collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Posts

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Your ideal starting lineup for Villa  (Read 8367 times)

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
Re: Your ideal starting lineup for Villa
« Reply #30 on: August 24, 2013, 12:55:26 AM »
On the bench. At the risk of being considered a heretic, I prefer Pongo! 'Ampton's on the bench too.

Oh, and in case anyone was wondering, the Mortimer I've picked is Dennis, not Paul.

Billy was an inside-forward and while you're at it what is McGrath doing at left-back and why do you have two centre-forwards and two half-backs?

McGrath and Spencer are both playing defence, they have to cover (what would now be called) full-back and centre-back positions, but they'll be fine, if Barcelona don't bother playing defence properly I don't see why we should have to. Little and Shaw could both play inside forward type role. McParland is in as he varied between forward and winger so would suit a five up front formation, Hunter is playing in a free role.

Online dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #31 on: August 24, 2013, 01:05:55 AM »
On the bench. At the risk of being considered a heretic, I prefer Pongo! 'Ampton's on the bench too.

Oh, and in case anyone was wondering, the Mortimer I've picked is Dennis, not Paul.

Billy was an inside-forward and while you're at it what is McGrath doing at left-back and why do you have two centre-forwards and two half-backs?

McGrath and Spencer are both playing defence, they have to cover (what would now be called) full-back and centre-back positions, but they'll be fine, if Barcelona don't bother playing defence properly I don't see why we should have to. Little and Shaw could both play inside forward type role. McParland is in as he varied between forward and winger so would suit a five up front formation, Hunter is playing in a free role.

You don't know what you're talking about do you?
« Last Edit: August 24, 2013, 01:26:53 PM by dave.woodhall »

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #32 on: August 24, 2013, 01:10:55 AM »
Rarely.

Offline Matt Collins

« Reply #33 on: August 24, 2013, 12:07:54 PM »
I would play the tight 3 in midfield away from home, but have an attacking player in the hole for majority of home games and lets be honest, Liverpool are a decent team like us but are missing their best player, surely we should go for it and not worry about them

It'd be a major risk to open up our midfield as we did against Malaga, given the players Liverpool have to play between the lines.

Online edgysatsuma89

« Reply #34 on: August 24, 2013, 04:32:11 PM »
I would play the tight 3 in midfield away from home, but have an attacking player in the hole for majority of home games and lets be honest, Liverpool are a decent team like us but are missing their best player, surely we should go for it and not worry about them

It'd be a major risk to open up our midfield as we did against Malaga, given the players Liverpool have to play between the lines.

I completely agree, this Liverpool team is exactly the reason for a tight midfield 3, even at home. Tricky, quick, tight little passing footballers even without Suarez. I know some people don't exactly want counter attacking football at home but against some teams I'd be more than happy for it to be used.

Online olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
« Reply #35 on: August 26, 2013, 08:44:54 AM »
This would be ideal!
Neuer

Alves, Badstuber, Kompany, Lahm

Kroos, Schweinsteiger, Ribery, Bale

Messi, Ronaldo

Offline paulcomben

• GM : Oct, 2013
« Reply #36 on: August 26, 2013, 08:56:05 AM »
When everyone is fit and in good form which starting eleven do you see being our best this season.

Guzan - one of our best players last season, is still young too, Given is a good backup to have.
Okore - His pace could be important and will hopefully be a little less prone to errors than Clark (who I also think has promise).
Vlaar - Think he was unlucky last season due to injury and the fact that we had a very unsettled back line.  See him growing into a Martin Laurson type leader.
Luna - His pace coming from deep gives us a different options on the break.
Lowton - A more hard working and tidy player who could compliant Luna very well.
Sylla - Its early to say, but can see him as our Roy Keane enforcer type, think he is a good passer and will score a few goals too.
Depth - Another hard worker with pace, impressive start to the season, will grow in confiderence the more he plays.
Westwood/Albrighton/Bacuna - Am a bit on the fence here as I think we need a bit more of a bust of pace and old school style winger which Albrighton gives us but then with the front three maybe that takes care of that problem.  Westwood had a promising first season but do see him as one whose form will be hit and miss so I do see a place for Albrighton at times. Bacuna is another tradition winger, don't know a great deal about him but expect him to play a part as the season moves on.
Agbonlahor - Great start to the season.
Benteke - No brainer.
Weimann - A flexible player who fits well into our style of play and can be good both going forward and working back.  Should get roughly nine or ten goals, but again will consider other options such as Albrighton, Helenius if his form dips. 

Don't you think that Depth would be out of his Delph?

Offline Summers

« Reply #37 on: August 26, 2013, 10:34:11 AM »
Ideally, I'd love to see Gardner in the midfield three for a run of games. Til then KEA, Westwood & Delph are what I'd be playing as first choice.

Offline Clark W Griswold

« Reply #38 on: August 26, 2013, 11:15:07 AM »
As things stand at the moment...

Guzan, Lowton, Okore, Vlaar, Luna, Sylla, Westwood, Delph, Agbonlahor, Benteke, Weimann.
With stand in's as follows (as direct replacements)
Steer, Herd, Baker, Clark, Bennett, Gardner, (no direct Westwood replacement), KEA, Tonev, Helanius, Bacuna.

With Bowery and Albrighton as extra squad members. The likes of Ireland, Given, Hutton, N'Zog, Delfouneso and Bannan can all go for me.

I would then like to see us add an experienced centre back (to play instead of Vlaar) and an experienced central mid (and would then rotate Delph, Sylla and Westwood for the other 2 places).

Offline Clark W Griswold

« Reply #39 on: August 26, 2013, 11:22:20 AM »
This would be ideal!
Neuer

Messi, Ronaldo

I'll swap you Ribery for Iniesta, otherwise i'd be pretty happy with that team. We might make top 6.

Offline villan from luton

« Reply #40 on: August 26, 2013, 11:23:32 AM »

I completely agree, this Liverpool team is exactly the reason for a tight midfield 3, even at home. Tricky, quick, tight little passing footballers even without Suarez. I know some people don't exactly want counter attacking football at home but against some teams I'd be more than happy for it to be used.

The fact is we would have had a third person in the middle in a more attacking role and that would have got the attention of the two deep lying midfielders. Would have been a far better formation IMHO than the 4-4-2 that we started with, the attacking midfielder goes onto their deepest midfielder when they have the ball

Offline Breezeblock

• GM : 29.11.2024
« Reply #41 on: August 26, 2013, 11:46:53 AM »
Banks

Gidman
Beckenbauer
McGrath
Carlos R

Matthews
Davids
Ronaldinho
Little

Messi
Pele

Yes, yes, I know the formation doesn't work and there have been better right-backs than Gidders  but it's my fantasy so leave me alone!!

Offline JUAN PABLO

• http://www.scifimafia.net
  • GM : Aug, 2014
« Reply #42 on: August 26, 2013, 12:18:09 PM »
This would be ideal!
Neuer

Messi, Ronaldo

still think we would struggle against the likes of Bradford

Offline eastie

« Reply #43 on: August 26, 2013, 12:51:16 PM »
Need to see tonev in the Weimann role and see what he can do , the back 4 on Saturday looked solid , kea has started well and it would be between him and sylla for a spot too-

Guzan
 Lowton.      Vlaar.   Okore.    Luna

Delph.   Westwood.   Sylla/kea

Gabby.    Benteke.     Weimann/tonev

Offline warleyboy

« Reply #44 on: August 26, 2013, 01:01:39 PM »
I would like to play Helenius up front with Tekkers, he plays some beautiful football and has great vision.

Guzan

Lowton.   Okore.   Vlaar.   Luna

Westwood   Delph.    Gabby

Tonev

Benteke      Helenius

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal