collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Radio WM  (Read 876865 times)

Offline Damo70

Re: Radio WM
« Reply #30 on: August 28, 2013, 11:22:29 AM »
Ed Doolan is a pensioners favourite. Some of them listen to him with religious reverence.

Online pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #31 on: August 28, 2013, 11:25:51 AM »
From the comments on here about Franks he seems to be like George Gavin became when he went from a decent commentator who backed the Villa to replacing Tony Butler and becoming a total parody because he just wanted to be over the top controversial.

Yes, I always thought that was a shame with Gavin. He had the basics of a decent sports broadcaster but fell into that trap of becoming a carefully sculpted wind up merchant.

Now look at him. Spends transfer deadline standing outside Hull's training ground for SSN and the rest of the year doing god knows what.

Offline dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #32 on: August 28, 2013, 11:31:23 AM »
From the comments on here about Franks he seems to be like George Gavin became when he went from a decent commentator who backed the Villa to replacing Tony Butler and becoming a total parody because he just wanted to be over the top controversial.

Yes, I always thought that was a shame with Gavin. He had the basics of a decent sports broadcaster but fell into that trap of becoming a carefully sculpted wind up merchant.

Now look at him. Spends transfer deadline standing outside Hull's training ground for SSN and the rest of the year doing god knows what.

You can't act controversial. It's either natural or it isn't. Butler was a genius at it for a while then spent twenty years trying to get his glory years back, Gavin was just an embarrassment.

Online Clampy

• GM : PCM
« Reply #33 on: August 28, 2013, 11:46:29 AM »
I did'nt mind Gavin back in the day but he'd probably annoy me now. I think I'd prefer him over 'call me Franskey'.

Offline Chris Smith

• GM : 08.01.2025
« Reply #34 on: August 28, 2013, 11:53:23 AM »
I don't listen to local radio at all these days. Not through any conscious boycott but just because it's dull and I can get better music, news and sport elsewhere. This thread has confirmed that there is no need to go back to check for any hint at improvement.

Offline Brend'Watkins

• GM : 20.03.2025
« Reply #35 on: August 28, 2013, 11:58:14 AM »
I'm with you Chris.  There's plenty of radio stations to choose from.  Why would I bother tuning into something that I know will instantly annoy me.

Offline Grande Pablo

« Reply #36 on: August 28, 2013, 12:34:04 PM »
WM generally has gone down the pan over the years.  It's has lost it's local nature, but when they do try to be local they wheel out idiots like Roving Richie Anderson & Daz Hale.  They possibly haven't had a decent presenter since Shane O'Connor.

Driving to Weston on Sunday, was suprised to here Malcolm Boyden on BBC H&W.  Still in full Black Country drawl.

Offline silhillvilla

• GM : Dec, 2014
« Reply #37 on: August 28, 2013, 12:35:43 PM »
I only really listen to the match commentaries of the odd away game on WM and have always found them ok. Not brilliant but by no means would I say the commentaries are full of digs at the villa.

Offline Barney74

« Reply #38 on: August 28, 2013, 12:47:33 PM »
I'd rather listen to the shipping forecast than WM. And I don't even own a boat.

;D

Offline bertlambshank

• GM : 30.06.2019
« Reply #39 on: August 28, 2013, 01:03:35 PM »
I only really listen to the match commentaries of the odd away game on WM and have always found them ok. Not brilliant but by no means would I say the commentaries are full of digs at the villa.
Are you sure it's WM you are listening to? Take last night for example,they didn't blame the Blues players once.If it was us they would of gone mental at our players and blamed Randy for it all.

Offline sirlordbaltimore

« Reply #40 on: August 28, 2013, 01:06:42 PM »

I've never found them to be on Villa's back either. They're the same with every local club. It's how they create a debate and get bellends to call in

Offline Simon Ward

« Reply #41 on: August 28, 2013, 01:19:03 PM »
Ed Doolan is a pensioners favourite. Some of them listen to him with religious reverence.

Is he still alive then?

Offline silhillvilla

• GM : Dec, 2014
« Reply #42 on: August 28, 2013, 01:47:35 PM »
Are you sure it's WM you are listening to? Take last night for example,they didn't blame the Blues players once.If it was us they would of gone mental at our players and blamed Randy for it all.
Never listened to a SHA game or Smethwick etc so can't compare . Listened to a few villa away games last season eg. Swansea , everton where they slaughtered us for throwing it away late - fair .
Also the Millwall game where they were fairly critical. And they were right to be.

Online Clampy

• GM : PCM
« Reply #43 on: August 28, 2013, 02:28:10 PM »
WM generally has gone down the pan over the years.  It's has lost it's local nature, but when they do try to be local they wheel out idiots like Roving Richie Anderson & Daz Hale. 

A couple of season's back when we played Fulham away first game of the season, Richie Anderson interviewed a few of us before we got on the coach and travelled down with us. He was asleep all the way there apparantley.

Offline eastie

« Reply #44 on: August 28, 2013, 02:44:17 PM »
WM generally has gone down the pan over the years.  It's has lost it's local nature, but when they do try to be local they wheel out idiots like Roving Richie Anderson & Daz Hale. 

A couple of season's back when we played Fulham away first game of the season, Richie Anderson interviewed a few of us before we got on the coach and travelled down with us. He was asleep all the way there apparantley.

Probably asleep during the game too - mcleishs 1st game and as dour a 0-0 draw as could be imagined .

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal