collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Anyone see resemblance with the 76/77 side  (Read 6241 times)

Online Stu

• GM : 09.04.2021
Re: Anyone see resemblance with the 76/77 side
« Reply #15 on: August 19, 2013, 10:57:48 AM »
I think we'll still toil at home more than away because the counter-attack remains our best weapon of attack.

Yep, totally agree with this.

Offline Hookeysmith

• GM : 06.02.2025
« Reply #16 on: August 19, 2013, 01:04:05 PM »
Dare i say that we seem to be aping the team of MON's 3rd year
Fast, counter attacking play with exciting forward players

Bloody hell even PL jigs around like him when we score  :o

Offline richardhubbard

« Reply #17 on: August 19, 2013, 01:21:35 PM »
Come on, they were the best Villa team any H&Ver has ever seen! We're decidedly ramshackle in comparison.

Not old to remember 77 side but surely 81 better

Offline Concrete John

• GM : Mar, 2014
« Reply #18 on: August 19, 2013, 01:29:48 PM »
No two teams and no two seasons are the same.  That having been said, I do see a resemblance to 95/96.  Sorry - was only 1 year old for 76/77!

1.  New young manager.
2.  Difficult first season with signs of what he was trying to build.
3.  Busy summer of transfers.
4.  Moving old players on and building around youth.
5.  Beat a top side 3-1 on opening day.

I think style wise the two sides are different, as Brian built his around a a solid defence and had seasoned pros such as Townsend and McGrath, but the steps to building something great do seem to be similar. 
« Last Edit: August 19, 2013, 01:50:31 PM by Concrete John »

Offline amfy

• GM : 07.07.2024
« Reply #19 on: August 19, 2013, 01:48:03 PM »
Probably hyperbole after the result today. However, some real similarities. Young team, great centre forward, great counter attacking side, underestimated by the experts and a young upcoming manager.

Lets hope the outcome is the same! Lots of goals, great attacking football and a trophy and fourth place finish.

Although 81 and 82 were great seasons for obvious reasons, 76/77 is the stand out season in my life time, just for the sheer entertainment
76/77 is also my all-time favourite season .... but I'll reserve judgement on this lot right now. We lack a Sid Cowans i n the middle and the defensive solidity that we had back then.
But ask again in 2 months' time!
Sid Cowans was still a 17 year old rookie sub in 76/77. Didn't begin to establish himself till after the Cropley leg break the following season, & I don't think he was seen as the player he is now for a while longer than that. We may yet have another Sid  coming through!

Online rob_bridge

« Reply #20 on: August 19, 2013, 01:53:49 PM »
Another one too young to remember for 1977.

1980-81 was surely the best team though just because of the position at the end of the season.

1995-96 was a great season because it did in part come a bit from left field.

I'll settle for anything near as good as any of them

Offline Concrete John

• GM : Mar, 2014
« Reply #21 on: August 19, 2013, 01:54:23 PM »
Probably hyperbole after the result today. However, some real similarities. Young team, great centre forward, great counter attacking side, underestimated by the experts and a young upcoming manager.

Lets hope the outcome is the same! Lots of goals, great attacking football and a trophy and fourth place finish.

Although 81 and 82 were great seasons for obvious reasons, 76/77 is the stand out season in my life time, just for the sheer entertainment
76/77 is also my all-time favourite season .... but I'll reserve judgement on this lot right now. We lack a Sid Cowans i n the middle and the defensive solidity that we had back then.
But ask again in 2 months' time!
Sid Cowans was still a 17 year old rookie sub in 76/77. Didn't begin to establish himself till after the Cropley leg break the following season, & I don't think he was seen as the player he is now for a while longer than that. We may yet have another Sid  coming through!

Westwood?

Offline Big Dick Edwards

« Reply #22 on: August 20, 2013, 07:12:10 PM »
With respect to both you and young Ashley, Westwood will never be another Gordon Cowans. At a time when the Press salivated over Bryan Robson's tenacity and drive and Glenn Hoddle's passing ability, Sid was a combination of the two, the best all round midfield player of his generation. 

Offline Rudy Can't Fail

• http://www.heroespredictions.co.uk/pl/
« Reply #23 on: August 20, 2013, 07:26:21 PM »
Dare i say that we seem to be aping the team of MON's 3rd year
Fast, counter attacking play with exciting forward players

Bloody hell even PL jigs around like him when we score  :o

I think too much is being made of our counter attacking. For a start, we can pass the ball around comfortably, there's next to no hoofing, we can be patient in our build ups and we'll adapt our tactics to whoever we're facing. I'm sure Lambert has more than Plan A, unlike the tactically clueless twat.

Offline Jim Shoes

« Reply #24 on: August 21, 2013, 11:56:11 AM »
3 up top, Gray, Little and Johnny Deehan were awesome but Sid, Croperly and Mortimer made the team tick imo. For those of you too young to have seen that team play you have my sympathies, they were fantastic at times.

I can see some likeness with today as in Benteke, Gabby and AW are exciting to watch but the midfield is lacking that cutting edge but I'm enjoying watching this team develop.

Online LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #25 on: August 21, 2013, 12:28:19 PM »
With respect to both you and young Ashley, Westwood will never be another Gordon Cowans. At a time when the Press salivated over Bryan Robson's tenacity and drive and Glenn Hoddle's passing ability, Sid was a combination of the two, the best all round midfield player of his generation. 

I agree.

Although I once told him he was a better player than Gazza, and he laughed at me and told me he wasn't fit to lace his boots!

Offline Rudy65

« Reply #26 on: August 21, 2013, 10:14:26 PM »
In 76/77 we destroyed teams. In 80/81 we consistently beat teams and were deserved champions. Coming on the back of 75/76 the following season was immense.

No comparison in which team was more successful. Just happen to think 76/77 was more exciting

Offline dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #27 on: August 21, 2013, 10:27:53 PM »

I agree.

Although I once told him he was a better player than Gazza, and he laughed at me and told me he wasn't fit to lace his boots!

Sid hardly played in 1976-77 until the last month when the injuries piled up.

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #28 on: August 21, 2013, 10:30:58 PM »
I think it will be more a mix of 89/90 and 95/96. Probably less successful  due to how the league is now but we'll surprise a lot of people, including some of our own fans.

Offline sid1964

« Reply #29 on: August 22, 2013, 07:42:31 AM »
76 - 77 was the best football I have seen down the Villa, we should have won the league that season but the cups took there toll on us.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal