collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Fabian Delph - Signed for Manchester City  (Read 633772 times)

Offline manic-road

Re: Fabian Delph - Signed for Manchester City
« Reply #3990 on: November 26, 2015, 07:17:54 AM »
Bloody hell, Compo rations. That takes me back. They were the only food worse than whale meat (main dealer F Normansell, Bell St and the market hall) and snoek, some sort of fish traded by the same gentleman football club owner that civilians had to eat. Mutton Scottish Style (Mutton Jocks to the squaddies)'was the worst and universally loathed. Lumps of undercooked animal fat floating in slimy grey porridge. We had it in Berlin when the Jerries were starving and even they would not eat it.

As unpleasant as compo was in the main (biscuits fruit, spangles, bacon burgers excepted) you should try the American version MREs or Meals Ready to Eat.  We renamed them Meals Rejected by Ethiopia they were so bad.
Could never get any of my section to eat the cheese possessed we had cans all over the back of our 432 every time we came off exercise,

Here's a trip down memory lane for your guts Brian.
Free Photo Sharing by ThumbSnap[/url]

Biscuits brown were brown alright probably made from rock hard dog poo, but the chicken curry was nice.

Offline MarkM

« Reply #3991 on: November 26, 2015, 07:49:46 AM »
Agree on the chicken curry

The fruit AB biscuits were ok, we had foxes glacier fruits in ours. Only problem was that they had been in the packs so long the wrappers were glued to the sweets!

Offline brian green

• GM : 19.06.2020
« Reply #3992 on: November 26, 2015, 07:57:05 AM »
Thanks manic. All that picture needs is a Benghazi.  An invention of the magnitude of the wheel and the printing press, a metal cone inside a metal cylinder of the same base diameter. Top cut off cone.  Fill space between cone and cylinder with water, pour petrol on the ground, place Benghazi on  petrol soaked earth/sand/snow. Light petrol. Make tea. It was our secret weapon with which Rommel was defeated, hence the name.
No snakes were harmed in the preparation of this post.

Offline mr underhill

« Reply #3993 on: November 26, 2015, 12:39:24 PM »
I'm not being ageist, but can someone tell me what period this rations pack thingy relates to?

Offline MarkM

« Reply #3994 on: November 26, 2015, 12:52:08 PM »
I'm not being ageist, but can someone tell me what period this rations pack thingy relates to?

I was using a similar pack in the late 80's

Offline Dave Cooper please

• GM : 20.04.2019
« Reply #3995 on: November 26, 2015, 12:59:15 PM »

The one in the picture were bought in in 1970 and was replaced with a new type using foil pouches rather than tins in 1997.
Font of all useless knowledge me!

Offline tomd2103

« Reply #3996 on: November 26, 2015, 01:01:31 PM »
Back on topic to Delph.  I noticed he was shoved out wide left last night and was totally ineffective.  I'm sure his family are doing well though.

Online Jon Crofts

• GM : PCM
« Reply #3997 on: November 27, 2015, 03:06:18 PM »

The one in the picture were bought in in 1970 and was replaced with a new type using foil pouches rather than tins in 1997.
Font of all useless knowledge me!

The picture is slightly misleading however, as any anorak will know, rice was only ever found in the Arctic pack and not in the GS pack which the remainder of the items are from.

Offline aj2k77

« Reply #3998 on: November 27, 2015, 03:12:08 PM »
It's getting cold, I hope Fabian brings his blanket and a flask of something warm to the games to get him through winter.

Online Jon Crofts

• GM : PCM
« Reply #3999 on: November 27, 2015, 03:12:51 PM »
Thanks manic. All that picture needs is a Benghazi.  An invention of the magnitude of the wheel and the printing press, a metal cone inside a metal cylinder of the same base diameter. Top cut off cone.  Fill space between cone and cylinder with water, pour petrol on the ground, place Benghazi on  petrol soaked earth/sand/snow. Light petrol. Make tea. It was our secret weapon with which Rommel was defeated, hence the name.
No snakes were harmed in the preparation of this post.

The RQ had one, had an amazing ability to 'backfire' at the most inopportune moments often setting young officers alight or at least had them running to their stand to positions the eejits.

Offline levico

« Reply #4000 on: November 27, 2015, 03:18:03 PM »
This thread is like some spurned lover who swears he us over his ex but still keeps going on about her.

Can't we just lock it and move on?

Offline mr underhill

« Reply #4001 on: November 27, 2015, 03:28:32 PM »
stop being a curmudgeon - where's the harm in it!

Offline brian green

• GM : 19.06.2020
« Reply #4002 on: November 27, 2015, 07:33:09 PM »
My oldest brother was in the tail end of the Korean War (the war with Hawkeye and Hotlips Houlahan to you young lads) he said that when Bill Speakman VC of the Gloucesters won his VC fighting off the Chinese on a hilltop when he ran out of ammo he pelted them with tins of Compo rations.

Offline TheMalandro

• GM : 06.03.2016
« Reply #4003 on: November 28, 2015, 11:35:07 PM »
This thread is like some spurned lover who swears he us over his ex but still keeps going on about her.

Can't we just lock it and move on?

I'd really not thought too much about Delph before today, but now I'm worked up again

Offline adrenachrome

« Reply #4004 on: November 29, 2015, 12:07:17 AM »
I think there is a good case for moving the thread to another place.

On the other hand, we are doomed so early in the season that I predict new and disturbing outbreaks of forms of gallows humour which will make this thread seem like a minor distraction. The Boys From The Black Stuff willl seem like The Good Life by comparison.

He started and scored today, by the way.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal