collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Away travel subsidy  (Read 12706 times)

Offline CJ

• GM : 12.07.2017
Re: Away travel subsidy
« Reply #30 on: August 29, 2013, 09:41:15 AM »
Clubs will feel even less inclined to lower ticket prices for the paying punter while the FFP rules come more into play. Cheaper prices mean less revenue which means less money to pay the ludicrous amounts of money being paid to players and agents. There is an argument that if prices were lower more people would go to live games as in the German model. I'm not convinced - ticket prices here will never get down to Bundesliga levels and the impact of Sky TV is building the pub/armchair numbers more than attendance at live games. The massive new TV deal could be used by clubs to lower prices but we all know that players wages will continue to rise and we will be the last to benefit from it. £200k a season to subsidise away travel is a drop in the ocean

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #31 on: August 29, 2013, 10:59:49 AM »
How much does it cost to hire a coach?

Offline Des Little

• GM : 03.05.2021
« Reply #32 on: August 29, 2013, 11:21:04 AM »
How much does it cost to hire a coach?

If it's anything like Peter 'The Imposter' Grant, way too much.

Offline robbo1874

« Reply #33 on: August 29, 2013, 12:28:49 PM »
200k / 20 away games = 10k per game.

Presumably that would be 10 free coaches per game (assuming 1 grand per coach for the day)

That's an extra 500 people per away game potentially. And let's face it - we normally sell out or get close to selling out our allocation anyway at away games - so that's a direct kick back to the fans who take trouble to follow us on our travels .

It's a relatively small gesture by the league, but a positive one at that and not to be too readily sniffed at in my view.

Assuming they spend it on free coaches for 500 people of course. Or clearly could just get everyone who buys a ticket to go on the coach and reduce travel price accordingly for each game. Either way I welcome it and can't believe there are some whinging about it already !!

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #34 on: August 29, 2013, 01:18:30 PM »
I wonder if I submitted my fuel bill, they will send some of the money my way?

I would imagine it will be 8 or 9 away games that are subsidised i.e. Sunderland away, Norwich away, Newcastle etc.

Offline amfy

• GM : 07.07.2024
« Reply #35 on: August 29, 2013, 01:42:17 PM »
What we asked for was lower ticket prices. What we have got is more control. The clubs put on free coaches, then that's a fair few of us naughty football fans being herded straight in & out of the ground without scaring the locals. I like my away trips to include seeing a bit of he town I'm visiting & chatting to some locals. Yes that does include the pubs of he town I am visiting and drinking with the locals, but I am a grown up & this is my choice. Just like I can stand up & sing without coming to some harm, I can make my own way to the ground thanks. I just don't want to be paying £50 to get through the gate - when you think about it even a little bit , these prices are outrageous. That is the issue and I will whinge because they are dodging it with yet another means of crowd control that no other spectator activity requires.

Offline Fuse

• GM : 28.08.2015
« Reply #36 on: August 29, 2013, 02:24:24 PM »
Maybe they would be better spending the money on improving the away ends at grounds that need it? For example Villa Park fro away fans is pretty dismal with very little in terms of refreshment areas, toilet facilties etc.

I knwo the cost of gettign to games is extortianate but equally at Villa and other grounds, the facilities are piss poor

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #37 on: August 29, 2013, 03:39:05 PM »
The issue of away facilities at VP is probably down to splitting Witton Lane. When it was all Villa there were probably plenty of facilities for everyone. With the space in the stand for away fans, not sure how easy it would be to create more facilities for them.

Offline pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #38 on: August 29, 2013, 04:15:02 PM »
I read the other day that the average age of the match-attending PL football supporter is 41.

You'd think, given figures like that, that the clubs themselves would be thinking about where the next generation is going to come from.

An awful lot of those current match attenders will be in their 40s and above and will remember childhoods where there was next to nothing to do compared to the options kids have today. More recent and future generations will have grown up with a plethora of other leisure pursuits to amuse themselves, they're not going to be as likely to have spent half their childhood kicking a ball up against a wall for hours or collecting Panini stickers.

There is easily, easily enough money washing around top flight football to massively reduce ticket prices. Not just your fiver off here or there or your family deal, either, but to significantly reduce prices across the board and change the demographic of people who go to football matches.

They won't though, instead it'll all continue to get pissed away, thrown at agents or greedy players in a never ending spiral of money wasting. The clubs are only too happy to have their sterile stadiums with their high prices and their fans getting thrown out for standing or singing.

It's a shame that with all this cash coming into the game, the only people involved in it who see next to no benefit are the fans. I'm sure SSN would tell you how it's great we get to see better players as a result of the clubs having all this money, but that's really only the case for the clubs who can actually attract the best players (via playing in the CL) as well as afford them. I am sure the rest of us, the vast majority of fans, would like to see a more competitive league and an improvement in the atmosphere at matches.

I know it gets said all the time, but as in most walks of life, the Germans with their social concern and forward thinking have got it abssolutely right, while we in England are far too busy getting told by Jim White how amazing our league is and how everyone loves the Premier League.

Offline Nev

• GM : 03.02.2022

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #40 on: August 29, 2013, 05:09:35 PM »
As part of a Premier League wide initiative, Villa will be offering our travelling supporters free coach travel for ten games this season - starting with our match against Hull City Tigers at the KC Stadium on Saturday October 5.

The remaining games in the package are to be confirmed once date and kick-off times have been agreed.

In other good news for those who follow Villa on the road, existing away scheme members are being rewarded too.

They will be receiving £15 Villa Cash, which will be loaded on to their season cards to use this term - that's money they can spend on home tickets, merchandise and events.

Further details will follow on a game-by-game basis.

Offline eastie

« Reply #41 on: August 29, 2013, 05:22:48 PM »
As part of a Premier League wide initiative, Villa will be offering our travelling supporters free coach travel for ten games this season - starting with our match against Hull City Tigers at the KC Stadium on Saturday October 5.

The remaining games in the package are to be confirmed once date and kick-off times have been agreed.

In other good news for those who follow Villa on the road, existing away scheme members are being rewarded too.

They will be receiving £15 Villa Cash, which will be loaded on to their season cards to use this term - that's money they can spend on home tickets, merchandise and events.

Seems jolly decent of them , I'm sure the coaches will be full.

Online Clampy

• GM : PCM
« Reply #42 on: August 29, 2013, 06:02:26 PM »

Regarding that £15 for away scheme members, don't they pay a fee when joining up for the away scheme anyway?

Offline villajk

• GM : June, 2013
« Reply #43 on: August 29, 2013, 06:23:14 PM »
Yes Clampy, we do.  £25.  There are 3 of us in this house in the away scheme.  Despite the fact all the money is taken out of one account and all 3 tickets are sent in the same envelope we still have to pay £25 each. 

Online Clampy

• GM : PCM
« Reply #44 on: August 29, 2013, 06:37:04 PM »
Yes Clampy, we do.  £25.  There are 3 of us in this house in the away scheme.  Despite the fact all the money is taken out of one account and all 3 tickets are sent in the same envelope we still have to pay £25 each. 

I thought so. I know you're all absolutely guaranteed a ticket whatever happens but £75 for the pleasure is a bit steep. We've never had a problem getting a ticket, mainly because of our away history. If you think about it, the only thing you're doing is not paying a booking fee and not having the hassle of ringing up once a month.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal