collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Posts

Re: FA Cup replays scrapped by ChicagoLion
[Today at 09:03:36 AM]

Re: FA Cup replays scrapped by Lastfootstamper
[Today at 08:59:44 AM]

Re: FA Cup replays scrapped by Clampy
[Today at 08:56:11 AM]

Re: Championship Memories by Lastfootstamper
[Today at 08:54:07 AM]

Re: FA Cup replays scrapped by manic-road
[Today at 08:47:07 AM]

Re: Championship Memories by Clark W Griswold
[Today at 08:29:45 AM]

Re: NSWE Investment by Chris Smith
[Today at 08:28:13 AM]

Re: Championship Memories by N'ZMAV
[Today at 08:20:02 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: So what have we learnt from this transfer window?  (Read 16634 times)

Offline Matt Collins

Re: So what have we learnt from this transfer window?
« Reply #15 on: September 03, 2013, 06:58:57 AM »
Good summary.

Agree on Gardner. Set pieces and a great strike apart, he looks very slow indeed and gives the ball away.

But worth remembering the difference between Delph now and even 12 months ago. He's added so much zest to his game. So we need to give Gardner plenty of time to recover from two very serious injuries.

I'd put him out on loan, but I'm not sure we've the cover really? Only bacuna to come into the middle if we want to maintain the current formation.

Offline Mister E

• GM : 16.02.2025
« Reply #16 on: September 03, 2013, 07:53:14 AM »
Good summary.

Agree on Gardner. Set pieces and a great strike apart, he looks very slow indeed and gives the ball away.

But worth remembering the difference between Delph now and even 12 months ago. He's added so much zest to his game. So we need to give Gardner plenty of time to recover from two very serious injuries.

I'd put him out on loan, but I'm not sure we've the cover really? Only bacuna to come into the middle if we want to maintain the current formation.
In the middle - Westie, Sylla, Delph, KEA, Bacuna. Also add in Charles and Grealish. It's tight, but I'd agree that GG foing out on loan for a few months (with a call-back clause) would make sense; as long as it's to a decent Championship side.

As regards the OT, it's too early to say for sure what we have - each of the acquisitions seems to have something a little different to add to the existing core of players. How they will kick on remains to be seen.
The two surprise packages will be Bacuna and Helenius, IMHO.

Offline Ron Manager

• GM : 03.04.2016
« Reply #17 on: September 03, 2013, 08:17:18 AM »
What we could do with is Charles N'Zogbia playing consistently well when he has recovered. He is quite capable of playing to the level that Delph has attained and that would be a major plus if we are to do anything this season. Gary Gardner may or may not make progress this season. I havent seen a lot so far to suggest he will forfil his obvious talent.

Offline rob_bridge

« Reply #18 on: September 03, 2013, 08:56:31 AM »
Ireland has gone - that is worth a great deal. Lots of other deadwood has been cleared out.

I'm am reasonably optimistic about all of the new boys making a positive contribution and assuming they have the right attitude will be given opportunities.

Offline Jarpie

« Reply #19 on: September 03, 2013, 09:07:59 AM »
We learned again that so-called "ITKs" and media doesn't have a fecking sniff on our transfers; Lambert said that we've been trying to sign Kozak for past couple months and we found about it on sunday night. Kept it very well under the radar.

I'm a bit surprised that we didn't sign any players from lower divisions this time, probably the prices weren't right. Transfer windows under Lambert are much more exciting than in many other teams as we have that "Ooh, can't wait to see how good they are!"-factor, rather than many teams buying known quantities.

Online Clampy

• GM : PCM
« Reply #20 on: September 03, 2013, 09:11:00 AM »
The gravitas of SSN showing Big Ben chime 11.00pm almost had me in tears - of laughter.

Oh dear, i'm very glad I stayed clear of it.

Offline supertom

« Reply #21 on: September 03, 2013, 09:18:34 AM »
What we have now is pretty much Lamberts squad. He's gone about this quickly and efficiently in 3 windows. We've not outlayed much at all. He's already outdone Martin O Neill's level of signings in the space of a year. Our midfielders look like good players. We've unearthed a world class center forward. Benteke could destroy any defence he felt like.

Re-signing and putting faith in Guzan has paid off dividends.

Most of our previous managers in windows left us well short in certain areas. We'd be crying out for 1-2 good players. It was like that horrendous wait under O Neill for a right back. Then he signed Luke Young, and played him half the time at left back.

What Lambert appears to have done is have two solid players for every position. We've got depth in our squad. How quality some of these players are remain to be seen. We're definitely not short of striking options. Striking options are something we've been perennially thin on since O Neill took over really.

We've also done what they probably should have done at Chelsea. Certain senior figures, possibly with a negative sense of status among the squad, have been bombed out. Out with the old, like Dunne and Collins (who's off field influence was more than questionable) and now Ireland. AVB seemed to have that plan for Chelsea. Rebuild a younger, fresher side. Slowly put the Terry and Lampard clique out to pasture. Build a squad all on a level hierachy, all together and cohesive. That's what we appear to have done.

Many of the other clubs around us have taken a few wild last day punts. Whether they work, or whether they are a bit desperate remains to be seen. Doing our business early was great.

Inward transfers- 8
Outward transfers- 8

Offline supertom

« Reply #22 on: September 03, 2013, 09:21:28 AM »
We learned again that so-called "ITKs" and media doesn't have a fecking sniff on our transfers; Lambert said that we've been trying to sign Kozak for past couple months and we found about it on sunday night. Kept it very well under the radar.

I'm a bit surprised that we didn't sign any players from lower divisions this time, probably the prices weren't right. Transfer windows under Lambert are much more exciting than in many other teams as we have that "Ooh, can't wait to see how good they are!"-factor, rather than many teams buying known quantities.
I think that's a symptom of the success of Lowton and Westwood. Teams are adding a few mill to the fees if they see us sniffing around now. I mean for two windows we were linked with Cresswell at Ipswich. Some papers quoted up to 6 million (normally between 3-6) for what they wanted. How interested we really were is another matter, but we've signed Luna from abroad very cheap and he looks the business. Bennett showed enough toward the tail end of last season to suggest he'll be a good back up.

Offline Monty

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #23 on: September 03, 2013, 09:29:10 AM »
We've learnt that, with Okore, Lambert has found another one.

I also think that, with Kozak, we've seen his weakness for overrating big men come to the fore again, but time will tell. Even if he is a failure, well, every manager has them.

Online LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #24 on: September 03, 2013, 09:36:31 AM »

I also think that, with Kozak, we've seen his weakness for overrating big men come to the fore again, but time will tell. Even if he is a failure, well, every manager has them.

I think, with Kozak, we'll see the manager bring the best out of the player because of the system we play.

Offline Monty

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #25 on: September 03, 2013, 09:41:02 AM »

I think, with Kozak, we'll see the manager bring the best out of the player because of the system we play.

Christ I hope not. We already have far too much of a tendency to lump it forward, and we only get away with it because Benteke's a genius. No, we play very well through the midfield, and with an inferior player there to Benteke we'd never get the ball to them.

Offline onje_villa

• GM : Jan, 2013
« Reply #26 on: September 03, 2013, 09:43:28 AM »
Really good sensible progression which is what excites me about Lambert. He said something along the lines of "we've improved the squad and we'll continue to improve it". It says to me that he still knows we need more quality but by making sensible additions at the right pace, we will grow at the right pace. The playmaker wasn't right this time around but it'll happen when the time's right.

I am absolutely convinced Lambert has big plans for the future. Although results and performances haven't yet been great, all the groundwork is being laid for a "bright future".

Oh and Okore is class.

Offline fredm

• GM : 02.09.2024
« Reply #27 on: September 03, 2013, 09:56:44 AM »
I'm not sure the playmaker wasn't right this time around.  It may well be that PL has identified who he wants but was unable, for whatever reason, to bring him in. So instead of splashing money on someone who was second choice he maybe prefers to wait a little longer and nab the one he really wants.

But with PL, who the hell knows??

Offline Jarpie

« Reply #28 on: September 03, 2013, 10:14:59 AM »

I think that's a symptom of the success of Lowton and Westwood. Teams are adding a few mill to the fees if they see us sniffing around now. I mean for two windows we were linked with Cresswell at Ipswich. Some papers quoted up to 6 million (normally between 3-6) for what they wanted. How interested we really were is another matter, but we've signed Luna from abroad very cheap and he looks the business. Bennett showed enough toward the tail end of last season to suggest he'll be a good back up.

Oh definitely, hopefully in january or next summer the prices will be more reasonable, I feel that there'd be a lot of potential in young english footballers but either they aren't given chances or they're gonna get immensively hyped up and put under a lot of pressure. It seems that Lambert . My friend who knows spanish and portuguese football told me that Luna was considered as very promising left back two-three years ago but hadn't claimed on that, hopefully he reaches that potential at Villa.

Offline Jim Shoes

« Reply #29 on: September 03, 2013, 11:02:43 AM »
Time will tell, I really like PL but home games this season could be as bad as the last 3 seasons as teams will sit back like Liverpool in the 2nd half. Can this team control possession and create? not on the evidence so far.

Second observation, have we brought too many cheap imports that may block our youngsters development?

I'm looking forward to seeing how this all works out and hoping that PL has got it right.

We go again!

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal