collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Posts

Re: New Shirt Sponsor by Somniloquism
[Today at 07:10:10 PM]

Re: New Shirt Sponsor by Si
[Today at 07:09:29 PM]

Re: NSWE Investment by Chris Harte
[Today at 07:05:47 PM]

Re: Summer 2024 Transfer Window - hopes, speculation, rumours etc. by Sexual Ealing
[Today at 07:03:59 PM]

Re: NSWE Investment by Beard82
[Today at 07:02:25 PM]

Re: New Shirt Sponsor by Bad English
[Today at 07:01:52 PM]

Re: NSWE Investment by The Edge
[Today at 07:00:06 PM]

Re: Aston Villa vs Chelsea pre-match thread by Sexual Ealing
[Today at 06:55:50 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Press-ing the right buttons  (Read 4205 times)

Offline dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.

Offline German James

• The Limpets
  • GM : 13.02.2025
Re: Press-ing the right buttons
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2013, 11:57:16 AM »
Good article, Dave. Stephen Ireland summed up.

Offline eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2013, 12:26:37 PM »
Yes, agreed with everything except the World Cup qualifiers being pointless.

Offline tom jennings III

• GM : 30.04.2015
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2013, 12:46:05 PM »
Good article as always. I remember an article/interview in one of the broadsheets when we first signed Ireland, he was lambasting the youngsters at Man City for thinking they've made it before they've achieved anything, spending money on big watches and solid gold houses etc... I really thought he was a changed man and we would have a new, mature Stephen Ireland on our team. Turns our it was a whole load of hot air.

Offline rob_bridge

« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2013, 01:45:03 PM »
God what a complete waster Ireland is and it just summed up where the club was in 2010 amidst a steep underlying decline which now seems to have been reversed since February this year. Ireland has not been part of the recovery.

Bannan needs to knuckle down and apply hiself  though he has missed a really huge opportunity at Villa.

Offline Diablo

« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2013, 02:00:25 PM »
Ireland leaves me with a sense of sadness - what a shame, great waste of talent and a great waste of a great opportunity. He could (and should) of had a ball at Villa Park. I'm more optimistic about Wee Barry Bannan. I do think he'll find his level and apply himself. I think they're both players that need an arm around them, I think Holloway and Hughes will do that (if Hughes manages to sort Ireland out and get him performing as he once did it will be nothing short of miraculous and Hughes will leap up in my estimation as a manager x5).

Nice article Dave I always look forward to them. Good to see your technical difficulties (after that small blip) have been sorted out and normal service has been resumed.

Offline garyshawsknee

• GM : 03.06.2020
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2013, 03:01:04 PM »
Spot on Dave. Unfortunately I caught a minute of SSN last night, with some gormless dimwit proudly boasting that this summers window has seen more money spent than the last, shame they dont show that much enthusiasm on the lack of English players playing in the so called best league in the world. ..fcukers.

Offline Concrete John

• GM : Mar, 2014
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2013, 03:18:47 PM »
Good article as always. I remember an article/interview in one of the broadsheets when we first signed Ireland, he was lambasting the youngsters at Man City for thinking they've made it before they've achieved anything, spending money on big watches and solid gold houses etc... I really thought he was a changed man and we would have a new, mature Stephen Ireland on our team. Turns our it was a whole load of hot air.

I remember that.  I also remember in the same article him having a pop at Man City for not getting enough chances to play.  Saying something like "I was POS and then couldn't get a look in and nobody told me why."  I have a horrible feeling we'll get something similar shortly about his time at Villa.   

Online Nev

• GM : 03.02.2022
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2013, 03:24:27 PM »

I remember that.  I also remember in the same article him having a pop at Man City for not getting enough chances to play.  Saying something like "I was POS and then couldn't get a look in and nobody told me why."  I have a horrible feeling we'll get something similar shortly about his time at Villa.   

I just get angry that the people within the game couldn't see what many of us bystanders could, that Ireland would not be a good aquisition.
And it goes on, with Stoke the latest to try their hand.

Offline dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2013, 03:31:07 PM »
I think that one major difference between the two of them is that while Bannan earns enough to throw around it'll be a few years before he's got enough to retire in comfort. Ireland, on the other hand, is already rich enough to never have to work again and knows that even if he doesn't sign permanently for Stoke this time next year someone will take him on at a sufficiently high wage to top up his pension.

Offline SO Villa

« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2013, 03:44:25 PM »
I agree with everything that's been said about Ireland's pathetic efforts but I've never seen any evidence that there's a hugely gifted footballer there. I just don't see it at all. What are these outstanding attributes that people mention?

Online not3bad

• GM : 15.06.2022
« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2013, 04:09:02 PM »
I agree with everything that's been said about Ireland's pathetic efforts but I've never seen any evidence that there's a hugely gifted footballer there. I just don't see it at all. What are these outstanding attributes that people mention?

Well, when I saw him play in his (probably only) good season at Manchester City he did appear to be an outstanding creative midfielder.  He just stood out out as a talent.

Offline darren woolley

• GM : 12.12.2024
« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2013, 06:03:00 PM »
Another good article Dave.

Offline eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2013, 06:14:50 PM »

Technically adept. Very comfortable in possession, one-touch passing, taking up dangerous positions between midfield and attack, decent shot. On-form he would have been our key player. A real shame that he pissed his chance up the wall.

Offline ciggiesnbeer

• Location: Mass hysteria for Aston Villa. Some team from the mountains in Russia
  • GM : 23.01.2019
« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2013, 06:43:33 PM »
Good article. Ireland could of been an incredible footballer (some of his interceptions were just fabulous), but something just never clicked. Shame for him and us.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal