collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Gordon Cowans by Clive W
[Today at 07:54:47 AM]

FFP by Chris Harte
[Today at 07:52:57 AM]

Villa Park Redevelopment by algy
[Today at 07:52:47 AM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Dogtanian
[Today at 07:10:41 AM]

Please Donate to Keep This Site Going - Link on Left & Top of Page by Bad English
[Today at 06:57:08 AM]

Muppet Donations by Bad English
[Today at 06:56:08 AM]

Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by Allan C
[Today at 06:23:47 AM]

All aboard the shuttle bus. by IFWaters
[Today at 06:20:45 AM]

Recent Posts

Re: Gordon Cowans by Clive W
[Today at 07:54:47 AM]

Re: FFP by Chris Harte
[Today at 07:52:57 AM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by algy
[Today at 07:52:47 AM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Dogtanian
[Today at 07:10:41 AM]

Re: Please Donate to Keep This Site Going - Link on Left & Top of Page by Bad English
[Today at 06:57:08 AM]

Re: Muppet Donations by Bad English
[Today at 06:56:08 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Villan For Life
[Today at 06:38:03 AM]

Re: Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by Allan C
[Today at 06:23:47 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Radio WM  (Read 876963 times)

Offline Dave Cooper please

• GM : 20.04.2019
Re: Radio WM
« Reply #75 on: September 18, 2013, 09:21:37 AM »
Wolves were playing a local derby tonight. WM's special guests were Stayvie Bull, Robert Plant and Suzi Perry. No bias there, oh no.

To be fair, they'd struggle to find a Walsall legend or famous fan.

Walsall fans will have a huge list of legends, it's very patronising of their local radio station not to invite at least one of them just because some listeners might not have heard of them.

Offline not3bad

• GM : 15.06.2022
« Reply #76 on: September 18, 2013, 10:00:45 AM »
Wolves were playing a local derby tonight. WM's special guests were Stayvie Bull, Robert Plant and Suzi Perry. No bias there, oh no.

To be fair, they'd struggle to find a Walsall legend or famous fan.

Walsall fans will have a huge list of legends, it's very patronising of their local radio station not to invite at least one of them just because some listeners might not have heard of them.

Some of those Walsall legends were present during the pre season friendly with Villa so they had a ready list from which to invite.

Online Clampy

• GM : PCM
« Reply #77 on: September 18, 2013, 11:57:19 AM »
I presume a Wolves defeat at home in League 1 by a team that cost nothing will be glossed over in place of 'Will Benteke still be a Villa player in January'.

Offline adbo9

« Reply #78 on: September 18, 2013, 01:36:32 PM »
what about One-time pop-chart wrecker, now trainspotter and Walsall celebrity  fan Pete Waterman

Offline Dave Clark Five

• Location: In Doctor Who's Tardis trying to find Villa Park anytime between 1970 and 1972.
  • GM : June, 2013
« Reply #79 on: September 19, 2013, 06:45:05 PM »
Ed Doolan is a pensioners favourite. Some of them listen to him with religious reverence.

Is he still alive then?

Doolan has made a career out of having a list of tradesmens phone numbers which he gives out to old age pensioners who dont have the internet or have lost their yellow pages. In addition he has a list of phone numbers for various local council departments which he can palm people off with when they have problems. If he does want to talk to someone in a bit of authority to sort out a listeners problem, his reserachers do all the spade work then he comes in at the last second to take all the glory.
I'm not as young or as tolerant as I was but I still view him as a real grumpy old sod, someone who could blow his top at any second with a caller that upsets him if they say the wrong thing in the world according to Doolan.
Worst of all he appears to have no real interest in football. I have heard him with Doug on his show a couple of times, and it was Doolan coming out with all the crap !
Its like listening to Tony Butler in a world where football was never invented. 

Doolan made a career out of broadcasting, in his native Australia and here for pretty much all of his life. You may not like him or his style but he was very good. He made no secret of having researchers for his consumer show, he was the front man but would often tackle those in authority on air himself if need be. He interviewed some of the most famous people in the world in his time and also never claimed to be a sports broadcaster or sports journalist.

His consumer show ended at least five years ago and he is in semi-retirement now, probably ruminating on the fact that he got away with murder, after all, anyone could do what he did.

'Have a word to..' He used to advise callers. How do you have a word to?

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #80 on: September 19, 2013, 08:50:19 PM »
Waterman doesn't go to Walsall anymore. He used to go regularly with one of his sons but I think he passed away and so he prefers to watch their good results from afar now.

On WM, I know Dave seemed to hint a while ago in a H&V interview that Paul Franks is supposedly a Villa fan but I really don't see it as he's incredibly biased towards Wolves.

Before every single home game this season he's been ranting on about teams turning up to the "league one equivilant of Wembley" even though both Sheffield clubs and Leeds have been in this division recently and all three have larger grounds than Wolves, possibly Forest aswell.

Offline danlanza

« Reply #81 on: September 19, 2013, 08:57:27 PM »
Waterman doesn't go to Walsall anymore. He used to go regularly with one of his sons but I think he passed away and so he prefers to watch their good results from afar now.

On WM, I know Dave seemed to hint a while ago in a H&V interview that Paul Franks is supposedly a Villa fan but I really don't see it as he's incredibly biased towards Wolves.

Before every single home game this season he's been ranting on about teams turning up to the "league one equivilant of Wembley" even though both Sheffield clubs and Leeds have been in this division recently and all three have larger grounds than Wolves, possibly Forest aswell.
The dogheads ground is a very good ground imv.

Offline N'ZMAV

« Reply #82 on: September 19, 2013, 09:23:48 PM »
I struggle to get WM now I've moved to Worcestershire, although, I'm only just outside Birmingham. Suppose I should think myself lucky?

Online Villan For Life

• GM : 07.08.2024
« Reply #83 on: September 19, 2013, 09:44:04 PM »
I struggle to get WM now I've moved to Worcestershire, although, I'm only just outside Birmingham. Suppose I should think myself lucky?

You could always listen on line......

Offline N'ZMAV

« Reply #84 on: September 19, 2013, 09:49:16 PM »

You could always listen on line......
I'm too busy...

Offline dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #85 on: September 19, 2013, 11:16:59 PM »

Franks is definitely a Villa fan - someone on here used to go to school with him and I've seen him at matches. The "everybody's cup final" bit about Wolves is pathetic.

Offline tomd2103

« Reply #86 on: September 20, 2013, 12:17:41 AM »
Not WM and it might just be me, but the football coverage on Free Radio / XTRA AM or whatever it is called now seems to be focused very much on Blues these days.  I don't know if there is some kind of issue with them covering Premier League games, but Tom Ross only really seems interested in what's happening with that shower.   

Online Clampy

• GM : PCM
« Reply #87 on: September 20, 2013, 08:56:06 AM »
Not WM and it might just be me, but the football coverage on Free Radio / XTRA AM or whatever it is called now seems to be focused very much on Blues these days.  I don't know if there is some kind of issue with them covering Premier League games, but Tom Ross only really seems interested in what's happening with that shower.   

I don't get that with Tom Ross to be honest, despite him being a blue nose. I'm not sure if they cover Villa away games or can afford to but I think he does his best to keep it as unbiased towards his own club as possible.

Offline Broughty-Villian

« Reply #88 on: September 20, 2013, 09:22:51 AM »
I worked with Ed Doolan on his Sunday show, and out of all the others broadcasters I worked with he was the most proffesional. Under Tony Inchley in the early 90's WM was a much better station that what it is know, they also had a better sports head (did a golden oldies on a sunday) and he was excellent, he helped us at hospital radio sandwell get commentry from the baggies and anything we needed copies off rrom wm within reason, copies of commentries interviews etc. Franksie was there then but seems to have not hit the mark

Offline rob_bridge

« Reply #89 on: September 21, 2013, 08:39:22 AM »

The dogheads ground is a very good ground imv.

Both Sheffield grounds are pretty shit to be fair. Big but shit. Long time since I was at Leeds and Molineux is defo better than Forest.

League One Wembley is a bit of a lazy slogan mind.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal