collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Southampton Away date change  (Read 8802 times)

Online dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
Re: Southampton Away date change
« Reply #15 on: August 14, 2013, 09:07:32 PM »
Southampton Away in the week, what a piss take
This.
No way I can get to this anyway, but still a ridiculous day/time.

There always has to be some midweeks games and Southampton is hardly a long journey now.

It's 140 miles which in rush hour will take hours. Its also further away than all but 2 of the rest of the teams in the division with the majority of the journey on A and B roads.

Is it really beyond the wit of man to arrange local games for the midweek fixtures?

I'd rather try to get there than any of the London grounds, and yet again it comes down to the number of factors that go into compiling the fixtures. Somebody has to go to Southampton midweek and we're closer than most.

Offline Ad@m

• GM : 23.03.2023
« Reply #16 on: August 14, 2013, 09:16:05 PM »
This.

There always has to be some midweeks games and Southampton is hardly a long journey now.

It's 140 miles which in rush hour will take hours. Its also further away than all but 2 of the rest of the teams in the division with the majority of the journey on A and B roads.

Is it really beyond the wit of man to arrange local games for the midweek fixtures?

I'd rather try to get there than any of the London grounds, and yet again it comes down to the number of factors that go into compiling the fixtures. Somebody has to go to Southampton midweek and we're closer than most.

By my reckoning there are 9 clubs closer than us and 9 further away. Why cant one of the closer 9 play there midweek?

Online dave.woodhall

« Reply #17 on: August 14, 2013, 09:17:48 PM »
This.

By my reckoning there are 9 clubs closer than us and 9 further away. Why cant one of the closer 9 play there midweek?

Maybe they're playing somewhere else? Much as we'd like them to, the Premier League don't arrange their entire fixture list for our benefit.

Offline nordenvillain

« Reply #18 on: August 14, 2013, 09:41:30 PM »
Tuesday 3rd December 2013 : Swansea City v Newcastle United - 353 miles each way, i.e 706 mile round trip and you think we've got it bad ! The beauty of being a Villa fan, no away journey more than 400 mjike round trip.

Offline Ad@m

« Reply #19 on: August 14, 2013, 09:45:35 PM »
Nor would I expect the Premier League to arrange the fixtures for our benefit but it seems that when they arrange the fixtures the fans are bottom of the list of people to consider, again.

As proven by the ridiculous Swansea v Newcastle game on a weekday all clubs get shafted. I'm sure there are plenty more examples.

Once again, I'm sure the human race is bright enough to work out how not to have massive away journeys on the few weekday fixtures there are each season.

Online dave.woodhall

« Reply #20 on: August 14, 2013, 09:47:29 PM »
Nor would I expect the Premier League to arrange the fixtures for our benefit but it seems that when they arrange the fixtures the fans are bottom of the list of people to consider, again.

As proven by the ridiculous Swansea v Newcastle game on a weekday all clubs get shafted. I'm sure there are plenty more examples.

Once again, I'm sure the human race is bright enough to work out how not to have massive away journeys on the few weekday fixtures there are each season.

Except they haven't. They don't do it deliberately.

Offline Ad@m

« Reply #21 on: August 14, 2013, 09:54:37 PM »

Ignoring fixtures screwed up by TV companies and the Christmas period there are 3 midweek fixtures this season. Do you genuinely believe its impossible for them to arrange closer fixtures for everyone across those three games?

I think the reality is that while they don't necessarily deliberately put in long distance games they make absolutely no effort to consider the fans. It's random and as far as the Premier League is concerned if fans have to take a day off work to get to the game then so be it.

Online Dave

• GM : 04.01.2024
« Reply #22 on: August 14, 2013, 10:00:06 PM »
Do you genuinely believe its impossible for them to arrange closer fixtures for everyone across those three games?
The other issue of course is that they're not going to want fixtures too 'close' (Swansea - Cardiff, Newcastle - Sunderland, Villa - West Brom) happening on a weekday evening.

Online dave.woodhall

« Reply #23 on: August 14, 2013, 10:01:56 PM »

Ignoring fixtures screwed up by TV companies and the Christmas period there are 3 midweek fixtures this season. Do you genuinely believe its impossible for them to arrange closer fixtures for everyone across those three games?

I think the reality is that while they don't necessarily deliberately put in long distance games they make absolutely no effort to consider the fans. It's random and as far as the Premier League is concerned if fans have to take a day off work to get to the game then so be it.

It's perfectly possible for them to arrange more fan-friendly fixtures on three dates. The problem is arranging them around the other 35. 

They do consider the fans - they spend all year putting the fixtures together and supporters have an input. But the trouble is fitting games into increasingly fewer available dates.

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #24 on: August 14, 2013, 10:03:15 PM »
I blame the rest of the local teams for being so shit that there is hardly anyone to play in this division who are close.

Offline Andy_Lochhead_in_the_air

• Location: Upton Park....No, Olympic Stadium....No, Aston Park...Yes that's it,Turf Moor.
« Reply #25 on: August 15, 2013, 08:18:25 AM »
Driving wise, Southampton is an easy mid week trip.
I would say preferable to any London game battling through rush hour traffic.

Online Nev

• GM : 03.02.2022
« Reply #26 on: August 15, 2013, 08:26:59 AM »
The way fans are treated these days, particularly when it comes to TV games, arguing about long distance midweek fixtures is like arguing which side of the Titanic to jump off.

Offline Andy_Lochhead_in_the_air

• Location: Upton Park....No, Olympic Stadium....No, Aston Park...Yes that's it,Turf Moor.
« Reply #27 on: August 15, 2013, 08:51:46 AM »
In the Conference this season Gateshead have to play at Aldershot on a Tuesday night.

Offline andyh

• GM : May, 2012
« Reply #28 on: August 15, 2013, 08:53:57 AM »
Doesn't matter when we play them, I just want us to slaughter  the cheating bastards !! 

Offline Surrey Villain

« Reply #29 on: August 15, 2013, 11:20:44 AM »
The way fans are treated these days, particularly when it comes to TV games, arguing about long distance midweek fixtures is like arguing which side of the Titanic to jump off.

LOL

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal