collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Carruthers  (Read 4603 times)

Offline levico

Carruthers
« on: August 12, 2013, 11:01:07 AM »
Sorry if this has been covered elsewhere but I've just read that Samir is off to MK Dons on loan.

Whereas this is often a positive step for young players I'm just a little disappointed that this promising player can't get his experience from the Villa bench. Surely there will be opportunities for him to get on the pitch for us over the coming seasons.

What do others think?

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
Re: Carruthers
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2013, 11:04:21 AM »
He's made 3 league appearances for us so far, I think he'll improve as a player with more game time at MK than he will making the very occasional sub appearance for us.

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2013, 11:04:42 AM »
He'll learn more on loan there than he will playing for our reserves. It's a good move, so long as he plays.

Offline RussellC

• GM : 04.04.2016
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2013, 11:07:47 AM »
I've never been able to work-out where he should play. Not quick enough to be a winger, not physical enough to be a CM. I think this will eventually be his downfall as a top-class player. Can see him being a decent bet for someone in the Championship though.

Offline sirlordbaltimore

« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2013, 12:09:36 PM »

Should do him the world of good. Haven't really seen anything from him thus far to see why he'd be anywhere near our first team

Offline richardhubbard

« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2013, 12:10:11 PM »
6 month at that level will bring him rather than knocking around our squad.

Offline fredm

• GM : 02.09.2024
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2013, 12:19:27 PM »
Also takes him (and the others out on loan) out of their comfort zone and gets them involved in the muck and bullets of fighting for points in the lower leagues where, maybe, facilities etc are not as plush as they have become used to.

Offline Percy McCarthy

• King City Online
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2013, 12:46:15 PM »
The thing to do is spot the promise as they win the NextGen/FA Youth Cup, loan them out for a good spell to let them establish themselves somewhere, then scout them as you would any other transfer target and make a judgement on whether you would buy them if they weren't our player. If not, get rid.

Offline Hookeysmith

• GM : 06.02.2025
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2013, 12:46:48 PM »
PL made a great comment at the forum about youngsters. ITs ok being around the first team in the premiership with thoroughbred players but it is a really tough league. Young players can learn the skills and fitness of games but not the toughness. In the lower leagues they will come across journeymen who to play and win means bonuses and bonuses feed their families - thats how they get toughened up

Offline Dante Lavelli

• GM : 25.05.2023
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2013, 04:51:11 PM »
PL made a great comment at the forum about youngsters. ITs ok being around the first team in the premiership with thoroughbred players but it is a really tough league. Young players can learn the skills and fitness of games but not the toughness. In the lower leagues they will come across journeymen who to play and win means bonuses and bonuses feed their families - thats how they get toughened up

Cowans was saying how loans are better than sparse sub appearances and development football too. There seems to have been a bit of a shift in policy within the club which will hopefully improve our graduates.

Offline OCD

• http://www.rightconsultant.com
  • GM : May, 2012
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2013, 05:02:55 PM »
Cowans has also mentioned the size of opponents in the pre-season friendlies of the development squad. Looks like we've purposely put them up against big, physically strong teams. You used to get that in reserve games but at some point teams just starting using their kids in the reserves and that was formalised last year with the U21 development league.

Offline Rudy Can't Fail

• http://www.heroespredictions.co.uk/pl/
« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2013, 05:48:51 PM »
I'm all in favour of sending out our kids on loan providing they go to a team that play in a similar way to us, otherwise it makes no sense. I know nothing about the lower leagues but I'd hope there are sufficient teams down there that like to play football.

Offline Dante Lavelli

• GM : 25.05.2023
« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2013, 09:38:28 PM »
I'm all in favour of sending out our kids on loan providing they go to a team that play in a similar way to us, otherwise it makes no sense. I know nothing about the lower leagues but I'd hope there are sufficient teams down there that like to play football.

That's one reason why I'd like to see us start some sort of strategic allegiance with a smaller (localish) club.
We could also use it to allow young coaches to get experience etc.  If we got it right the two clubs to slowly grow together.   

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2013, 09:42:38 PM »
Albion would be ideal. Local, small club and they play like Brazil '70. Plus, when they are in the Championship next season they'll need a few Premier League quality players.

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2013, 10:42:49 PM »
I am really pleased the club are going down this route.

Yeah winning at reserve league regularly is all well and good but it didn't really do the class of 2002 or the finalists of 2008 much good in become regular premier league players for us for more than a year/18 months.

This route just might for them.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal