collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Radio WM  (Read 876832 times)

Offline saunders_heroes

• GM : 25.02.2025
Re: Radio WM
« Reply #15 on: August 28, 2013, 07:16:49 AM »
I've been saying for years how anti Villa WM are. Sick to death of hearing Paul Franks snide remarks about Villa and looking for a negative in every positive. Yet when it comes to Small Heath and the Baggies they're the complete opposite even when those clubs are going to the wall. I'd love us to have a decent season just to rub their noses in it, and especially Franks. It's bad enough listening to his Daily Mail style views let alone his anti Villa crap.

Offline LeeS

• GM : 12.01.2025
« Reply #16 on: August 28, 2013, 08:24:48 AM »
I live in London so dont listen to them. But what was their reaction post Arsenal? Post Chelsea? We lost on Saturday and it was an anti climax of sorts. So I would expect a negative appraisal. But surely they (Franksy included) were raving about us the week before?

Offline danlanza

« Reply #17 on: August 28, 2013, 08:29:28 AM »
I won the " Home win, away win or draw" competition on there many years ago. Infact it would have been circa 92.
Got a bloody good " History of Post War British Football" book.
Haven't listened to WM for years now. Not missing much by the sounds of things.

Online Clampy

• GM : PCM
« Reply #18 on: August 28, 2013, 09:04:04 AM »
Give me Tom Ross any day of the week. I know he's a bluenose but at least he makes an effort to be impartial.

Offline silhillvilla

• GM : Dec, 2014
« Reply #19 on: August 28, 2013, 09:05:48 AM »
Not a fan of WM, it's a necessary evil at times for the live commentary. In terms of balance, what I will say is, at least they aren't some Propaganda agents who have been paid off by the club to toe the party line and dance to the tune. I'd rather have them criticising (which frankly over the last 3 or 4 years is understandable) rather than blowing smoke up the clubs arse falsely.

Offline Andy_Lochhead_in_the_air

• Location: Upton Park....No, Olympic Stadium....No, Aston Park...Yes that's it,Turf Moor.
« Reply #20 on: August 28, 2013, 09:16:29 AM »
Give me Tom Ross any day of the week. I know he's a bluenose but at least he makes an effort to be impartial.

Totally agree. With most media matters I will favour BBC over any commercial alternative. With Tom Ross you know where you are. When he says he wants all the local clubs to do well he means it.

Offline The Man With A Stick

« Reply #21 on: August 28, 2013, 10:04:12 AM »
Haven't listed to WM since they had an anti-Petrov agenda a few years ago, even though he was playing well at the time.

Is it just the case that we're the only ones with any fans for him to get a reaction from? He could say what he liked about Small Heath and there'd be no-one out there to give a shit (and therefore phone in).

You may have a point there, I can't imagine any noses listen to WM as they're all too busy calling Ron Toss trying to get their filthy unemployable mitts on one of his free bronx hats.  By the way, I drove through the Bronx in early 2000 and didn't see one person in a blue "1152 XTRA AM" wooly hat.

Offline thick_mike

• GM : 26.02.2025
« Reply #22 on: August 28, 2013, 10:18:30 AM »
Paul Franks = Alan Partridge

Offline Tony Erdington

• Being There
« Reply #23 on: August 28, 2013, 10:30:30 AM »
Quality thread, love most the posts, particularly the one referring to wm as MF. yeah I have been coming to that conclusion about franksie being a tool for a while now.
General opinion about Villa is good start, room for improvement, but going in the right direction. All that said I still am aiming for just above a half way finish this season. that wanker franksie starts trying to up the anti by getting "fans" to predict top 6 top 4; for what reason so as when we aint up there he can crank up the anti Villa bolox . just to give a bit of balance here I think tom toss is a c*** as well, bluenose shit hates us, imho. I couldn't stand his snide remarks of anything Villa.

How can this city have two local radio stations and have wankers as their football correspondents,

THIS IS POLITICAL CORRECTNESS GONE MAD
« Last Edit: August 28, 2013, 04:33:30 PM by Tony Erdington »

Offline warleyboy

« Reply #24 on: August 28, 2013, 10:34:13 AM »
They're just a small minded, middleish to shit radio station, lucking to stir things up, cos they got nothing else to do.
Jesus, their presenters are appalling, Ed Doolan is an absolute gob shite, on the radio and in person.
While Franksy, the cock jockey just tries to make his dull show interesting with any old bullshite.

Offline pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #25 on: August 28, 2013, 10:42:49 AM »
Not a fan of WM, it's a necessary evil at times for the live commentary. In terms of balance, what I will say is, at least they aren't some Propaganda agents who have been paid off by the club to toe the party line and dance to the tune. I'd rather have them criticising (which frankly over the last 3 or 4 years is understandable) rather than blowing smoke up the clubs arse falsely.

I entirely agree, I don't want journalists to be sucking the club's arsehole constantly, I want a degree of impartiality, not telling us everything is great when it isn't.

I also do not normally buy into this whole "the press hates us" / "it's the bitter London media" / "they don't care about stuff outside London or the north west" thing, either, it's almost always paranoid nonsense.

However, with WM, I am of a different mind. Their bitter need to find something to complain about, to always find the cloud to go with the silver lining, is incredible. And what's more, it is so achingly obvious, they don't even try to hide it.

Yet, listen to them talk about Small Heath or the Albion and it's entirely different. It could not be more obvious.

The difference between local radio and national radio is that whilst the national flavour is supposed to be impartial, local radio stations are supposed to be supportive of local clubs. Go anywhere else in the country and you will see this in action.

That doesn't mean I want WM to act like Randy's mouthpiece and pedal witless puff pieces telling us everything is brilliant, not for a moment. But they are entirely the opposite - they pounce on every opportunity to tell us how terrible things are at Villa. Every single time. It is pretty hard to believe until you actually hear it for yourself.

What Dave said in his opening post is a good example - the totally different way they report on us, Albion and Blues.

Offline pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #26 on: August 28, 2013, 10:44:33 AM »
Is it just the case that we're the only ones with any fans for him to get a reaction from? He could say what he liked about Small Heath and there'd be no-one out there to give a shit (and therefore phone in).

Small Heath fans would need to wait till their carer's next scheduled visit to do the "pushing the buttons" bit of making a phone call, by which time, Franksy would have finished.

Offline Concrete John

• GM : Mar, 2014
« Reply #27 on: August 28, 2013, 11:07:08 AM »
I think these phone in shows thrive on misery.  9 times out of 10 the caller wants to have a moan about something.  So, by putting a negative spin on things they generate the calls to keep themselves going.

Offline Damo70

« Reply #28 on: August 28, 2013, 11:08:28 AM »
I have never really listened to WM much in my life. Although I do have their album of the European cup final commentary. Paul Franks has been around for quite a while now hasn't he? I seem to remember being stuck outside Old Trafford in the early nineties waiting for a door to open and Tom Ross was waiting too. Franks turned up and there was a little awkward polite conversation between the two of them. I have no idea how I ended up in their company for a couple of minutes as I only had a bog standard away ticket. From the comments on here about Franks he seems to be like George Gavin became when he went from a decent commentator who backed the Villa to replacing Tony Butler and becoming a total parody because he just wanted to be over the top controversial.

Offline Andy_Lochhead_in_the_air

• Location: Upton Park....No, Olympic Stadium....No, Aston Park...Yes that's it,Turf Moor.
« Reply #29 on: August 28, 2013, 11:18:33 AM »
Ed Doolan is an absolute gob shite, on the radio and in person.

I agree. Then again I dislike Australians at the best of times. 

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal