collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Gordon Cowans by CT Villan
[Today at 02:12:50 AM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 01:07:18 AM]

Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by VillaTim
[March 28, 2024, 11:45:01 PM]

COLD BLOW LANE ... 1967 to 1975 ... Did anyone (dare to) visit the Den? by dcdavecollett
[March 28, 2024, 11:02:33 PM]

Youri Tielemans (confirmed) by Somniloquism
[March 28, 2024, 10:54:34 PM]

FFP by AV82EC
[March 28, 2024, 10:36:39 PM]

All aboard the shuttle bus. by Demitri_C
[March 28, 2024, 10:29:02 PM]

GUESS THE CROWD R22: ASTON VILLA v Wolves, Saturday 30th March! 🥧 by ironmaidenmania
[March 28, 2024, 08:43:00 PM]

Recent Posts

Re: Gordon Cowans by CT Villan
[Today at 02:12:50 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by JD
[Today at 01:37:32 AM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 01:07:18 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Percy McCarthy
[Today at 01:05:25 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by The Left Side
[Today at 12:52:12 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by tomd2103
[Today at 12:47:19 AM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by edgysatsuma89
[Today at 12:33:09 AM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by KevinGage
[Today at 12:22:56 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Radio WM  (Read 876921 times)

Offline KRS

Re: Radio WM
« Reply #1170 on: March 25, 2015, 01:30:10 AM »
There's a blast from the past...George Gavin...what ever happened to him?

Offline Rotterdam 82

« Reply #1171 on: March 25, 2015, 03:00:29 AM »
Did he go to Sky?

Offline Clampy

• GM : PCM
« Reply #1172 on: March 25, 2015, 07:07:49 AM »
Radio WM: file under "irrelevant"

I'd go far to say that it is one of the worst radio stations I've ever had the misfortune of listening to...and if you go beyond the football coverage, you will find a whole new level of shameful radio broadcasting funded by our license fees. From the early morning phone ins, to the pathetically outdated music selection and inaccurate travel news, Radio WM is reason enough for license fee to be abolished.

Was Radio WM ever relevant? 

I always thought of it as an "old people's station", with Ed Doolan going on about gas bills and the NHS.  I never bothered with their sports coverage - always preferred BRMB with Tony Butler then George Gavin.

The only show I can ever remember tuning into was "Samantha's Sunday Night Party", which was early 90s (I think).

I remember Samantha's Sunday Night Party. It was actually quite good.

Offline Villan For Life

• GM : 07.08.2024
« Reply #1173 on: March 25, 2015, 07:25:08 AM »
Did he go to Sky?

The last I recall he was fronting Sky's Championship coverage which is about his level.

Offline john e

• GM : 28.06.2024
« Reply #1174 on: March 25, 2015, 08:15:56 AM »
I thought I was told George Gavin was a nose,
 but one in the Tom Ross, Ian Danter mold where you don't instantly turn off

Offline Archbishop Herbert Cockthrottle

• GM : 06.07.2024
« Reply #1175 on: March 25, 2015, 08:37:11 AM »

George Gavin is claimed as a 'celebrity' Everton fan here:

http://www.vintagebluekipper.com/toffee_celebs/1.htm

Offline AV82EC

• GM : 22.02.2024
« Reply #1176 on: March 25, 2015, 09:11:16 AM »

He's definitely an Evertonian, though was always pro-Villa in his time here to act as the counter balance to Tom Ross. His added delight whenever we did Liverpool in those days was the biggest giveaway.

Offline john e

• GM : 28.06.2024
« Reply #1177 on: March 25, 2015, 09:24:14 AM »

He's definitely an Evertonian, though was always pro-Villa in his time here to act as the counter balance to Tom Ross. His added delight whenever we did Liverpool in those days was the biggest giveaway.
y

All these years I've been wrong about him

Offline saunders_heroes

• GM : 25.02.2025
« Reply #1178 on: March 25, 2015, 09:47:05 AM »
Gavin was always pro Villa and it was great when he wound up the Noses. Since he left BRMB I can't think of anyone since who on either that station or WM who stuck up for us. Ross for all his faults at least tries to be fair. All we get on WM is snide little digs at Villa.

Offline Billy Walker

« Reply #1179 on: March 25, 2015, 11:37:43 AM »
I always loved George Gavin and the whole vibe to his show was just brilliant.  I think it was George who officially knighted Graham Taylor "Sir", and it was George who introduced the idea of playing musical clips to accompany each local team's goal reports (for Villa it was SGT singing "Jersusalem").  Whenever he did a fan forum featuring Villa you got a real sense that he liked and respected the Club.   For the teenage me, in those days long before the internet, listening to George Gavin covering Villa was essential stuff.  His phone-ins were great too: a better wind-up merchant you could not find.   

Offline dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #1180 on: March 25, 2015, 11:46:36 AM »
I could never understand why anyone took George Gavin seriously. He was a clown who would come out with ever-more hysteria and hyperbole, his shock jockism was so clearly faked as to be embarrassing and above all he was a coward who could dish it out but was totally unable to take even the mildest criticism. That he's been doing the Sky Sports graveyard shift for twenty years sums him up.

Offline AV82EC

• GM : 22.02.2024
« Reply #1181 on: March 25, 2015, 11:51:14 AM »
I could never understand why anyone took George Gavin seriously. He was a clown who would come out with ever-more hysteria and hyperbole, his shock jockism was so clearly faked as to be embarrassing and above all he was a coward who could dish it out but was totally unable to take even the mildest criticism. That he's been doing the Sky Sports graveyard shift for twenty years sums him up.

I quite enjoyed your dissection of his criticism of H & V in one of the early editions. So whilst he stuck up for the Villa he was indeed the paupers Tony Butler of local radio.

Offline Richard E

• This also will pass.
  • GM : 28.02.2019
« Reply #1182 on: March 25, 2015, 11:52:12 AM »
I remember listening to George Gavin on the radio on the way back from Villa Park once and he was expressing the view that he knew more about football than anyone else in the West Midlands. He stressed he wasn't bragging, just stating a fact.

Offline dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #1183 on: March 25, 2015, 11:53:32 AM »

I quite enjoyed your dissection of his criticism of H & V in one of the early editions. So whilst he stuck up for the Villa he was indeed the paupers Tony Butler of local radio.

He would often devote large chunks of his programme to slagging us, although never saying why. He went through one issue page by page, but missing out the page where he was criticised. I don't think he ever understood what good advertising it was.

Offline Tokyo Sexwhale

« Reply #1184 on: March 25, 2015, 12:47:57 PM »

I think everyone knew he was a wind-up merchant, but at least it was directed more towards Blues/Tom Ross, and was somewhat entertaining.  Better that than the "Bronx Hat Request Show" or whatever WM are serving up.

Personally, George Gavin was the voice of Villa's European adventures in the early 80s, and match reports and sports forums (fora?) thereafter; so my memories are mostly positive. 

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal