collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: What makes you proud to support the Villa?  (Read 12215 times)

Online ChicagoLion

• Literally
Re: What makes you proud to support the Villa?
« Reply #30 on: August 31, 2013, 06:39:10 PM »
Its a part of who I am and you know that ever one else that knows anything about Association Football secretly wishes that they had chosen The Villa

Offline Ron Manager

• GM : 03.04.2016
« Reply #31 on: August 31, 2013, 07:02:24 PM »
Because my dad did.

Offline flybo

• GM : Jan, 2013
« Reply #32 on: August 31, 2013, 07:19:46 PM »
I think Villa Park is a stunning place. For me, Villa Park is Aston Villa. It is just steeped in the history of the club and the redevelopment of the modern ground has been reasonably (Trinity facade aside) respectful to the history of the ground.

Aston Villa is just a great club with a magnificent history, beautiful colours, unique name and one of the best stadiums in world football. Aston Villa FC = class.

I agree, the stadium really is fantastic and this isn't bias as loads of fans of other teams say the same to me. Posted it the other day but worth posting again:

this

Offline Weedy

« Reply #33 on: August 31, 2013, 08:25:17 PM »
It was decreed by my mother that my sister and i would be Villa fans, even before we were born,
so there was no choice in that regard.
Nothing has made me want to swtch my allegiance in the 50 intervening years, not even the dark days.

The good times are obvious, but it makes me proud that the club, whoever is, or was, in charge,
has always tried to do the right thing for the right reasons.

Online Tayls_7

• GM : 13.09.2024
« Reply #34 on: August 31, 2013, 08:40:56 PM »
I have been Villa all my life. My mother's side of the family are all Blues. My dad who is from Belfast started courting my mom when he was in the navy during the 50's. A happy convenience was that his sister was courting a man from Stratford who was a big Villa fan and my dad fell in love with their trips to VP. I have seen a number of clubs have their 15 minutes of fame. Kids running through the streets of Telford wearing Liverpool, Chelsea, United and even Blackburn strips. We have never been devalued in that way and yet you sense that despite our proud history there will be another period in the near future when we will rise to the top again. Nobody can prevent it forever. We support Aston Villa, one of the World's biggest clubs. That's what makes me proud; the past, present and future.

Offline gervilla

« Reply #35 on: August 31, 2013, 08:47:05 PM »
Because my dad did.

That will be my sons answer.

Offline steffo

« Reply #36 on: August 31, 2013, 09:12:55 PM »
Was in Dublin for the Shamrock Rovers game. Met up with some realtives, Everton, Liverpool, Leeds etc supporters all of them have been to Villa Park. They vere all suprised how big and spacious it is and how we are a big club.

We really don't know how lucky we are!

Offline Top Cat

• GM : 03.02.2023
« Reply #37 on: August 31, 2013, 09:45:25 PM »

Offline ciggiesnbeer

• Location: Mass hysteria for Aston Villa. Some team from the mountains in Russia
  • GM : 23.01.2019
« Reply #38 on: August 31, 2013, 09:48:26 PM »
The away support.

Online dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #39 on: August 31, 2013, 09:54:51 PM »
"The door to the lavishly appointed guest room....." etc.

Come on Frank, do the honours.

The door to the lavishly appointed Guest Room at Villa Park was open and out in the corridor the little boys, dodging the commissionaire, were calling for Brian Little and John Gidman. Quite rightly, they took no notice of myself and the elderly bald-headed man, bespectacled, stooping a little, who was quietly finishing his tea. He looked over at them for a moment, a whimsical look, and moved to the long window overlooking the now deserted playing pitch.

"Every time you come here it must bring back memories Pongo," I said. He stared out for a long while. I thought he'd forgotten I was there. "Aye", he said suddenly "aye, they're a great club...the greatest." I stood and looked with him, this old man whose goals had set the Villa crowds roaring so long ago. It was not quite dusk on that March afternoon and I saw them too...they were out again, the old ghosts...Jack Hughes, scorer just about one hundred years earlier of Aston Villa's first goal (perhaps to the very day)...George Ramsay...the Hunter brothers...Willie McGregor...Denny Hodgetts...legion upon legion of them on parade now, filling the field with claret and blue...the century with pride.

Offline spk

« Reply #40 on: August 31, 2013, 10:02:11 PM »
The away support.
We are bloody good arnt we ?

Offline ciggiesnbeer

• Location: Mass hysteria for Aston Villa. Some team from the mountains in Russia
  • GM : 23.01.2019

Online eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #42 on: September 01, 2013, 03:46:35 AM »
Is that quote from the Children of the Revolution?

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #43 on: September 01, 2013, 03:56:28 AM »
The Peter Morris book iirc.

Offline Percy McCarthy

• King City Online
« Reply #44 on: September 01, 2013, 10:31:12 AM »
Where to begin? Maybe with our Wesleyan roots that have perhaps instilled in us our innate decency as a club, an uncanny ability to do 'the right thing, a quality that endures to this day.

The characters in our story; George Ramsay - the greatest Villa club man of all time - no mean feat when one considers his rivals for that honour. Player, captain, revolutionary coach, secretary, manager and director. 59 (I think) years unbroken service during which he turned us from a bunch of enthusiastic amateurs into the most powerful professional sporting organisation in the world.

William MacGregor, who's vision made us the most historically significant club in the game. The wonderful statue which is such a fitting tribute.

Fred Rinder, another visionary who's influence we still enjoy everytime we visit our Paradise.

The roll-call of our internationals - a list that is longer than any other club for our home country.

Hundreds (thousands?) of other, perhaps less celebrated, players, and their fascinating stories.

Our protest against fascism in its epicentre in 1938. The recognition of our work towards harmony and inclusion in the present day.

The Acorns sponsorship and on-going partnership. Where we led others have followed.

Our supporters and the way we rallied round when the club was at its lowest ebb to not only ensure its survival, but drive it on to its greatest success.

The current team and management - their way of doing things is a beacon of sanity and decency in today's insane and obscene money-obsessed game.

We're just class.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal