collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Follow us on...

Author Topic: What makes you proud to support the Villa?  (Read 12224 times)

Offline Legion

• Oh, it must be! And it is! Villa in the lead!
    • Personal Education Services
  • GM : 05.04.2019
Re: What makes you proud to support the Villa?
« Reply #75 on: September 05, 2013, 06:18:32 PM »
That is a thing of beauty.

Offline jwarry

« Reply #76 on: September 05, 2013, 07:42:52 PM »
Born in Winson Green, brought up in Great Barr, dragged to VP at age of six with Grandad and Dad (1965) and made to carry my own box to stand on so I could see. That was it. It's in my blood and I can't stop thinking about the Villa everyday since.  Life's troubles, moves round the country, can't get to the hallowed ground anymore, living in the south working in London, but still I wake up every morning and the first thing I check is whats happened down VP, then see if there is a problem in Syria.  To me its not a question of pride, I automatically feel I'm involved (note involved not supporter) with the greatest club on earth.

Offline Legion

• Oh, it must be! And it is! Villa in the lead!
    • Personal Education Services
  • GM : 05.04.2019
« Reply #77 on: September 05, 2013, 07:47:29 PM »
You're still a supporter.

Offline silhillvilla

• GM : Dec, 2014
« Reply #78 on: September 05, 2013, 07:50:53 PM »
Drove home tonight southbound down the M6, around jct 6, to look right and see Villa Park, the church spire and Aston hall bathed in autumnal sunlight was absolutely stunning. Sent a shiver down my spine .

Online Smirker

• GM : Sep, 2014
« Reply #79 on: September 05, 2013, 07:57:49 PM »
We're a very important part of the history of the English game, and the history of the English game is the history of world football.

Chelsea may have huge amounts of money, millions of new fans in Asia, and more recent silverware, but they will never have what we have.

I also like the fact that, increasingly, though there is a lot more to do still, when I go to matches, I see more of a reflection of the city - more people who are not white blokes. Loads of ground to be made up, and I know this sounds wishy washy, but when I see groups of Asian lads at our matches, it makes me happy that maybe we're one of the clubs who are starting to show a proper representation of what makes this city, and this country, great - the fact we're a gigantic melting pot of cultures and races.

What I'd really like is if one day, you could go, say, the bull ring, stand outside and spend half an hour watching and listening to the people who walk past, all sorts of nationalities, skin colours, languages, and then go to Villa Park and see something really close to the same mix.

Class post mate. 8)

Online pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #80 on: September 05, 2013, 10:52:02 PM »
Drove home tonight southbound down the M6, around jct 6, to look right and see Villa Park, the church spire and Aston hall bathed in autumnal sunlight was absolutely stunning. Sent a shiver down my spine .

Until last year, I drove into Brum city centre for work every day, and would go down the Expressway, and every single time, I'd have to look at the ground.

Whenever I drive into town with Mrs Walnuts at the weekend, I have to do it, but as I know she is watching me, just waiting for my to look so she can have a go at me, I make a point of doing it really exaggeratedly.

it makes me laugh. And her, though she won't admit it.

Offline Jarpie

« Reply #81 on: September 05, 2013, 11:23:28 PM »
Hiring Simone Farina after he'd basicly become unemployable and probably pretty much pariah in Italy.

Offline dave shelley

• GM : 01.02.2025
« Reply #82 on: September 06, 2013, 11:55:05 AM »
Every time I fly home I try to get a window seat on the right hand side of the plane coming in, and the left hand side going out.  This, so if the plane takes off heading over the city centre flight path then, you get a great arial view of Villa Park.  This always fills me with pride and nostalgia.

Offline Small Rodent

• GM : 30.11.2024
« Reply #83 on: September 06, 2013, 12:21:02 PM »
The refusal to do the Nazi salute, in a time of immense pressure from the establishment, is as important as any trophy we've won as far as I'm concerned.

Online oldtimernow

• GM : 18.09.2024
« Reply #84 on: September 06, 2013, 07:35:09 PM »
Where to begin? Maybe with our Wesleyan roots that have perhaps instilled in us our innate decency as a club, an uncanny ability to do 'the right thing, a quality that endures to this day.

The characters in our story; George Ramsay - the greatest Villa club man of all time - no mean feat when one considers his rivals for that honour. Player, captain, revolutionary coach, secretary, manager and director. 59 (I think) years unbroken service during which he turned us from a bunch of enthusiastic amateurs into the most powerful professional sporting organisation in the world.

William MacGregor, who's vision made us the most historically significant club in the game. The wonderful statue which is such a fitting tribute.

Fred Rinder, another visionary who's influence we still enjoy everytime we visit our Paradise.

The roll-call of our internationals - a list that is longer than any other club for our home country.

Hundreds (thousands?) of other, perhaps less celebrated, players, and their fascinating stories.

Our protest against fascism in its epicentre in 1938. The recognition of our work towards harmony and inclusion in the present day.

The Acorns sponsorship and on-going partnership. Where we led others have followed.

Our supporters and the way we rallied round when the club was at its lowest ebb to not only ensure its survival, but drive it on to its greatest success.

The current team and management - their way of doing things is a beacon of sanity and decency in today's insane and obscene money-obsessed game.

We're just class.

Spot on Percy, brings a lump to the throat

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal