collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Enjoying being excited again  (Read 12860 times)

Offline Hookeysmith

• GM : 06.02.2025
Enjoying being excited again
« on: August 19, 2013, 09:18:59 AM »
Not just because of the win on Sat, although that certainly helped, but i have a genuine passion for us again that was nearly wiped out with the disasterous project with TSM.

I could not wait to see them in pre season and cannot wait even more to see this side take on 'The Mighty Reds YNWA'

Even if results dont go our way, and i am sure we will get tonked as many times as we tonk others - the Sunderland game highlighted just how much of an exciting attacking force we can be

To go into to every game knowing that the manager has installed in them the willingness to graft, play at pace and score goals to win the game is so refreshing and i cannot wait for the first home game

Lets make it a sell out!

Offline LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
Re: Enjoying being excited again
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2013, 10:56:24 AM »
Amen to that.

Offline not3bad

• GM : 15.06.2022
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2013, 11:14:28 AM »
When TSM was sacked many people (including myself) said things like "I just want to look forward to going down the Villa again".  Mission accomplished!  ;D

Offline Virgil Caine

• Location: Bedfordshire and its not as bad as you think it might be.
  • GM : 15.07.2024
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2013, 11:22:53 AM »
Whether it is blindness on my part is that I truly believe that our defence is not as bad as we assume it is. It would be interesting to see the stats on goals against since the Bradford 2nd leg and the percentage that have come from set pieces. It is for this reason that I am very optimistic for the coming season, I believe we have a good back line, supported by an excellent goalkeeper, a forward 3 that will cause havoc, a developing midfield( I would like a creative one in there) and a subs bench which looks really pacy. It's going to be a very enjoyable season.

Offline eastie

« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2013, 11:23:40 AM »
Lets enjoy the journey and see where it take us - certainly the feel good factor is running through the club again and this team will only get better .

Offline PGW

• Villan, Bear and now Cancer Warrior
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2013, 11:25:44 AM »
When TSM was sacked many people (including myself) said things like "I just want to look forward to going down the Villa again".  Mission accomplished!  ;D
Absolutely - i suffered great depression under TSM and struggled around Christmas to come to terms with what PL was trying to achieve after 'that run' of results. I am so chuffed that i stuck with it and the fruits of our labours are now bearing rich fruit. Saturday was absolutely fantastic. It was great to be part of that - my mate and my son and i just got hammered with joy after game that we missed last train home i think it was 21:43 we were still in the Drayton at 21:40....had to fly to Victoria and catch a coach......we caught one.......if ever there was a train to miss this was it......awesome day!!!!! 4 fu*king hours on that coach failed to dampen my spirits - 03:20 got to Digbeth 04:00 home 04:02 watching MOTD......happy bunny all over again!!!!

Offline Smoke

• GM : Aug, 2013
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2013, 11:37:52 AM »
@ My Left Foot
Since Bradford Home

Played - 17  Goals For -  32  Goal Against - 28

Defence  = hmmmmmm

I'm really excited for the season, I certainly don't think we'll be drawing many games!
« Last Edit: August 19, 2013, 11:39:54 AM by Smoke »

Online ADVILLAFAN

• GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2013, 11:48:23 AM »
I think McLeish comes across as a decent person tbh, but the football we played when he was in charge was dire. I only went as I felt obligated.

Offline pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2013, 11:53:05 AM »
I think McLeish comes across as a decent person tbh, but the football we played when he was in charge was dire. I only went as I felt obligated.

Have to admit, I had my season ticket still at that point, but missed loads of matches that season. Mostly for factors beyond my control, but I wasn't really shedding too many tears.

It was a horrible, horrible season.

Offline eastie

« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2013, 11:54:12 AM »

I've no problem with Mcleish as a person , but as a football manager he sets out to play in a very negative way which you may be able to do at blues but certainly at villa we expect better football.

Offline LeeB

« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2013, 11:55:51 AM »

I'm choosing to look at that time as a necessary evil, a year 0 if you like, and it allowed the space for Lambert to go about the job the way he has.

It could all still go tits up, but I really feel Lambert is capable of doing something extraordinary with us. I wouldn't swap him for anyone.

Offline eastie

« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2013, 11:58:33 AM »

I'm choosing to look at that time as a necessary evil, a year 0 if you like, and it allowed the space for Lambert to go about the job the way he has.

It could all still go tits up, but I really feel Lambert is capable of doing something extraordinary with us. I wouldn't swap him for anyone.

I don't know about extraordinary as without the huge finances of the top clubs its hard to break into that elite group but i can see him doing a similar job here to what moyes did at everton and establish us back around the top 6 on a regular basis .
Top 6 , European football and a cup or two during his reign will do very nicely indeed.

Offline LeeB

« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2013, 12:03:04 PM »

I don't know about extraordinary as without the huge finances of the top clubs its hard to break into that elite group but i can see him doing a similar job here to what moyes did at everton and establish us back around the top 6 on a regular basis .
Top 6 , European football and a cup or two during his reign will do very nicely indeed.

Realistically yes, but he's so much better than his peers that it won't matter what they've got.

Offline LeeS

• GM : 12.01.2025
« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2013, 12:05:03 PM »
If we beat Chelsea (which I think is a tough ask) this site is going to go ballistic.

Offline supertom

« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2013, 12:08:56 PM »
McLeish's main problem was that his game rests on having a very good defence and nicking games by a goal. His first season in the Prem with the Blues they did well. Solid in mid-table. They didn't score many but Johnson and Dann were solid at the back and they didn't concede that many either.
Unfortunately our defence under McLeish was mediocre. It's not even so much that he's particularly good at organising a backline, it's just that he will happily sit 10 men behind the ball.

I think seriously he was hoping to defend through most of our games and have the pace of Gabby, Zog and Bent on the break to nick a few goals. It didn't work out that way.

The most depressing moment for me, under TSM was the last game. We'd secured safety with a game to space. No pressure. At  Norwich, a beatable team. We could have gone out and tried to finish the season with at least some kind of flourish. But he played the most horrifically negative side. It was pathetic. Playing for a 0-0 in a game where result didn't matter and we could have afforded a bit of attacking intent. Our only three attacking players on the pitch were Gabby, Ireland and Heskey. Gab was having a nightmare in the tail end of that season. Heskey was played left wing IIRC. Ireland was typically anonymous. It was a wretched display and pretty much nailed in a few extra nails in a coffin that was firmly shut already for TSM.

I never want to experience a game like that again. It's the definition of Anti-football.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal