collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Villa Park Redevelopment by algy
[Today at 01:05:47 PM]

Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by Ducksworthy
[Today at 01:01:39 PM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by devilla
[Today at 01:00:58 PM]

Gordon Cowans by Flamingo Lane
[Today at 12:56:46 PM]

Happy Easter everyone - Wolves at home by dave.woodhall
[Today at 12:46:19 PM]

All aboard the shuttle bus. by dave.woodhall
[Today at 12:23:44 PM]

Champions League Contention by AV82EC
[Today at 12:09:23 PM]

FFP by thick_mike
[Today at 10:19:47 AM]

Recent Posts

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Radio WM  (Read 877005 times)

Online AV82EC

• GM : 22.02.2024
Re: Radio WM
« Reply #1185 on: March 25, 2015, 01:15:37 PM »
I could never understand why anyone took George Gavin seriously. He was a clown who would come out with ever-more hysteria and hyperbole, his shock jockism was so clearly faked as to be embarrassing and above all he was a coward who could dish it out but was totally unable to take even the mildest criticism. That he's been doing the Sky Sports graveyard shift for twenty years sums him up.

I quite enjoyed your dissection of his criticism of H & V in one of the early editions. So whilst he stuck up for the Villa he was indeed the paupers Tony Butler of local radio.

He would often devote large chunks of his programme to slagging us, although never saying why. He went through one issue page by page, but missing out the page where he was criticised. I don't think he ever understood what good advertising it was.

I remember listening to that show and getting more annoyed as he went on. I particularly loved the irony in his comment "criticise the club they pretend to support".  What an idiot.

Online dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #1186 on: March 25, 2015, 01:18:33 PM »
And next day we sold out. Thanks George.

Offline Exeter 77

« Reply #1187 on: March 25, 2015, 01:26:40 PM »
Didn't he call fanzines, and specifically H&V, 'sycophantic' and 'parasites'?

Online dave.woodhall

« Reply #1188 on: March 25, 2015, 01:30:13 PM »

And we called him the poor man's Tony Butler. You could hear the nerve being touched in outer space.

Online Richard E

• This also will pass.
  • GM : 28.02.2019
« Reply #1189 on: March 25, 2015, 01:31:00 PM »
I'm struggling to see how you could be simultaneously "sycophantic" and "criticising the club you claim to support" but then I don't know as much about football as George Gavin, nor does anyone else in the West Midlands.

Online dave.woodhall

« Reply #1190 on: March 25, 2015, 01:33:59 PM »
The daft thing was that he'd come from the Guardian, or some other broadsheet, and he was a good writer. He had a column in the Mail for a couple of years and it was way better than anything else they printed.

Offline Nev

• GM : 03.02.2022
« Reply #1191 on: March 25, 2015, 01:36:21 PM »
I enjoyed him ripping the piss out of Ross on a Friday night, who was making the sort of outlandish claims about what Small Heath were going to do that almost seems to define every 'nose I've ever met.

"The coconut king of fantasy island!"

Online Clampy

• GM : PCM
« Reply #1192 on: March 25, 2015, 01:37:08 PM »
I didn't realise he wrote for the Mail. I liked him on BRMB, I thought him and Tom Ross were fairly entertaining back in the day.

Offline simon ward 50

« Reply #1193 on: March 25, 2015, 01:57:11 PM »
I'm not saying we are obsessed with WM, but 80 pages really?

Offline Gareth

• GM : 25.02.2025
« Reply #1194 on: March 25, 2015, 01:59:38 PM »
I could never understand why anyone took George Gavin seriously. He was a clown who would come out with ever-more hysteria and hyperbole, his shock jockism was so clearly faked as to be embarrassing and above all he was a coward who could dish it out but was totally unable to take even the mildest criticism. That he's been doing the Sky Sports graveyard shift for twenty years sums him up.

I kind of subscribe to the theory that commercial radio stations like Talksport & BRMB (or whatever it is called this week) that type of shock jock stuff is fair game because they are all about the listener numbers and generating the 50p a txt responses and the type of nonsense an Adrian Durham spouts does this.

The BBC on the other hand should hold themselves by a standard of producing quality rather than hyperbole....the one eyed pathetic output of WM brings that way into disrepute for me, when you do a phone in 5/6 days a week presented by the same clown the quality will inevitably dilute - always presuming there was ever a quality there.

Offline Damo70

« Reply #1195 on: March 25, 2015, 01:59:49 PM »

And we called him the poor man's Tony Butler. You could hear the nerve being touched in outer space.

He was great when he covered the Villa in his earlier days but when he took over from Butler he tried to be like him. To say he was  poor imitation of Butler would be an understatement. Butler was naturally bombastic, it was obvious Gavin was trying to create a character for himself.

Offline Damo70

« Reply #1196 on: March 25, 2015, 02:01:20 PM »
I'm not saying we are obsessed with WM, but 80 pages really?

Wait till someone asks if a mini cheddar is a crisp or not. 10,000 pages and then the internet explodes.

Offline joe_c

• Location: My secret hayloft, shot with shafts of afternoon sunlight
  • GM : 31.03.2020
« Reply #1197 on: March 25, 2015, 02:03:11 PM »

I quite enjoyed your dissection of his criticism of H & V in one of the early editions. So whilst he stuck up for the Villa he was indeed the paupers Tony Butler of local radio.

He would often devote large chunks of his programme to slagging us, although never saying why. He went through one issue page by page, but missing out the page where he was criticised. I don't think he ever understood what good advertising it was.

I might be wrong but doesn't Gavin's antipathy towards H&V stem from asking for and being refused a free copy when it was 50p?

Offline Damo70

« Reply #1198 on: March 25, 2015, 02:06:29 PM »
I enjoyed him ripping the piss out of Ross on a Friday night, who was making the sort of outlandish claims about what Small Heath were going to do that almost seems to define every 'nose I've ever met.

"The coconut king of fantasy island!"

When we met him in the eighties I seem to recall he was very tanned and wearing three quarter length tracksuit bottoms. Either that or they were rolled up. He was very friendly but looked like a twat.

Online dave.woodhall

« Reply #1199 on: March 25, 2015, 02:07:13 PM »

I might be wrong but doesn't Gavin's antipathy towards H&V stem from asking for and being refused a free copy when it was 50p?

No; I'd never met him before he started his diatribes.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal