collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

NSWE Investment by Fasth56
[Today at 11:02:53 AM]

Summer 2024 Transfer Window - hopes, speculation, rumours etc. by Demitri_C
[Today at 11:02:43 AM]

UEFA Europa Conference League-Knockout stages (Olympiacos) by Demitri_C
[Today at 10:59:42 AM]

Leon Bailey - signed by AV84
[Today at 10:32:50 AM]

Lille vs Aston Villa post-match thread by AV84
[Today at 10:31:25 AM]

Championship Memories by Mellin
[Today at 10:14:25 AM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 09:42:20 AM]

FA Cup replays scrapped by tomd2103
[Today at 09:31:13 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: The Match of the Day Thread  (Read 45543 times)

Offline Percy McCarthy

• King City Online
Re: The Match of the Day Thread
« Reply #255 on: May 10, 2014, 04:38:27 PM »
Have they done Danny Mills yet? I asked him if he had seen much of Villa last season, he said he only did matches involving teams at the top and the bottom. Villa were fourth from bottom at the time, I don't think he actually does any 'research' as such.

I don't think any pundit does except Gary Neville.

Don't know if he does research, but Carragher does a very good double-act with Neville. They were calling each other Derek Hatton and Ed Miliband the other week, and the burglar exchange was good fun too:

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=kv9F8Y57GCM

Offline class-of-82

• GM : 05.04.2015
« Reply #256 on: May 10, 2014, 07:43:00 PM »
Gary Neville puts those boring monotanus overpaid idiots on motd to shame. He was a footballer I didn't like only because I wanted a full back like him in a villa shirt

Offline eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #257 on: May 10, 2014, 10:04:18 PM »
Have they done Danny Mills yet? I asked him if he had seen much of Villa last season, he said he only did matches involving teams at the top and the bottom. Villa were fourth from bottom at the time, I don't think he actually does any 'research' as such.

Maybe he was trying to be kind to a Villa fan and not kick him when we're down (or nearly were). Or maybe Villa haven't crossed his mind since Lee Hendrie faux/headbutted him a decade plus ago...that was Mills wasn't it? Or maybe it was Gary Speed. Hendrie and Mills were born on the same day and to bring this back on topic I was surprised to see the little one covering a game on Sky Sports News recently. Would never have seen Hendrie being a pundit but fair play.

Offline silhillvilla

• GM : Dec, 2014
« Reply #258 on: May 10, 2014, 10:17:27 PM »
Gary Neville is a great pundit . Puts the dross the BBC force upon us look like retarded chimps.
Gary lineker should be retired off like Hansen has been. Why is Robbie Savage constantly on ? Absolute waste of tax payers money as is Shearer .

Offline Jarpie

« Reply #259 on: May 10, 2014, 11:18:05 PM »
Gary Lineker is pretty good hosting the show but change would be for good, but the "experts" are fucking horrible in MOTD. Even finnish pundits in finnish champions league and international tournaments are better. By far the best finnish pundit is Jari Litmanen, sadly he isn't on nearly enough.

Offline SheffieldVillain

• GM : 18.02.2022
« Reply #260 on: May 10, 2014, 11:19:44 PM »
Even finnish pundits in finnish champions league and international tournaments are better. By far the best finnish pundit is Jari Litmanen, sadly he isn't on nearly enough.

There's a blast from the past. What a player he was too.

Offline Percy McCarthy

• King City Online
« Reply #261 on: May 10, 2014, 11:22:11 PM »
Even finnish pundits in finnish champions league and international tournaments are better. By far the best finnish pundit is Jari Litmanen, sadly he isn't on nearly enough.

Class.

Offline Jarpie

« Reply #262 on: May 10, 2014, 11:28:00 PM »

Yeah, I don't think I've ever seen many better players or better playmakers since I started watching football in 1990. Too bad he went to play for Ajax and not for Aston Villa in 1992, boy he would've been great in PL.

Someone put 10 minute compilation of him in youtube from the last season he played in finnish league. His mobility and legs had gone by then but he still had his vision and intelligence still left.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IvzXXg9PrOg

Offline eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #263 on: May 11, 2014, 02:27:04 AM »
And he scored the easiest goal of his career against us thanks to Schmeichael's dopey throw-out.

Offline Gregorys Boy

« Reply #264 on: May 11, 2014, 07:13:06 PM »
The mistake the BEEB have made is by making too many changes whereas three or four good ones to freshen things up would work.  The best of the new pundits for me have been Kevin Kilbane, Danny Murphy and Schmeichael.

I wish Hansen the best in his retirement, yes he has gotten stale, but he really has set the standard for pundits over the years and has been legend in that professional.  Also he is someone who really comes alive at International tournaments when he is actually at the games, and gets to talk about the wider issues outside of just the game.

Lee Dixon is a real loss for them.   He is wasted on ITV.

Offline Rudy65

« Reply #265 on: May 11, 2014, 07:15:37 PM »

Yeah, I don't think I've ever seen many better players or better playmakers since I started watching football in 1990. Too bad he went to play for Ajax and not for Aston Villa in 1992, boy he would've been great in PL.

Someone put 10 minute compilation of him in youtube from the last season he played in finnish league. His mobility and legs had gone by then but he still had his vision and intelligence still left.

Jari and Merson equal the same kind of player

Offline Jarpie

« Reply #266 on: May 11, 2014, 07:47:11 PM »

Jari and Merson equal the same kind of player

Merson didn't play for us in 1992-1997 when Litmanen was at his prime when I'd wanted him to play for us. Litti's career was ruined in very late 90s and early 2000s by numerous injuries and he was never quite the same player after he left Ajax.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal