collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Posts

Re: New Shirt Sponsor by Somniloquism
[Today at 09:58:07 AM]

Re: Aston Villa vs Chelsea pre-match thread by JD
[Today at 09:57:21 AM]

Re: Aston Villa vs Chelsea pre-match thread by Brend'Watkins
[Today at 09:57:11 AM]

Re: New Shirt Sponsor by Risso
[Today at 09:56:27 AM]

Re: Unai Emery - our manager by Clampy
[Today at 09:55:48 AM]

Re: New Shirt Sponsor by Dogtanian
[Today at 09:55:24 AM]

Re: Unai Emery - our manager by Simon Page
[Today at 09:53:33 AM]

Re: NSWE Investment by LeeS
[Today at 09:52:38 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: One Show  (Read 7451 times)

Online Lizz

• GM : 16.03.2022
Re: One Show
« Reply #15 on: August 16, 2013, 09:54:02 PM »
Probably was mentioned before but did anyone watch the footballer secret suicide program fronted by Clark Carlisle.

He interviewed Hendrie. To be fair Hendrie looked after his family by buying them houses, but then the property slump screwed him over.

I'm probably spectacularly missing something here, but I've always wondered in situations like this why the relatives can't/don't contribute to their own housing costs. I remember reading an interview with Heather McCartney Mills when she said something about having to work to pay for her siblings' houses. Why???? Don't get me wrong, if one of my siblings offered to buy me property I'd happily accept.

Offline silhillvilla

• GM : Dec, 2014
« Reply #16 on: August 16, 2013, 09:55:29 PM »
"It's everyone Else's fault" syndrome. I'd have a little more respect if people like Hendrie took a bit of responsibility for their own actions.There is only a handful of ex Villa players I really dislike , and he is one of them.
Who are the others ? Hodge , Unsworth, Downing ?

Online rob_bridge

« Reply #17 on: August 16, 2013, 09:57:12 PM »
Probably was mentioned before but did anyone watch the footballer secret suicide program fronted by Clark Carlisle.

He interviewed Hendrie. To be fair Hendrie looked after his family by buying them houses, but then the property slump screwed him over.

He said the houses he bought for his family were repossessed.

I found myself thinking that, given that they were mortgaged or in his name (for them to have been snatched back), that's a pretty liberal definition of "buying" someone a house.

Nobody has bought a house if it has a mortgage, they are in the process of buying one - normally over 20+ years.

Offline Leighton

• Location: Walsall Wood. Home of the protesting Jesus on a telegraph pole.
« Reply #18 on: August 17, 2013, 12:07:40 AM »
There is only a handful of ex Villa players I really dislike , and he is one of them.

My feelings exactly. I despise him. It really pisses me off when he is introduced as a "Villa legend" during a halftime pitch presentation.

Online LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #19 on: August 17, 2013, 10:16:26 AM »
Why would you 'despise' him, unless you we're extremely petty and jealous?

He played for us for 10 years, when we were halfway decent, and on occasion he let himself down but in honesty no worse than anyone I know (including me) as a young man.

I don't get the bitterness.

Offline Chris Smith

• GM : 08.01.2025
« Reply #20 on: August 17, 2013, 10:27:11 AM »
I agree, Lee. He was a bit stupid at times but he's not alone in that, if you throw huge amounts of money and adulation at young men it's not a surprise if some of them fuck up occasionally. 

Offline Chris Smith

• GM : 08.01.2025
« Reply #21 on: August 17, 2013, 10:30:39 AM »

I found myself thinking that, given that they were mortgaged or in his name (for them to have been snatched back), that's a pretty liberal definition of "buying" someone a house.

Nobody has bought a house if it has a mortgage, they are in the process of buying one - normally over 20+ years.

That's not really true. You've bought the house, you have just borrowed the money to do it. If you take your argument then everything bought on a credit card, or even many of our season tickets, belong to somebody else.

Offline KevinGage

• GM : 20.09.20
« Reply #22 on: August 17, 2013, 10:35:56 AM »
He was an arse, but for a time he was one of our better players.  From his debut in 97 up until the early noughties and again for a brief period in 2005.

I'd find it hard to feel sorry for him, as most of his problems are self inflicted.  Wouldn't particularly wish him any ill will either, mind. 

Offline kipeye

• GM : PCM
« Reply #23 on: August 17, 2013, 11:32:12 AM »
Why would you 'despise' him, unless you we're extremely petty and jealous?

He played for us for 10 years, when we were halfway decent, and on occasion he let himself down but in honesty no worse than anyone I know (including me) as a young man.

I don't get the bitterness.
This.

Offline Pete3206

• GM : PCM
« Reply #24 on: August 17, 2013, 11:43:48 AM »
There is only a handful of ex Villa players I really dislike , and he is one of them.

My feelings exactly. I despise him. It really pisses me off when he is introduced as a "Villa legend" during a halftime pitch presentation.

Players are are always introduced as 'legends' aren't they?.

Jack couldn't really build someone up by saying "Please welcome a player who was at Villa for a good number of years, had more than a few good games, before pissing all his money away.......Leeeeeee Hendrieeee!!!!"

Offline damon loves JT

• GM : 31.08.2016
« Reply #25 on: August 17, 2013, 12:29:55 PM »
It would be bloody brilliant though.

Offline Leighton

« Reply #26 on: August 17, 2013, 01:54:30 PM »
I despise him because I think he is a major prick. Jealous of him? Damn right, to have had his talent and wasted it by being a petulant little git, with a terrible attitude and making more money than I could dream of, then throwing it all away and now expecting sympathy. He's a prick. I despise him.

Offline danlanza

« Reply #27 on: August 17, 2013, 02:00:22 PM »
Strong words those are.

Offline Leighton

« Reply #28 on: August 17, 2013, 02:04:42 PM »
Few Villa related things rattle my cage more than him.

Online pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #29 on: August 17, 2013, 02:19:02 PM »

That's not really true. You've bought the house, you have just borrowed the money to do it. If you take your argument then everything bought on a credit card, or even many of our season tickets, belong to somebody else.

Strictly speaking, don't the building society hold the deeds until the mortgage is paid? And it's a bit different from credit cards because the loan to buy the house is secured - against the house itself.

Anyway, to get back to what Rob said, I know that's how mortgages work, what I was saying is that, as the mortgage will have been in his own name (for them to get repossessed), strictly speaking, they were living in houses he had bought for himself, rather than ones he'd paid a lump of cash for and given to them.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal