 01:47:22 PM »
I bowed out of this last night before it got silly.
I'm still not entirely sure what I'm being accused of here, at no time have I said that anyone is definitely swayed by the local lad issue or the fact that Angel was possibly bought as a direct result of supporter action, just that I think that some people were.
I know for a fact that I have tended to support Gabby through his barren spells more than I would another player because he is local lad we bought through the youth system, maybe I'm unique in that but I doubt it.

Offline eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #77 on: September 09, 2013, 05:08:57 PM »
Another thing that annoyed me about Angel was that he choose his one good season to be at the same time Crouch had started to look like a proper player, and as soon as we sold him he reverted to type.

Again, to be fair there were two good seasons. 01/02 - 12 league goals and 4 in the cup and 03/04 - 16+7.

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #78 on: September 09, 2013, 05:12:34 PM »
As a person he seems a real nice bloke. But I can still never see past the 1 in 4 league ratio which is crap for a record singing striker in his prime years.

Offline cheltenhamlion

« Reply #79 on: September 09, 2013, 06:33:36 PM »
I can't see past Percy's bollocks attack on Cooper. Unnecessary and unwelcome.

Offline eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #80 on: September 09, 2013, 06:47:50 PM »
As a person he seems a real nice bloke. But I can still never see past the 1 in 4 league ratio which is crap for a record singing striker in his prime years.

As with all strikers goals per minute is a much fairer yardstick due to sub appearances/being substituted skewing figures.
Gabby's record isn't probably all that better yet I think we're all agree he's a brilliant, boyband-pwning badass.

Offline Percy McCarthy

• King City Online
« Reply #81 on: September 09, 2013, 07:28:04 PM »
I can't see past Percy's bollocks attack on Cooper. Unnecessary and unwelcome.

I felt my views on JPA's ability as a footballer were being misrepresented and dismissed as based on some sentimental guff about him being the fans' signing. Dave and I discussed it, but it became drawn out because he didn't get my point. Although strangely he seemed to understand okay when I  asked him how he'd feel if his views on Gabby were misrepresented and dismissed as based on racism.

If you consider that an 'attack' you should get out more.

« Reply #82 on: September 10, 2013, 10:08:26 AM »
But at no point did I say that you personally held those views, just that I believe some Villa fans did and probably still do.
I don't know why you decided this was some sort of personal attack on your views on Angel and Gabby, it wasn't and I can't see where you would infer that it was unless you think every comment that you disagree with is aimed at you?

Offline Percy McCarthy

• King City Online
« Reply #83 on: September 10, 2013, 10:49:59 AM »
Fair enough Dave, it's just these views read like blanket generalisations sometimes.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2013, 10:52:41 AM by Percy McCarthy »

« Reply #84 on: September 10, 2013, 12:51:49 PM »
Fair enough Dave, it's just these views read like blanket generalisations sometimes.

I try not to do that, but if it came across wrong then sorry.
 *virtual handshake*

Offline Percy McCarthy

• King City Online
« Reply #85 on: September 10, 2013, 12:56:33 PM »

I try not to do that, but if it came across wrong then sorry.
 *virtual handshake*

Reciprocated of course.

Online tomd2103

« Reply #86 on: September 10, 2013, 01:04:52 PM »
Another thing that annoyed me about Angel was that he choose his one good season to be at the same time Crouch had started to look like a proper player, and as soon as we sold him he reverted to type.

Again, to be fair there were two good seasons. 01/02 - 12 league goals and 4 in the cup and 03/04 - 16+7.

I'd agree with that.  Looked a quality player at times during those two seasons.  Unfortunately he couldn't produce that kind of performance at other times.

Online Meanwood Villa

• GM : PCM
« Reply #87 on: September 10, 2013, 01:38:10 PM »
I think he was shit and anyone who doesn't is a big jessie

Offline LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #88 on: September 10, 2013, 02:06:55 PM »
I think he was shit and anyone who doesn't is a big jessie

It's hard to argue with this.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal