collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Fabian Delph - Signed for Manchester City  (Read 633793 times)

Offline Des Little

• GM : 03.05.2021
Re: Fabian Delph - Signed for Manchester City
« Reply #4470 on: July 17, 2019, 10:17:16 AM »
Delph has joined Walcott in the former footballer's retirement home in Merseyside.

Offline Drummond

• GM : 10.10.2024
« Reply #4471 on: July 17, 2019, 10:47:42 AM »
Delph or McGinn?

Behave.

A player in the twilight of his career with the moral backbone of a jellyfish.

Or our very own modern day Braveheart with his best years ahead of him?

Exactly my point.

Offline Ad@m

• GM : 23.03.2023
« Reply #4472 on: July 17, 2019, 01:02:55 PM »
Delph or McGinn?

Behave.

A player in the twilight of his career with the moral backbone of a jellyfish.

Or our very own modern day Braveheart with his best years ahead of him?

Exactly my point.

Ah, sorry.  I thought the question was genuine rather than rhetorical.

Offline Rudy Can't Fail

• http://www.heroespredictions.co.uk/pl/
« Reply #4473 on: July 17, 2019, 06:17:21 PM »
Delph and Grealish had a good understanding and linked well together especially in the Liverpool semi, so he would have been a decent signing for us. Still I can understand there is bad feeling among some and I suppose it doesn't fit in with our new philosophy.

The problem I always had with Delph was he only turned up for 45 minutes, normally the 2nd half. Now that may have been down to instruction, tactics or lack of them but he was such a great player that could drive the team forward, it was strange he only got into top gear for part of the game.

John McGinn he ain't.

Offline ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #4474 on: July 17, 2019, 08:00:34 PM »
Delph has joined Walcott in the former footballer's retirement home in Merseyside.
Good point well made.

Offline paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #4475 on: July 17, 2019, 08:26:23 PM »
Delph and Grealish had a good understanding and linked well together especially in the Liverpool semi, so he would have been a decent signing for us. Still I can understand there is bad feeling among some and I suppose it doesn't fit in with our new philosophy.

The problem I always had with Delph was he only turned up for 45 minutes, normally the 2nd half. Now that may have been down to instruction, tactics or lack of them but he was such a great player that could drive the team forward, it was strange he only got into top gear for part of the game.

John McGinn he ain't.

He should've been but a nasty injury when he first arrived and then a club going backwards with twats like McLeish and Lambert in charge meant he never came close to being the player he should've been.

Offline Rigadon

• GM : Aug, 2014
« Reply #4476 on: July 17, 2019, 08:50:35 PM »
Delph was emerging as a proper midfielder when he retired to Man City.  I wouldn't have him now because we have better. 

Offline oldhill_avfc

« Reply #4477 on: July 17, 2019, 10:23:57 PM »
grealish excepted ~ who?

Offline brontebilly

• GM : 09.06.2024
« Reply #4478 on: July 17, 2019, 10:56:29 PM »

John McGinn he ain't.

He should've been but a nasty injury when he first arrived and then a club going backwards with twats like McLeish and Lambert in charge meant he never came close to being the player he should've been.

At one stage he was genuinely in the running for one of the worst midfielders we ever had. I have a memory of Delph being booed off in a few games under Lambert when he was a complete passenger. His efforts under MON, Houllier and McLeish, I can't remember anything from him, did he go on loan at one stage?

Not sure what turned his career around at Villa Park, injuries clearing up and stopping kamikaze tackles helped, but he was a very good player for us in a poor side under Lambert/Sherwood. West Brom cup quarter final stands out. Good signing for Everton. We have McGinn and Hourihane for his position now so not one for us.

Offline ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #4479 on: July 17, 2019, 11:36:43 PM »
I can’t see how it’s a good signing for Everton, he is a spent force and an expensive spent force at that.

Offline KRS

« Reply #4480 on: July 17, 2019, 11:54:08 PM »
It’s a good signing for Everton because he’s cheap as chips (even if his wages could be still very high).

Offline paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #4481 on: July 18, 2019, 09:37:05 AM »

At one stage he was genuinely in the running for one of the worst midfielders we ever had. I have a memory of Delph being booed off in a few games under Lambert when he was a complete passenger. His efforts under MON, Houllier and McLeish, I can't remember anything from him, did he go on loan at one stage?

Not sure what turned his career around at Villa Park, injuries clearing up and stopping kamikaze tackles helped, but he was a very good player for us in a poor side under Lambert/Sherwood. West Brom cup quarter final stands out. Good signing for Everton. We have McGinn and Hourihane for his position now so not one for us.

I remember saying at the time that I thought it was because his body was a yard behind his brain. He knew he should be able to do things but when he tried they just didn't work because he just couldn't get the fitness and consistent gametime that he needed. Once he got over that hump without picking up another knock he improved quickly but he probably lost 3-4 years of his career in the middle.

I think if he'd gone to a club that was not fighting relegation and where he'd have been a regular starter he would've become one of the top midfielders in the country but his irregular game time at Man City just pushed him back to being the player we saw struggle for consistency for a few seasons.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal