collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Press-ing the right buttons  (Read 4206 times)

Offline Louzie0

• UTV: I’m retired, hurrah!
  • GM : 04.03.2025
Re: Press-ing the right buttons
« Reply #15 on: September 03, 2013, 07:48:40 PM »
Good article as always. I remember an article/interview in one of the broadsheets when we first signed Ireland, he was lambasting the youngsters at Man City for thinking they've made it before they've achieved anything, spending money on big watches and solid gold houses etc... I really thought he was a changed man and we would have a new, mature Stephen Ireland on our team. Turns our it was a whole load of hot air.

I remember that.  I also remember in the same article him having a pop at Man City for not getting enough chances to play.  Saying something like "I was POS and then couldn't get a look in and nobody told me why."  I have a horrible feeling we'll get something similar shortly about his time at Villa.   

I just get angry that the people within the game couldn't see what many of us bystanders could, that Ireland would not be a good aquisition.
And it goes on, with Stoke the latest to try their hand.
I did wonder how much his move was perceived by him being a 'makeweight' for Milner going the other way at the time, particularly as the manager who apparently wanted him then left before /during the ink drying on the deal.
However, he was welcomed (and certainly paid) at a level that should have convinced him that he was valued and I find it simply unbelievable that he ended up unwanted at the club through his own behaviour on the pitch, given his talent and evident ability.

Excellent article Dave, agree about BB being different and I hope he does great things at CP.
Not too great against us, though.

Offline rob_bridge

« Reply #16 on: September 03, 2013, 09:38:15 PM »
Did anyone want Ireland at the club? As in who actually signed him and who wanted him? MON had gone and Milner wanted out. Houllier had not been hired IIRC and he certainly hadn't started work so how come he ended up at Villa?

Offline frankmosswasmyuncle

• GM : 05.09.2024
« Reply #17 on: September 03, 2013, 09:51:10 PM »
Great article again Dave - as usual!
"I’d like to say good luck but I wouldn’t mean it." sums it up for most of us perfectly I think.

Posted elsewhere that he's happy to link up with Hughes again because " he knows how to get the best out of me".
How about earning your massive wage by making a bit of effort Stephen rather relying on someone else to get the best out of you? (Also an intro to a soon to be released deluge of how he's been overlooked at VP)
Can't see him being a regular anywhere to be honest.

Online dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #18 on: September 03, 2013, 09:54:13 PM »
Great article again Dave - as usual!
"I’d like to say good luck but I wouldn’t mean it." sums it up for most of us perfectly I think.

Posted elsewhere that he's happy to link up with Hughes again because " he knows how to get the best out of me".
How about earning your massive wage by making a bit of effort Stephen rather relying on someone else to get the best out of you? (Also an intro to a soon to be released deluge of how he's been overlooked at VP)
Can't see him being a regular anywhere to be honest.

He's got a reputation, though, and there'll always be someone who reckons they can get the best out of him.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal