collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Recent Posts

Re: Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 07:39:18 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by OCD
[Today at 07:39:18 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Nev
[Today at 07:38:29 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Ian.
[Today at 07:37:07 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Rudy Can't Fail
[Today at 07:36:44 PM]

Re: Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by OCD
[Today at 07:32:48 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Paul.S
[Today at 07:27:19 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by VillaTim
[Today at 07:23:43 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Radio WM  (Read 876845 times)

Offline Matt Collins

Re: Radio WM
« Reply #255 on: November 19, 2013, 07:29:52 AM »
The days of Acker and ashok were when the phone ins were at their peak - nowadays is not a patch on - butler and to a degree George Gavin were both good at the job and entertaining too .

I used to listen them too. Victim of shifting technology surely? 

I like football radio programmes and podcasts. But nowadays when they have a phone in I often have to turn the volume down.

The good thing about a website like this is not just that most people give at least some consideration to what they post, but also that you can choose the threads you want and scroll through posts where people blather on or spout nonsense!

On the radio I find around half of callers are do irritating for one reason of another that I literally can't bear to listen.

I'm not sure having a white bloke pretend to be Pakistani would make it past the screeners now! But then it was the same era that villa saw fit to include a Shaun teale quote on the season review video, having scored v tranmere: "I thought I was being mugged with all these black fellas jumping on me".   

Offline Liam_Baggies

« Reply #256 on: November 19, 2013, 01:32:23 PM »
Their coverage is absolutely awful. I cannot believe how poor it is.

I gave up listening when they started their vendettas against Rosenberg and Anelka. During a game, they actually started calling Rosenberg "Rosenberk". He was only on the pitch ten minutes and they changed their phone-in to discuss "Rosenberk" rather than our defeat against a good Everton side. Anelka, who was our MOTM against Swansea was getting absolutely leathered by Franksy despite being the best player on the pitch - I'm thankful I was away when Anelka was granted compassionate leave.

I also vaguely remember them trying to blame the supporters for Odemwingie being a greedy **** and trying to force a move away to QPR - how we can be possibly blamed for that is beyond me.

We were also told we have a lack of class on several occasions. One for not applauding Petrov (which I won't go into) when we drew 0-0 in a game which made Bob Willis look entertaining and secondly for taking the mick out of Wolves who were earlier relegated to league one.

That said, listening to WM was hilarious at times just to hear the pain in Fransky and the Wolves fans voices when they were spiraling towards league one.

Tom Ross and Ian Taylor is a much better show - just a shame it isn't on BRMB or Free Radio whatever it is now.

Online pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #257 on: November 19, 2013, 02:05:41 PM »
WM seem to thrive on permanently having a downer on local clubs.

I've got a mate who, whenever we discuss anything we're doing for work, and we see something for the first time, he'll always - always - find several things to criticise before he'll say anything positive.

It drives me nuts, but I find WM are very similar.

If local teams finished 1st, 2nd and 3rd in the Premier League, they'd probably start moaning about not scoring enough goals or something.

I doubt there is another BBC local station anywhere in this country with a bigger downer on their local teams.

Online pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #258 on: November 22, 2013, 08:19:25 PM »
I've written a ranty piece on WM for the next fanzine. Took me ages, mostly trimming it down as there was so much to rant about.

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #259 on: November 22, 2013, 08:23:26 PM »
I had thought about doing something like that too after my debut piece. I look forward to reading it.

How many swear words though?

Offline Grande Pablo

« Reply #260 on: November 22, 2013, 08:47:41 PM »
There was another piece of classic journalism on the 0730 news this morning, starting with words to the effect of 'BBC WM has DISCOVERED that a Birmingham School headteacher of a struggling school has left their post...'

At this point the listener is thinking of a Roger Cook or Watchdog style piece. 

'A letter was sent to parents on Tuesday stating...'

Lazy sods.

Offline saunders_heroes

• GM : 25.02.2025
« Reply #261 on: November 22, 2013, 09:23:13 PM »
I listened to about 5 minutes of their phone in tonight and I had to turn off once I heard some Baggie nutter claim Villa started football hooliganism in the midlands in the 1950s.
They're all f#ckin deranged.

Offline cheltenhamlion

« Reply #262 on: November 22, 2013, 09:31:21 PM »
Well done, Paulie. I would think it will be more erudite than 2 pages of nothing on the last 2 months Villa related football.

Why I do but dont agree with success at any price.

And why, even after all these years where I should let it go, Tim Lovejoy is a fucking ******.

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #263 on: November 22, 2013, 09:37:29 PM »
I listened to about 5 minutes of their phone in tonight and I had to turn off once I heard some Baggie nutter claim Villa started football hooliganism in the midlands in the 1950s.
They're all f#ckin deranged.

A genuine lol moment. They are a crank magnet. The best call was after Cardiff "Franksy, if we hadn't have scored today, then we wouldn't have won".

Offline cheltenhamlion

« Reply #264 on: November 22, 2013, 09:41:27 PM »
You lot can chuckle. I have to put up with an entire weekend of those pissed up, gobby bastards before we get to Monday.

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #265 on: November 22, 2013, 10:48:31 PM »
Can't wait to read your article on WM Mr Robins.

I quickly browsed a Wolves forum the other day (don't ask) and even on there they were calling Paul Franks all the names under the sun even though he gives the impression he's a Wolves fan.

I think the endless stream after every wolves games of "why aren't they beating these league one pub teams 4 or 5 nil" and "why aren't they steamrolling league one" despite being top and only dropping points in 4 games all season is beginning to wind them up aswell.

Online rob_bridge

« Reply #266 on: November 22, 2013, 11:02:13 PM »
There was another piece of classic journalism on the 0730 news this morning, starting with words to the effect of 'BBC WM has DISCOVERED that a Birmingham School headteacher of a struggling school has left their post...'

At this point the listener is thinking of a Roger Cook or Watchdog style piece. 

'A letter was sent to parents on Tuesday stating...'

Lazy sods.

Meanwhile in other news Little Chloe Goddard, aged 7, fell over and grazed her kbee.

Online Rudy Can't Fail

• http://www.heroespredictions.co.uk/pl/
« Reply #267 on: November 22, 2013, 11:14:59 PM »
I doubt there is another BBC local station anywhere in this country with a bigger downer on their local teams.

I doubt there's another BBC local station anywhere in the country that has such a low audience of it's sports programmes compared to it's potential captive audience.

Offline dekko

« Reply #268 on: November 23, 2013, 12:02:35 AM »
I got collared to do one of those 'man outside the ground' interviews by radio WM a couple of weeks ago outside the Worcester rugby ground.  I told the microphone man I wouldn't have much to say about a team I don't support and a sport I don't follow too closely, but he still wandered over a minute or two later and started asking questions about Worcester Warriors' transfers, fixtures and manager.

Its no wonder nobody listens to them when they give someone like me 5 minutes to talk utter shite about something they know nothing about (although I suppose it shows how Franksy got a gig there).

Offline Dave Cooper please

• GM : 20.04.2019
« Reply #269 on: November 23, 2013, 07:51:01 AM »

Meanwhile in other news Little Chloe Goddard, aged 7, fell over and grazed her kbee.

Ooh! Nothiung worse than a grazed kbee.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal