collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Posts

Re: Pre-season 2024/25 by Richard
[Today at 02:03:24 PM]

Re: Pre-season 2024/25 by Dogtanian
[Today at 02:01:53 PM]

Re: Pre-season 2024/25 by CT Villan
[Today at 01:59:17 PM]

Re: Pre-season 2024/25 by Toronto Villa
[Today at 01:59:06 PM]

Re: Pre-season 2024/25 by Toronto Villa
[Today at 01:58:24 PM]

Re: Pre-season 2024/25 by Dogtanian
[Today at 01:56:50 PM]

Re: UEFA Europa Conference League-Knockout stages (Olympiacos) by Nev
[Today at 01:56:42 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by SamTheMouse
[Today at 01:56:02 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Radio WM  (Read 881120 times)

Online amfy

• GM : 07.07.2024
Re: Radio WM
« Reply #3735 on: December 12, 2018, 09:43:31 AM »
I am just the same Sambenjoe. I listen totally against my better judgement and sometimes turn it off during the short drive home simply because I am so angry with the radio that I have become dangerous!

However, last night I felt the dressing down of the night before might have had some impact because it was surprisingly listenable.

Online tomd2103

« Reply #3736 on: December 12, 2018, 12:18:03 PM »
I am just the same Sambenjoe. I listen totally against my better judgement and sometimes turn it off during the short drive home simply because I am so angry with the radio that I have become dangerous!

However, last night I felt the dressing down of the night before might have had some impact because it was surprisingly listenable.

I think it is quite apparent that Franks tones down the anti-Villa sentiments when one of the 'Villa' pundits is in the studio with him (Garry Thompson was with him last night and it was the same when Nigel Spink used to be on).  It's when one of the other pundits is on or he is left to his own devices that the anti-Villa stuff starts to come out.

Online The Edge

• GM : PCM
« Reply #3737 on: December 12, 2018, 01:22:42 PM »
Listening is a choice and if it gets to you to that degree, you need to stop listening and hurt them by reducing their listening figures.
Genuine question for anyone who knows the answer. How would they know if she stops listening? More to the point, how do they get the data on how many people tune in?

Offline sambenjoe

« Reply #3738 on: December 12, 2018, 01:54:18 PM »
I didn't listen last night but I do agree that Franksy tones it down when a Villa pundit is present, he must think we are so gullible. It is a shame as I do like the radio station as a whole and have the radio on all day and I do like to keep up with the local teams news but it really is bad and I end up either burning the dinner or drinking too much whilst screaming at the radio therefore I have had to turn it off.

Online andyh

• GM : May, 2012
« Reply #3739 on: December 12, 2018, 02:32:17 PM »
Radio WM is the same as The Evening Mail.
A ‘local’ service provider that seems to detest the population it serves.

Offline AlexAlexCropley

« Reply #3740 on: December 14, 2018, 11:47:57 AM »
It's not just the phone in though. It permeates everywhere on the station
E.g. A Villa home match will be relegated in a sports news report in favour of Blues or Albion away.
I heard a press conference at length with Gary Monk who were playing away ,no mention of Villa at home,let alone a press conference
Listen carefully to their news match reports,they'll be riddled with negative Villa comments, whereas Blues perform heroics at fortress St Andrews
I have stopped listening and the sooner the station ceases the better

Offline Three Spires Villa

« Reply #3741 on: December 14, 2018, 12:39:35 PM »
It's not just the phone in though. It permeates everywhere on the station
E.g. A Villa home match will be relegated in a sports news report in favour of Blues or Albion away.
I heard a press conference at length with Gary Monk who were playing away ,no mention of Villa at home,let alone a press conference
Listen carefully to their news match reports,they'll be riddled with negative Villa comments, whereas Blues perform heroics at fortress St Andrews
I have stopped listening and the sooner the station ceases the better

Great post, agree

Offline sirlordbaltimore

« Reply #3742 on: December 14, 2018, 12:48:27 PM »

I honestly think some people imagine this anti Villa thing. It's a shit show with largely awful callers from all local clubs.

But i've never sensed any anti Villa vibe. They wind up and talk shit about all the local clubs from time to time to get callers.

Standard practice.

Online robleflaneur

« Reply #3743 on: December 14, 2018, 01:02:25 PM »
It's like a drug.  Drags you in.  Just say no :-)
Psst,wanna buy  a radio that's tuned to WM.Genuine.

Online tomd2103

« Reply #3744 on: December 14, 2018, 01:10:50 PM »

I honestly think some people imagine this anti Villa thing. It's a shit show with largely awful callers from all local clubs.

But i've never sensed any anti Villa vibe. They wind up and talk shit about all the local clubs from time to time to get callers.

Standard practice.

Do you listen to the station on a regular basis throughout the day?  I don't anymore, but went through a period where I did and found that the anti-Villa jibes were present throughout the day, not just during the football phone-in.  Adverts during the day for the football coverage often featured calls from other clubs having a dig at Villa and I never heard one featuring someone having a go at any of the other clubs.   

Offline Des Little

• GM : 03.05.2021
« Reply #3745 on: December 14, 2018, 01:13:15 PM »
I'd rather drink a cup of cold sick than tune into WM, any time of the day.

Offline rougegorge

« Reply #3746 on: December 14, 2018, 01:20:17 PM »

Standard practice.

I tend to agree. I've heard them criticise the other clubs as well. Also, bear in mind that we are by some degree the biggest club in the area, so the expectation levels should be higher.

If WM were to stop its coverage and the phone-ins as some fans want, we would get very little radio exposure at present. Yes, radio as a medium no longer has the weight it used to have and yes, the callers resemble a bunch of people from a pub who spout on and think they know a lot more than they do just because they phone in regularly, but be careful what you wish for.

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #3747 on: December 14, 2018, 01:45:25 PM »
I listen to it when I am in Brum. It seems to me they indulge the tin pot neighbours and adopt Talksport style baiting to get callers to wither come and defend us or attack us.

Nearly every call mentions us.

Offline sirlordbaltimore

« Reply #3748 on: December 14, 2018, 03:53:10 PM »
Do you listen to the station on a regular basis throughout the day?

are you mad ???  ;D

not since the Malcolm Boyden glory years

Offline AlexAlexCropley

« Reply #3749 on: December 14, 2018, 04:34:07 PM »
Do you listen to the station on a regular basis throughout the day?

are you mad ???  ;D

not since the Malcolm Boyden glory years
Now strutting his faux jokey mate shtick on BBC Hereford & Worcester

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal